Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:13 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Steph3n
I'd much rather them get more Toyota, honda and Hyundai than a Buick of any sort. I don't think you are missing much
I'd love a Toyota SUV or Honda when I rent, but the only place that I ever saw Hondas was CLE. Back in ~07 before I upgraded to Pres. Club, I was so sick of the Hyundais... seemed like I got it every week.

However, be careful in wishing for more Toyotas. I took an Avalon a few weeks ago: Totally disappointed with it. It lacked a lot of common features (retained power after turn-off, among others that I can't remember right now). I would rather the Impala than that again. And don't get me started on the Yaris that I've seen around a few times.

Originally Posted by USirritated
The 2010 Buick LaCrosse has been out for more than 4 months now, I wonder what they are waiting for?
GM has significantly cut back sales to fleets, which probably impacts this, unfortunately.

As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single car that GM builds itself (as opposed to one they rebadge such as the Chevy Aveo) that is not a genuinely good car or truck right now.
While I agree with nearly everything you posted, I had to comment on this line. You haven't been in an HHR yet, have you
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
I stand corrected, yes, you are correct about the HHR, not a shining example of a great GM car, but then there had to be the exception that makes the "rule" so to speak, and I guess the HHR must be it for non-rebadged GM vehicles.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:30 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz 5*, National EE, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat
Day/Time: Thursday 6pm
Reserved: Mid Size
Given: Hyundai Sonata, but it had 27k miles and looked like it had 50k. Stained seats on the interior and marks all over front and rear bumpers (it was white, which didn't help). Swapped it for a Pontiac G6 with 15k which is fine for what I need this weekend.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Day/Time: Monday 9pm
Reserved: Mid Size
Given: CTS
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I guess I won't be getting my toyota avalon limited next week that was the best car...
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I'd love a Toyota SUV or Honda when I rent, but the only place that I ever saw Hondas was CLE. Back in ~07 before I upgraded to Pres. Club, I was so sick of the Hyundais... seemed like I got it every week.
I have rented Hondas in PHX a couple of times, but the last time was probably also 2007. I had a Hyundai once when I was either SelectPreferred or AvisFirst, and I hated it, so I have never accepted or chosen one again. I understand they are much improved now, but now that I am Chairman's, why take a Hyundai when I can have almost any car on the lot?

However, be careful in wishing for more Toyotas. I took an Avalon a few weeks ago: Totally disappointed with it. It lacked a lot of common features (retained power after turn-off, among others that I can't remember right now). I would rather the Impala than that again. And don't get me started on the Yaris that I've seen around a few times.
I would not touch a Toyota right now with YOUR 10 foot pole! They have been going seriously downhill for at least two or three years, with the possible exception of the Camry reintroduction, and even that was not any more than a one run home run.

Originally Posted by Steph3n
I guess I won't be getting my toyota avalon limited next week that was the best car...
Accent on the WAS! I told you that you should give a serious look at the 2010 Buick LaCrosse! As a matter of fact, you should take a good look at any Buick, they are all very good, just that the LaCrosse is outstanding!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

now that I am Chairman's, why take a Hyundai when I can have almost any car on the lot?
I agree, but the Avis fleet is pretty bad about now regarding premium cars. And you can only drive the CTS/STS so many times before it gets old. If there was a Genesis on a lot, I'd give that a run for a short rental.

I would not touch a Toyota right now with YOUR 10 foot pole!
Couldn't agree more!
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:54 am

I agree, but the Avis fleet is pretty bad about now regarding premium cars. And you can only drive the CTS/STS so many times before it gets old. If there was a Genesis on a lot, I'd give that a run for a short rental.
Yes, I agree, as much as I love the Cadillacs, I do get a bit bored with them on occasion.

When I was in LAX, they offered me a choice, they had the Infiniti G37x, and I loved it!

On the flip side, in SAN, there were no Cadillacs available, so I got a Lincoln MKS by default, and although I did not hate it, I was underwhelmed.

Back when I was just AvisFirst, a couple of years back, I picked up a car in ALB, and they gave me a Volvo S60, a very nice car, I would drive a S60 or S80 anytime (although until recently, I personally had a 2008 Volvo XC90 and ended up hating it).

I've also had a Chrysler 300M within the last year, can't remember which airport (BOS maybe?), and it was a nice change, liked it better than the MKS, but not so much to want to have one often. I am thinking that I would be interested in driving a loaded 2010 Ford Taurus to see if I agree with the reviews I have read.

I was given a Ford Edge in LAS, and was quite happy with it, but I knew I would be, since I lease a Lincoln MKX for my office manager.

In DEN back in July 2009, I asked for a midsize or large SUV, and of the choices they offered, I chose the GMC Acadia, which I really enjoyed for the 9 days I had it.

Also while I was AvisFirst in summer 2007, I was in PHX, and asked for a midsize SUV, and they offered me a loaded Mercury Mountaineer, which I had for 10 days, and I loved it so much I almost considered leasing one for my office, ended up with the 2007 Lincoln MKX instead..

In PVD, about 18 months ago, while I was still AvisFirst, I had a Buick LaCrosse, and it was very nice.

Lastly, about 15 months ago in DCA, I was given a VW Passat, which is a terrific car, I would rent one anytime, and I'd really like to try the newer VW CC, has anyone tried one?

So yes, variety can be fun and interesting.

Last edited by USirritated; Jan 30, 2010 at 5:01 am Reason: added DCA - VW Passat info
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've also had a Chrysler 300M within the last year, can't remember which airport (BOS maybe?), and it was a nice change, liked it better than the MKS, but not so much to want to have one often. I am thinking that I would be interested in driving a loaded 2010 Ford Taurus to see if I agree with the reviews I have read.
I had one at SFO.

It is a big car, very roomy, but it is odd, not a thrill to drive or anything. It has some power, but it better for that huge frame it carries around.
The analog clock on the dash is just
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rented: Intermediate on Avis First free weekend
Got: any car I wanted...I got Toyota Avalon limited Best car on the lot (it is a small lot)
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:44 pm

You wanted a Toyota of any kind considering all the problems going on with Toyota? Wow, why??
Old Feb 6, 2010, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You wanted a Toyota of any kind considering all the problems going on with Toyota? Wow, why??
1. Most of the recall is a bunch of bull.
2. Avalon Limited is not included, the toyota limit is more like a Lexus with toyota branding...
3. It is the best driving, best performing car on their lot at this location, and it gets 30MPG.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 1:36 am

The Toyota recall is such a bunch of bull that people have died as a result of what the cars are being recalled for.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
List your downgrades

Day/Time: Tuesday, 10pm
Reserved: Intermediate
Given: Chevy Cobalt. Clearly a B class compact; even my receipt said so. But it was parked in E36, 36 spaces from the preferred booth, and it was late and I was tired, and i just didnt care. They did drop my daily rate down by $4.00. Oh boy...
Old Feb 7, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold, US Dividend Miles Silver
Booked a Pontiac G6 at MCO...(lsted as class size C)...but used the following AWD and coupon that is 25% off plus one class upgrade:
AWD G417900
coupon UUWA006
I'm Avis preferred, so walked to lot to get car...my name wasnt' on the board..."Mr. Anvil is a small SUV OK for your upgrade?"
Certainly was! Brand new 4 wheel drive Kia Sportage with 9 miles on odometer. Very pleased indeed.

cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.