Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Avis bill you for tolls you paid on your own?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2024, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Why Avis bill you for tolls you paid on your own?

2nd time, this happened. first in August. I use my own transponder form illinois toll pass account. i update the plate to Avis rental before I drive off the rental lot and I put the end date and time on my rental and all the tolls are correctly charged on my illinois toll account.
I dropped off my rental few days ago and now I am billed $$9.97 for tolls in Orlando when all the tolls are charged to my transponder. When you call them, they always blame or say the tollway authorities bill them and them pass the bill to me or something and than you have to wait hours to get AVIS ETOLL rep on the line to explain and email the proof the proof of tolls charged to my account. This shouldn't happen in first place.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 6:55 am

I had that problem with Hertz in Orlando. Half the tolls didn't post to my E-ZPass account despite having it registered and mounted. One toll charged to both my E-ZPass and the rental agency. I was able to have the admin fees waived with proof of registering the vehicle, but the tolls were 2x what I should have paid. Wonder if it isn't the Florida E-ZPass integration that is the issue.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
I had that problem with Hertz in Orlando. Half the tolls didn't post to my E-ZPass account despite having it registered and mounted. One toll charged to both my E-ZPass and the rental agency. I was able to have the admin fees waived with proof of registering the vehicle, but the tolls were 2x what I should have paid. Wonder if it isn't the Florida E-ZPass integration that is the issue.
EZ Pass is accepted in Florida but isn’t the preferred toll system which adds a layer of IT complexity to the toll billing and collection. I personally wouldn’t use my EX pass on a Florida rental for this reason. I would use Sun pass.

I haven’t had an issue with EZ pass for rentals in the northeast and mid Atlantic states: PA, NJ, NY, NYC, CT and MA. In the 3+ years I have never registered the pass to the rental. NYC has a tiered EZ Pass rate based on the issuing authority.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by TGarza
EZ Pass is accepted in Florida but isn’t the preferred toll system which adds a layer of IT complexity to the toll billing and collection. I personally wouldn’t use my EX pass on a Florida rental for this reason. I would use Sun pass.

I haven’t had an issue with EZ pass for rentals in the northeast and mid Atlantic states: PA, NJ, NY, NYC, CT and MA. In the 3+ years I have never registered the pass to the rental. NYC has a tiered EZ Pass rate based on the issuing authority.
It was actually NC Quick Pass, which is supposed to have different compatibility (for example, sticker tags were usable in FL before E-ZPass even offered that protocol).
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
It was actually NC Quick Pass, which is supposed to have different compatibility (for example, sticker tags were usable in FL before E-ZPass even offered that protocol).

It is still a data exchange back to NC for payment clearing. My local toll pass is good in neighboring states but the toll charges may take 24 hours to post. The different toll authorities were required by Congress to accept other toll passes and the data exchange between the different authorities is still in development
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by TGarza
It is still a data exchange back to NC for payment clearing. My local toll pass is good in neighboring states but the toll charges may take 24 hours to post. The different toll authorities were required by Congress to accept other toll passes and the data exchange between the different authorities is still in development
Do EPass and LeeWay have the same issue? They offer free stickers (that can be used with this Sticker Shield product to apply and remove) versus $5 for the SunPass sticker. I already have NY & NC transponders - hate to have to carry a third for the one time a year I might need it.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:36 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
These systems are a mess. The system in TX seems particularly poor for rental car users. According to instructions when I called the Houston customer service they told me I needed to do a plate based registration when I had the rental car and I could not use a sticker in a rental car. I asked why and was told the stickers are not transferable from car to car. I looked on the app where I registered it to my personal vehicle to get the sticker sent to me, and saw there is an option to change vehicle. Finally the rep told me the reason you can't transfer the sticker is because moving it from car to car may "damage" it. When I said I think I can just tape it to the window or not fully stick it on, the rep sighed and basically said that should probably work but I cannot add/remove a vehicle on my own on the app I need to call them when I arrive and call again when I leave. I mentioned there looked to be a way to do this on the app and the rep just said okay you can try that feature... then said if there are any billing discrepancies I will have to work it out with the rental car company. I don't understand why they try to discourage the process I followed, I feel like it just makes it hard for rental car users unnecessarily. So I ordered a Houston sticker and stick it in the window of rental cars leaving a bit of paper on it so it isn't 100% stuck so I can move it from vehicle to vehicle. Fortunately I have had no issues with overcharges and all tolls have been properly billed to me with this sticker.

The IL system with a plastic transponder box is much better. It is very easy to just move that from car to car and it works fine. You just have the app and you register the vehicle you're driving. Very easy. Of course you have to pay for the transponder but the tolls at the lower rate quickly cover that cost.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 7:44 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I find the system in Florida most perplexing. I have no objection to paying what I owe but when the tolls roll in - incredibly late I might add - I cannot make sense of them as there are bits of Highway and I really do not know what it is for which I am paying.
leland likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 5:11 am

I feel there is a fault of rentals. I have a second NY Ezpass transponder which I always loaned my nephew when he came from overseas to visit. Last time, EZPass refused to allow him to register the vehicle onto the transponder saying it was already registered with the rental agency! (I forget which one). The agency refused to remove the vehicle (they apparently like the surcharges) So he was left with actual costs and administrative fees!

It doesnt seem right!
siouxi31 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 5:32 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I used my I-Pass (Illinois version of EZ-Pass) in Orlando in January (car rented from National). I mounted the transponder on the windshield (glued a suction cup to it). I never register the license plate of a rental car. All tolls posted correctly and there were no toll charges from National.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 6:19 am

My question is pretty basic but I have not seen it addressed in this thread yet. Were the charges from the rental car company from the rental company's transponder or from "pay by plate"? If from the rental transponder, how did that happen if the transponder box on the windshield was closed? Anyone bringing their own transponder is savvy enough to close that box I am sure.

I have both EZ Pass (from MA) and a Sun Pass but on a recent trip to FL I chose to bring the Sun Pass for the rental. I noticed that the tolls got posted much more quickly than in the past.

The whole FL EZ Pass integration was years late in coming online.
drphun and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 7:04 am

I had a similar issue using a PA EzPass with a car rental in NJ. Apparently, while both states accept EzPass, their systems don’t seem to talk to each other. I was told registering a PA EzPass transponder on a vehicle in NJ won’t work because it I would need to done from my NJ EzPass account - which I don’t have.

Anyone have a workaround or evidence to the contrary between PA and NJ?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by diamond0924
I had a similar issue using a PA EzPass with a car rental in NJ. Apparently, while both states accept EzPass, their systems don’t seem to talk to each other. I was told registering a PA EzPass transponder on a vehicle in NJ won’t work because it I would need to done from my NJ EzPass account - which I don’t have.

Anyone have a workaround or evidence to the contrary between PA and NJ?
I have a PA EZPass and use it in NJ with no issues. I never really paid attention to how long of a billing delay there is. Also, my car is registered in TX, I'm not sure if that matters.
TGarza likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:34 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Many times it's difficult to find the pre-installed transponder, or find a way to "block it". I don't own my own car so when I rent, it's often a struggle. Just saying.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:35 am

Rental Car Toll Fees

Originally Posted by Blueheaven
2nd time, this happened. first in August. I use my own transponder form illinois toll pass account. i update the plate to Avis rental before I drive off the rental lot and I put the end date and time on my rental and all the tolls are correctly charged on my illinois toll account.
I dropped off my rental few days ago and now I am billed $$9.97 for tolls in Orlando when all the tolls are charged to my transponder. When you call them, they always blame or say the tollway authorities bill them and them pass the bill to me or something and than you have to wait hours to get AVIS ETOLL rep on the line to explain and email the proof the proof of tolls charged to my account. This shouldn't happen in first place.
I have the same problem in California with the Fastrak Toll system. It seems like the Rental Companies and the Toll Operators have rigged the system in favor of the Rental Companies and then they probably split the spoils of the double charges. Perhaps there should be a section on the rental contract stating whether you are opting for the Rental Co. Toll or self Toll Payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.