Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Avis bill you for tolls you paid on your own?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2024, 11:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
And then there's Washington's Good2Go system, which doesn't go anywhere else!
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by awayIgo
I feel there is a fault of rentals. I have a second NY Ezpass transponder which I always loaned my nephew when he came from overseas to visit. Last time, EZPass refused to allow him to register the vehicle onto the transponder saying it was already registered with the rental agency! (I forget which one). The agency refused to remove the vehicle (they apparently like the surcharges) So he was left with actual costs and administrative fees!

It doesnt seem right!
I use my NY EZPass without registering the rental car since NY actually has a check preventing double billing EZPass. I have been using this approach with EZPass for 5 years with no problems.

I would never use my EZPass in a rental where EXPass is not the preferred pass.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I often have problems in Florida with my NY EZPass. In Orlando one or two tolls failed to read and was charged (by plate) to the rental agency, but showing proof of other charges that rental on my personal EZPass got them to waive the admin fee. More recently was in Miami - all the I-95 express lane tolls billed properly to my account but NONE of the Airport Expressway (SR-112) tolls did (2x in each direction). Per my research, all Florida tolls are supposed to be compatible with EZPass, although that wasn't the case a few years ago. I believe there was also a change in administrator on the Miami-Dade highways so I wonder if that's part of the problem. I still need to send in my info to National, and I expect them to credit the admin fee, but I'm still overpaying for tolls.

There's definitely shady business going on in Florida, but that's really no surprise.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I often have problems in Florida with my NY EZPass. In Orlando one or two tolls failed to read and was charged (by plate) to the rental agency, but showing proof of other charges that rental on my personal EZPass got them to waive the admin fee. More recently was in Miami - all the I-95 express lane tolls billed properly to my account but NONE of the Airport Expressway (SR-112) tolls did (2x in each direction). Per my research, all Florida tolls are supposed to be compatible with EZPass, although that wasn't the case a few years ago. I believe there was also a change in administrator on the Miami-Dade highways so I wonder if that's part of the problem. I still need to send in my info to National, and I expect them to credit the admin fee, but I'm still overpaying for tolls.

There's definitely shady business going on in Florida, but that's really no surprise.
I just hate to buy a Sunpass when I already have transponders from two agencies and I am in Florida maybe 1x/year. Was hoping North Carolina would be better given it worked with Florida before E-ZPass but my experience (like yours) tells me otherwise.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
I just hate to buy a Sunpass when I already have transponders from two agencies and I am in Florida maybe 1x/year. Was hoping North Carolina would be better given it worked with Florida before E-ZPass but my experience (like yours) tells me otherwise.
If you are renting a car from MCO this is a pretty decent option.
https://visitortollpass.com/
Old Feb 14, 2024, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

In my two rentals this year with AVIS at MCO, I am charged on one of the toll in both rentals. I am charged by Avis on a toll that is closest to MCO. Weird! It took a call and email with proof of tolls already charged to my Illinois transponder account to prove them and get a refund back on my card.

Now Illinois is moving away from regular transponder which was easy to remove from my personal car and install in rental cars to " Stickers". This will make it very difficult since I will have to peel off stickers.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Blueheaven
Now Illinois is moving away from regular transponder which was easy to remove from my personal car and install in rental cars to " Stickers". This will make it very difficult since I will have to peel off stickers.
Blueheaven Can't you still use your existing transponder?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Blueheaven
In my two rentals this year with AVIS at MCO, I am charged on one of the toll in both rentals. I am charged by Avis on a toll that is closest to MCO. Weird! It took a call and email with proof of tolls already charged to my Illinois transponder account to prove them and get a refund back on my card.

Shield sticker makes it easy to move windshield stickers between cars
Auto Enthusiast and BobbyC777 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 5:53 am

Sticker Shield

Originally Posted by TGarza
Shield sticker makes it easy to move windshield stickers between cars
I was not familiar with Sticker Shield until I saw TGarza's post

Link to Amazon for Sticker Shield Link to Amazon for Sticker Shield
Auto Enthusiast and TGarza like this.

Last edited by BobbyC777; Feb 15, 2024 at 5:56 am Reason: improve link text
Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke
If you are renting a car from MCO this is a pretty decent option.
https://visitortollpass.com/
Agree for MCO but not helpful if arriving through TPA or MIA.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by BobbyC777
I was not familiar with Sticker Shield until I saw TGarza's post

Link to Amazon for Sticker Shield

Thanks for the correcting my error. The product works for moving stickers between my cars.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by rubesl
I used my I-Pass (Illinois version of EZ-Pass) in Orlando in January (car rented from National). I mounted the transponder on the windshield (glued a suction cup to it). I never register the license plate of a rental car. All tolls posted correctly and there were no toll charges from National.
I had a similar recent experience. I used my PA EZ Pass during an Avis rental in Florida. I didn't even consider changing anything on my account and just put the transponder on the dash. I had no issues with a number of tolls while travelling around and between Miami, Orlando, and Jacksonville.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by TGarza
Thanks for the correcting my error. The product works for moving stickers between my cars.
How do you store it between uses? Afraid of it getting stuck to something or bending.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
How do you store it between uses? Afraid of it getting stuck to something or bending.
I don’t travel with the tag. It is only used to move between my personal cars. If I were to travel with the tag, I would have trimmed the sticker shield without cutting through the original backing. You trim the sticker shield after affixing the tag to the non adhesive side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.