Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis reminder emails now contain awd code check warning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis reminder emails now contain awd code check warning

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2021, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
So far yes, but I would be happy to hear from those that had problems there
No issue on my end either. And with QuickPass there's no need to talk to anyone on the way out the lot. Problem solved.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by furnaceflyer
No issue on my end either. And with QuickPass there's no need to talk to anyone on the way out the lot. Problem solved.
Do we need to opt-in to QuickPass or is it enabled automatically by being a Preferred member (and logging in to the Avis app using those credentials)?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by HoKo
Do we need to opt-in to QuickPass or is it enabled automatically by being a Preferred member (and logging in to the Avis app using those credentials)?
No opt-in required. Enable location services, open the app in/near the car and it should pop up.
HoKo likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:12 am

Using a code in Waikiki in three weeks.

Originally Posted by furnaceflyer
I have a code that I’ve uses for years, it was given to me by a friend who used to work at an Avis airport in Canada.
I guess I should cancel and rebook? Not take the chance of being challenged. It’s a substantial savings, should I just chance it?
To be clear, I’m not eligible for this code.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Yvrff
I have a code that I’ve uses for years, it was given to me by a friend who used to work at an Avis airport in Canada.
I guess I should cancel and rebook? Not take the chance of being challenged. It’s a substantial savings, should I just chance it?
To be clear, I’m not eligible for this code.
You should never use a code for which you are not eligible. If something were to happen during your rental such as an accident, and it was found out that you were not eligible to rent the vehicle under the terms of your rental agreement, imagine how that would play out.

With that being said, it's up to you

-J.
DELee likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:35 am

J-

You’re absolutely correct. I canceled and re booked with out a code.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
You should never use a code for which you are not eligible. If something were to happen during your rental such as an accident, and it was found out that you were not eligible to rent the vehicle under the terms of your rental agreement, imagine how that would play out.

With that being said, it's up to you

-J.
I'm curious since this is often cited as one of the arguments against using a code to which you're not entitled. What exactly would happen -- you get banned from the rental agency? It makes sense that any included CDP/insurance wouldn't apply, but you should have your own insurance anyways. And besides, I've never heard of anybody using corporate codes for the insurance -- it's always to get a cheaper rate. There don't seem to be any real consequences yet this "fear of the ineligibility" seems to always come up without any actual reports/proof of consequences
Old Nov 2, 2021, 11:10 am

With regards to using a code you are not eligible for, I spoke to an Avis agent here in Vancouver and he said the biggest problem was getting insurance. Most of the corporate codes now have a pre-negotiated insurance policy that isn’t part of the rental and now is held entirely by the corporation. You would not be able to add any third-party insurance to these reservations. Credit card loss damage waivers will not cover you.
So if an accident where to occur it sounds like the individual would be 100% liable.
For me the risk is far too great.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Yvrff
With regards to using a code you are not eligible for, I spoke to an Avis agent here in Vancouver and he said the biggest problem was getting insurance. Most of the corporate codes now have a pre-negotiated insurance policy that isn’t part of the rental and now is held entirely by the corporation. You would not be able to add any third-party insurance to these reservations. Credit card loss damage waivers will not cover you.
So if an accident where to occur it sounds like the individual would be 100% liable.
For me the risk is far too great.
Wouldn't the renter's personal auto insurance policy provide personal liability coverage for the rental regardless of an AWD code, as well as collision, comprehensive and property damage coverage if the personal policy includes those?

Last edited by I can see for miles; Nov 2, 2021 at 12:20 pm
Old Nov 2, 2021, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Wouldn't the renter's personal auto insurance policy provide personal liability coverage for the rental regardless of an AWD code, as well as collision and comprehensive insurance if the personal policy includes those?
What the Avis agent said, is that those insurance coverages may be ineligible or denied if you violate the terms of the rental agreement.
It opens the door for the insurers to deny the claim.
This is what I was told by an Avis agent. He mentioned that he’s aware of this exact situation.
It was enough for me to re book without a code.
For context, this is the same agent (we have mutual friends- that’s why he gave me a code to use) who gave me the AWD code and added to my profile years ago.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Wouldn't the renter's personal auto insurance policy provide personal liability coverage for the rental regardless of an AWD code, as well as collision, comprehensive and property damage coverage if the personal policy includes those?
But, you could also be correct. I’m not speaking from experience. I’m only sharing what I was told today.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 12:22 am

Hi-I booked a car months ago for RSW for early December using Amazon Employee code. Got a great rate. Today I received an email from Avis that stated the following.
CORPORATE RESERVATIONS REQUIRE ID VERIFICATION This reservation was made using a corporate AWD (Avis Worldwide Discount Code) that requires validation of eligibility. Please be prepared to produce your company ID, business card, or a recent email with the company’s email domain (e.g. @xyzcompany.com) for employment verification purposes when picking up your vehicle.

Has anyone who has used this code made their own business card or bogus email to get past the counter? I am Avis preferred and go straight to the lot, should I expect any issues?

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Nov 13, 2021 at 6:22 am
Old Nov 18, 2021, 12:43 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by ExAbz
I find it odd that Avis corporate security aren't taking a bigger grip on this fraud given the current climate. Easy to require a "confirmation" email from the associated business domain if using a business AWD.

I'm also disappointed that FT mods appear to condone this fraud by continuing to allow it to be discussed.
Most, if not all, Avis locations in NYC require proof of employment when using a corporate AWD. We know of multiple instances where folks ended up being charged the walk-up rate when they couldn't produce the documentation required and it was painful.

Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The code I use is from my husbands former employer. However, it used to be called a “friends and family“ discount. I am not seeing that language anymore.

the rate is currently providing a savings of almost 65% so given current circumstances I’m not going to stop using it. I also don’t share the view that this is somehow theft.

Regarding insurance issues, I don’t see how my insurance company or even credit card would be made aware of the code that was used. It would not be in the rental companies interest to prevent an insurer from paying. I also think it would be difficult for an insurance company to ultimately deny the claim based on this discount code used.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
The code I use is from my husbands former employer. However, it used to be called a “friends and family“ discount. I am not seeing that language anymore.

the rate is currently providing a savings of almost 65% so given current circumstances I’m not going to stop using it. I also don’t share the view that this is somehow theft.

Regarding insurance issues, I don’t see how my insurance company or even credit card would be made aware of the code that was used. It would not be in the rental companies interest to prevent an insurer from paying. I also think it would be difficult for an insurance company to ultimately deny the claim based on this discount code used.

I think for me anyways, the risk come in the form of “what could happen” in the worst case and decide if that risk is acceptable.

In the Avis rental agreement is says :
g) To the extent you utilize any rate/benefit discount code in association with a rental, you represent you meet the requisite criteria for utilizing such discount code. Any other use will be viewed as an unlawful use and theft of services for which Avis can pursue legal remedies, including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, and may void any associated discounts or rental benefits.

The rental agreement also says :
A VIOLATION OF THIS PARAGRAPH 9, WHICH INCLUDES USE OF THE CAR BY AN NAUTHORIZED DRIVER, WILL AUTOMATICALLY TERMINATE YOUR RENTAL, VOID ALL LIABILITY PROTECTION AND ANY OPTIONAL SERVICES THAT YOU HAVE ACCEPTED, INCLUDING ADDITIONAL LIABILITY INSURANCE, PERSONAL ACCIDENT INSURANCE, PERSONAL EFFECTS PROTECTION AND LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER.

section (3) of paragraph 9

3) obtained the car through fraud or misrepresentation;

So, this is enough for me to not take the chance. To me it seems clear that insurance could be denied for using a discount code that I’m not eligible for.

This is all up to the risk tolerance of the driver.

Having said that, I’m not happy about how much I’m paying for a full size car in Hawaii for 7 days.

Safe travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.