Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis reminder emails now contain awd code check warning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis reminder emails now contain awd code check warning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Despite getting weekly warnings for over a month, no one asked for verification when I picked up in Austin this week. Just a DL check. I had my employee ID just in case,
macft likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 5:54 pm

I've been on the Amazon code for 4 months...just now got the warning to have id ready. Off to another code. In perspective...Brit Air was $395, Hilton $292, Amazon $133, Lockheed $116. Full size 4 days local trip. I was wondering if I'm a Amazon reseller, does that make me an employee?
macft likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by air_goalie
I've been on the Amazon code for 4 months...just now got the warning to have id ready. Off to another code. In perspective...Brit Air was $395, Hilton $292, Amazon $133, Lockheed $116. Full size 4 days local trip. I was wondering if I'm a Amazon reseller, does that make me an employee?

Does Amazon pay you a salary? Does Amazon provide you with health insurance and a retirement plan? Does Amazon direct your work schedule? Do they provide you with a W-2 form? If not, then you are not an employee.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Jul 5, 2021 at 9:29 am
Old Jul 5, 2021, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by air_goalie
Originally Posted by FLYMSY

Does Amazon pay you a salary? Does Amazon provide you with health insurance and a retirement plan? Does Amazon direct your work schedule? Do they provide you with a W-2 form? If not, then you are not an employee.
Is the Amazon AWD only for employees; is it for contractors/resellers/etc; or is it a public code for Amazon customers? If you're using an employee/contractor rate, probably best to ensure from your contacts at Amazon that you're legally allowed to use that rate. Avis does have a promo for Amazon customers, so it's possible they have an AWD for this (like they do for customers of other companies). However, I doubt an Amazon rate that's not for employees would have any meaningful discount.
https://www.avis.com/en/offers/partners/amazon-benefits
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: Asia Miles
Has anyone here rented in Honolulu airport lately? I have a van rental there at the end of July. I do have a business card but I just wanted to see if anyone has gone through there using the code and what their experience was.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I noticed it on a recent reservation reminder email as well, although it's definitely not consistent across all corporate AWDs. I won't specify which AWDs did/didn't trigger the warning but to me it's clear that some are being watched more closely than others (guessing it's especially the ones with unique discounts or special terms like no one way drop fees).

Thankfully I always retain old company IDs/badges and business cards from prior jobs so I'm going to stick with using only the ones where I can provide "proof". Best practice for me when traveling is to always have my mini tumi pouch (the old soft pouch DL amenity kits) with all forms of company affiliation in case I'm ever asked at a hotel or car rental.

Fixed it for you:

Thankfully I always retain old company IDs despite it being their property and business cards from prior jobs so I'm going to stick with using only the ones where I can provide "proof" despite not actually being eligible. Best practice for me when traveling is to always have my mini tumi pouch (the old soft pouch DL amenity kits) with all forms of company affiliation in case I'm ever asked at a hotel or car rental so that I can defraud them.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 6:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
Fixed it for you:

Thankfully I always retain old company IDs despite it being their property and business cards from prior jobs so I'm going to stick with using only the ones where I can provide "proof" despite not actually being eligible. Best practice for me when traveling is to always have my mini tumi pouch (the old soft pouch DL amenity kits) with all forms of company affiliation in case I'm ever asked at a hotel or car rental so that I can defraud them.
Thanks for the suggestions
Old Jul 11, 2021, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
FWIW I rented in BOI this weekend and had this warning on my email. I was never asked for company ID or other proof, though I had it with me in case I was.

-J.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Has anyone had any recent experience in NYC?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:48 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

In RAP, there is no digital board with Preferred space assignment or smartphone app assignment so it was necessary to check-in at the counter. I used a corporate discount code that was not mine and was asked by the counter rep for proof of employment. Knowing this could happen, I also had a back up reservation with Hertz but that one was about $120 more expensive than my Avis reservation.

I told her I was on vacation and did not bring any proof with me. I was lucky. She said she'd let it slide this time but that another agent may not be as flexible. There may have been a bit of salesmanship on her behalf since she said she was going to add the pre-fill fuel option instead of asking me if I wanted it. At this point, I wasn't going to push my luck and have her remove it...LOL I ended up returning it with only 3 gallons left in the tank anyway so it worked out.

BTW, the AVIS code reduced my rate from $1,150 for the week to $158. Substantial savings!

Note: I used the same AWD in PHX 3 weeks earlier and had no issues. Name on the board, space and car assigned. I got in and drove away.

Last edited by MileageAddict; Jul 16, 2021 at 6:50 am
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by rflor
Came here with same question. I have a rental coming up in 2 weeks and it will be interesting to see how they handle it, especially for preassigned vehicles.
Can you update your case for me? Did they allow you to get a car? Did they gave you full refund when you were not eligible for the code or they charge you $150 for the processing fee? Im in the same situation. I prepaid. Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2021, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
The Avis rep at an Off-airport location told me that they were under corporate direction to check for IDs. So who carries that kind of ID when traveling??
Given that these are corporate-negotiated rates for business travel, that means you are renting a car while on company business, which usually means at least a company ID. I'm not important enough to get business cards, and I refuse to have corporate e-mail on my phone. I always carry my company ID in my work bag.

All that said, when I first heard about this on FT (I used the Amazon rate), I changed my reservation from two separate reservations (drop off/pick-up at an off-airport location in Philadelphia) to a single reservation with pick-up at EWR and drop-off at BWI. At EWR, I got the dreaded "Preferred Ctr" assignment on the TV screen. At the counter, I provided my DL, and after some typing, the Avis employee told me where my car was located (and got an upgrade to boot).
Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:53 pm

Many corporate codes are allowed to be used for personal trips. So, not everyone who is entitled to use a code will think it necessary to always carry their badge while on vacation.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Many corporate codes are allowed to be used for personal trips. So, not everyone who is entitled to use a code will think it necessary to always carry their badge while on vacation.
Valid point; however, if you do use it for a personal trip, and you receive such an e-mail, then I suppose you should be prepared to present some proof when challenged.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 12:11 am

Programs: United, Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Elite
Originally Posted by enfuego
Has anyone had any recent experience in NYC?
They check and require it at the pick up desk. Be prepared to show your employment ID and/or business card. They also take a recent email you sent from @yourwork.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.