Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to use the AvisFirst free weekend coupon?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by mrblueeyes
That kind of sucks. I am going to try it with booked 2-day rental but I will return the car after 1 day. Wonder if that will work.

I have done that with the previous generation Avis free weekend coupons. The reservation agent had a hard time until we switched to a full 48 hour rental. Then I turned the car in a day early with no problems. I'd assume this will work the same way.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just used my first AvisFirst Free Weekend (3 day rental, 1 paid). Here is what I learned:

1 - when they tried to apply the coupon, it said max use reached. It turned out the system gets confused if you use make/cancel/make new reservations with the same code sometimes.

2 - the people on the front line somehow do not seem to know much about the coupon. I guess to us, it is a big deal. To them, it is just another coupon.

3 - It is electronic according to the Special Handling people - no need to print it. However, he said that it does not hurt to take it with you in case of disputes. The frontline people do not have a list of your coupons.

4 - Since it is officially a coupon, it is not combinable with anything - even the $25 customer service coupons.

5 - Find the best rates you can find using whatever AWD# and the free days are taken out from these rates.

6 - % based taxes are calculated after the deductions (i.e. % of $0 = 0). (Not sure about per day fixed taxes.)

Last edited by username; Sep 17, 2007 at 10:47 pm
Old Sep 17, 2007, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I returned a car today and was positively surprised to find that I was only charged the fixed fees. In Boston this is $10.60, including the $10 convention center fee (aka Mumbles Menino's petty cash pahty fund).

I thought they were going to apply the % tax and fees to the quoted rate and then deduct the base rate of the 2 days. I swear that the first time I booked this it went straight from the link and quoted with the free days deducted. But this time the link failed and I did it manually, including the coupon number.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 7:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by username
1 - when they tried to apply the coupon, it said max use reached. It turned out the system gets confused if you use make/cancel/make new reservations with the same code sometimes.
I had this happen to me with a res I tried to make today. The first guy I talked to pretty much told me tough luck. He tried to get me off the phone so many times. Finally, the third person I talked to helped me out and was able to apply the coupon to a reservation.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:24 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by gnaget
I returned a car today and was positively surprised to find that I was only charged the fixed fees. In Boston this is $10.60, including the $10 convention center fee (aka Mumbles Menino's petty cash pahty fund).

I thought they were going to apply the % tax and fees to the quoted rate and then deduct the base rate of the 2 days. I swear that the first time I booked this it went straight from the link and quoted with the free days deducted. But this time the link failed and I did it manually, including the coupon number.
I paid exactly $10.60 in BOS as well. Great deal. They had quoted me closer to $30 by phone, with all the taxes and fees.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:46 pm

What happens if you forget to give the coupon to the person checking the car in until *after* they print your receipt out? Can they fix it there or do you have to run inside or are you SOL?

Thanks!!!
To answer my own question: I had this happen to me. They cannot fix it right there. You have to go inside and they can apply the coupon to your rental.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by andymo99
I paid exactly $10.60 in BOS as well. Great deal. They had quoted me closer to $30 by phone, with all the taxes and fees.
I sometimes pick up the car in Cambridge at the Charles Hotel. It's actually more convenient in some circumstances. Then you avoid the convention center fee.

One problem that I had when I first attempted to book in Boston in August related to renting in Cambridge and returning at the airport, as I often do. The bonehead agent told me "no one-way rental". But this is not a one-way rental when you return at different locations within a city. Is my interpretation correct?

Do other locations with no fixed fees lead to $0.00 charges?
Old Sep 19, 2007, 2:43 pm

I thought that if the return location was within a certain distance from the renting location then it wasn't a "one way rental".
Old Sep 19, 2007, 2:57 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I wanted to pick up in Boston (near City Hall) and return at the airport. I was told this was a no-go according to the rules.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA - LFT GLD 1MM, UA - 2P, SPG - LFT Plat, Hyatt - Plat, HH - Gold, Avis - CHM
the avis in austin looked at me funny the first time i whipped out the email coupon confirmation. she begrudgingly took it. the second time i rented, she waved me off and wouldnt take the confirmation.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by wuhoo
the avis in austin looked at me funny the first time i whipped out the email coupon confirmation. she begrudgingly took it. the second time i rented, she waved me off and wouldnt take the confirmation.

Tell them to stick it in their ear next time. I don't even bring the e-mail confirmation. I just bring the code with me and have them input it into the system. I would also provide some feedback on avis.com about the person who wouldn't take it.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: Flying Nut
Three day rental and return in different city

I actual used my first two day rental on a car the weekend before the 4th of July in Austin. I rented the car for four days but after getting to San Antonio, I found I didnt need the car so I returned it to the SAT airport and just had it out for two days. ended up paying just the taxes, something like 10 to 20 dollars.

Didnt have the hassle of the wave off, in fact the preferred person got me a different car.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Scott6067
I actual used my first two day rental on a car the weekend before the 4th of July in Austin. I rented the car for four days but after getting to San Antonio, I found I didnt need the car so I returned it to the SAT airport and just had it out for two days. ended up paying just the taxes, something like 10 to 20 dollars.

Didnt have the hassle of the wave off, in fact the preferred person got me a different car.
Good to know that you were able to return it to a different location without any added costs.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 1:41 pm

I rented in BOS this weekend and supposedly there was a "blackout" on Avis Frist coupon usage in effect there. I didn't have any problems getting the person checking my car in to apply the coupon. They were a little confused why I didn't have a hard copy of the coupon but once I semi-nicely explained it to them they punched it in and applied it to the rental. ~$100 saved.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I rented in BOS this weekend and supposedly there was a "blackout" on Avis Frist coupon usage in effect there. I didn't have any problems getting the person checking my car in to apply the coupon. They were a little confused why I didn't have a hard copy of the coupon but once I semi-nicely explained it to them they punched it in and applied it to the rental. ~$100 saved.
If the dingbats at my local Avis can figure it out, anyone can. I was nervous leaving Mrs BamaVol to turn in a free weekend car (early no less) Saturday, but I have a receipt for $0 (no extras off-airport). ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.