Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No cars available Avis, any compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
No cars available Avis, any compensation?

I had 5 day rental at Avis via Costco booking in Memphis this weekend. Went all the way to Preferred screen, my name was on there but there was no car. Tracked down an employee who told me they ran out of cars for the night and to come back tomorrow. No remorse or apology. I had to take Uber for $50 to my hotel and I was able to call Avis in AM and they still did not have any cars. Ended up just Uber the rest of the time.

Could I at least get compensation for my first Uber ride from airport to my hotel for the hassle? Any other recourse?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:11 am

Programs: Mosaic. AA Gold, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Went all the way to Preferred screen, my name was on there but there was no car. Tracked down an employee who told me they ran out of cars for the night and to come back tomorrow. No remorse or apology. I had to take Uber for $50 to my hotel and I was able to call Avis in AM and they still did not have any cars. Ended up just Uber the rest of the time.

Could I at least get compensation for my first Uber ride from airport to my hotel for the hassle? Any other recourse?
You didn't mention what status tier you had - only President's Club has "Guaranteed car up to a full size with confirmed 24 hour advanced reservation". If you're lower tier status, they do in fact know how to take reservations, but they don't actually know how to hold reservations, which would really seem like the most important thing.

Having a car for your reservation is a top-tier status perk at Avis, not a baseline expectation.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by bemis
You didn't mention what status tier you had - only President's Club has "Guaranteed car up to a full size with confirmed 24 hour advanced reservation". If you're lower tier status, they do in fact know how to take reservations, but they don't actually know how to hold reservations, which would really seem like the most important thing.

Having a car for your reservation is a top-tier status perk at Avis, not a baseline expectation.
/Seinfeld
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:58 pm

Something similar happened to me a few days ago. We had a one way van rental and chose to pick up from a neighborhood location instead of the airport. The Day before pickup, the location called me and said that there are no vans but there may be one returned later in the day for us. We already made hotel reservations for our trip and a return flight, so timing is critical. The location employee called the allocation manager and the airport to track down anything he could. We did get a van but almost a two hour delay. They had another SUV available but it is smaller than the van. location have us a $50 credit. But yes, I agree holding the reservation and actually having the car upon arrival seems to be the most important part.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.