Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
LAS
First
Reserved: Full
Received: Impala
Exchanged: Ford Explorer Limited

Tried negotiating a premium, was told only crown vic available. Wouldn't budge on luxury, but was throwing out SUV offers left and right. Friday evening on holiday weekend so I imagine most in the lot were booked. Finally took the Explorer. ~7k and Sirius/XM still worked. We had 4 pax, so the extra room was nice. Tipped him a $5 for his work. He looked for a good 4-6 minutes
Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:10 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by mrredskin
LAS
First
Received: Impala
Exchanged: Ford Explorer Limited

Tried negotiating a premium, was told only crown vic available. Wouldn't budge on luxury, but was throwing out SUV offers left and right. Friday evening on holiday weekend so I imagine most in the lot were booked. Finally took the Explorer. ~7k and Sirius/XM still worked. We had 4 pax, so the extra room was nice. Tipped him a $5 for his work. He looked for a good 4-6 minutes
An Explorer Limited isn't a bad option for a Full reservation, IMO! It's got plenty of options, lots of space and drives well.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
How do you like the '13 MKT vs. the '12 MKT? I prefer the Clarion infotainment system on the older '12 MKT to the MyLincolnTouch on the '13.
Hmmm, tough question. I like the '13 because it's much cleaner. The volume & fan speeds are touchy to get used to (my wife still can't make them work for her). The buttons on the '12 also look like they are from the 2006 Ford Fusion... Oh, wait, they are! The steering wheel buttons are also much better looking than the '06 Fusion buttons. Nothing against the first generation Fusion (I LOVE the car if I need a mid-size sedan) but the Lincoln shouldn't have the same buttons/setup.

However, I like the '12 because:
-It's nice to have all the options available without going through multiple screens (radio, heated/cooled seats, etc) when driving.
-It's much easier to change the temp/volume/etc while driving without taking your eyes off the road. Ford has had a lot of complaints about this.

So to answer your question: If I had to pick one, I'd go with the '13 for looks but don't think it's a home run vs the '12.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Hmmm, tough question. I like the '13 because it's much cleaner. The volume & fan speeds are touchy to get used to (my wife still can't make them work for her). The buttons on the '12 also look like they are from the 2006 Ford Fusion... Oh, wait, they are! The steering wheel buttons are also much better looking than the '06 Fusion buttons. Nothing against the first generation Fusion (I LOVE the car if I need a mid-size sedan) but the Lincoln shouldn't have the same buttons/setup.

However, I like the '12 because:
-It's nice to have all the options available without going through multiple screens (radio, heated/cooled seats, etc) when driving.
-It's much easier to change the temp/volume/etc while driving without taking your eyes off the road. Ford has had a lot of complaints about this.

So to answer your question: If I had to pick one, I'd go with the '13 for looks but don't think it's a home run vs the '12.
Base engine is slightly more powerful on the '13 right? Did it accelerate faster? The '12 felt a bit slow and ponderous.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Reserved: Intermediate (C)
Received: Ford Taurus Limited
Sunroof, Sirius, nice large touchscreen but no Nav.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:01 pm

Base engine is slightly more powerful on the '13 right? Did it accelerate faster? The '12 felt a bit slow and ponderous.
I've only had the '13 for two separate partial day rentals. I didn't notice anything in particular abt the engine. If I get it again, I'll try it.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:56 am

Reserved: Premium
Received: Nissan Armada
Exchanged: BMW X3 XDrive 28i
Nav included.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:06 am

What's going on, at DCA over the past few weeks, all the cars have > 10K miles.

Reserved: Intermediate
Received: Infiniti M with 25K miles
Exchanged: Nissan Murano with 20K miles

Nothing better on the lot; bunch of well worn Taurus Limiteds and a '13 MKT that had "only" 10K miles but seemed heavily used.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:20 am

What's going on, at DCA over the past few weeks, all the cars have > 10K miles.

Received: Infiniti M with 25K miles
Exchanged: Nissan Murano with 20K miles

Nothing better on the lot; bunch of well worn Taurus Limiteds and a '13 MKT that had "only" 10K miles but seemed heavily used.
The same seems to be happening at ORD. I asked the avis person and they said that most newer cars are being diverted to the areas affected by Hurricane Sandy as there are long term rentals held by people affected by the storm. And the insurance is paying for them.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by gabrielsreign
The same seems to be happening at ORD. I asked the avis person and they said that most newer cars are being diverted to the areas affected by Hurricane Sandy as there are long term rentals held by people affected by the storm. And the insurance is paying for them.
I guess that makes sense, stinks for us though. I haven't seen mileage this high since I rented from Hertz!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:25 am

I think that means new car purchases are being delivered to the Northeast instead of other parts of the country as originally planned. As such, the older cars elsewhere are not being replaced as frequently as they otherwise might have been.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
ATL Nov 18
First
Res: intermediate
Rec: Old ratty Fusion
Exchanged for Volvo S80 + $30/day at upgrade lot. The Grab n Go cars were all meh and I was too beat to argue about it. I thought the Volvo was a S60 as it was a little dark in the garage but in the light of day it grew up into a S80. 23K miles. Punchy 3.2 inline six makes nice snarly sounds, though the trans felt a little rubbery.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: CO *G, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Received: Mustang GT

Not bad for a one way rental to ONT. Car had original LAX stickers so maybe they were happy to send it on its way back home.

Reserved: Volvo C70
Received: Volvo C70

Had a fun weekend out in Miami and always wanted to try the C70 and got a decent enough rate. I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable and well this car drove. Will definitely make me consider purchasing a Volvo in the future. Was offered anything on the lot at the time which included multiple Infiniti's BMW's and other goodies. I did notice a brand spanking new Cadillac XTS on the lot.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:43 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Smile

Received: BWM 528
Old Nov 23, 2012, 2:08 pm

Reserved: Class E Full Size
Received: Ford Edge 3.5 AWD Limited, only 80mi and Sirius working

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.