Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis reminder emails now contain awd code check warning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis reminder emails now contain awd code check warning

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Is the Amazon code still working for folks?
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:16 pm

Booked a reservation at BNA as a backup to Hertz. I have an AWD number from a company that I used to work at years ago. I still have the AVIS wallet card with my name and the name of the company. Will that be sufficient documentation?

When I worked at that company, we were allowed (encouraged even) to use that number for non-business travel, but it's unclear if the benefit would extend beyond the employment date.

Anyone else have similar circumstances?
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by plam1365
Booked a reservation at BNA as a backup to Hertz. I have an AWD number from a company that I used to work at years ago. I still have the AVIS wallet card with my name and the name of the company. Will that be sufficient documentation?

When I worked at that company, we were allowed (encouraged even) to use that number for non-business travel, but it's unclear if the benefit would extend beyond the employment date.

Anyone else have similar circumstances?
Why not book through AutoSlash and avoid the potential drama? You already know what the response would be by the company you used to work for.

David
AutoSlash and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:06 pm

As a result of the shortages, many contracts have been discontinued or renegotiated. It's risky to chance it.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Why not book through AutoSlash and avoid the potential drama? You already know what the response would be by the company you used to work for.

David
Well, the AWD rate is about $200 lower (over 10 days) than the Autoslash rate I received a few days ago, so it's a significant difference. Aside from that, I'm trying to determine if this AWD is still "legit"
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
As a result of the shortages, many contracts have been discontinued or renegotiated. It's risky to chance it.
If the contract had been renegotiated, wouldn't the current website rates reflect the newly negotiated rates and terms?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by plam1365; Apr 17, 2022 at 3:16 pm Reason: fixed a typo
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:42 pm
Rax

Programs: NWA
Either way, you'll pay the displayed rate. It' s up to the renter whether they want to use an AWD they may or may not be entitled to, but that's another discussion.
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 7:40 pm

If the contract had been renegotiated, wouldn't the current website rates reflect the newly negotiated rates and terms?
Not necessarily. Sometimes a contract renegotiation comes with a new discount code, to immediately catch fraudulent use of the old one.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:54 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I still have the AVIS wallet card with my name and the name of the company. Will that be sufficient documentation?
Is that enough to get the car off the lot at the reserved rate? Sure, so long as the AWD is still active and the card isn't expired. However, if you're in an accident, it's likely any insurance will be voided (either included in the AWD, bought from Avis or through a 3rd party) since the vehicle was fraudulently rented.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Is that enough to get the car off the lot at the reserved rate? Sure, so long as the AWD is still active and the card isn't expired. However, if you're in an accident, it's likely any insurance will be voided (either included in the AWD, bought from Avis or through a 3rd party) since the vehicle was fraudulently rented.

What is the fraud? that will hold up in court? It seems to me that there is no fraud warning in the contract that is executed.

I have no problem with Avis refusing the contract as well as the company that printed the card. But seeing as it was accepted without a fraud stipulation then its seems to be only a misunderstanding and the renter is responsible to be covered by their own insurance.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
What is the fraud? that will hold up in court? It seems to me that there is no fraud warning in the contract that is executed.

I have no problem with Avis refusing the contract as well as the company that printed the card. But seeing as it was accepted without a fraud stipulation then its seems to be only a misunderstanding and the renter is responsible to be covered by their own insurance.
​​​​​​From the Avis Rental Terms and Conditions:

"g) To the extent you utilize any rate/benefit discount code in association with a rental, you represent you meet the requisite criteria for utilizing such discount code. Any other use will be viewed as an unlawful use and theft of services for which Avis can pursue legal remedies, including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, and may void any associated discounts or rental benefits." (Emphasis added.)

Source:

https://www.avis.com/en/legal-documents/rental-terms

Whether this would affect the obligations of the renter's personal insurance coverage I do not know. The personal policy's terms of rental-car coverage might contain language that would be applicable to such a situation.
seawolf, GW McLintock and ExAbz like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Interesting... in the past, I've never had to show my corporate ID for AVIS rentals. But I was checked in January for a personal rental at HNL and two weeks ago at YYZ. I'm using my corporate AWD and it does give significant discounts. My ID badge is always in my wallet so its not that big a deal. But personally, I'd think twice about using an AWD code that you don't know much about.

I was making conversation with the check-in agent in HNL, and he indicated that they were being asked to check ID by corporate. So really not that big a surprise I suppose.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
​​​​​​From the Avis Rental Terms and Conditions:

"g) To the extent you utilize any rate/benefit discount code in association with a rental, you represent you meet the requisite criteria for utilizing such discount code. Any other use will be viewed as an unlawful use and theft of services for which Avis can pursue legal remedies, including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, and may void any associated discounts or rental benefits." (Emphasis added.)

Source:

https://www.avis.com/en/legal-documents/rental-terms

Whether this would affect the obligations of the renter's personal insurance coverage I do not know. The personal policy's terms of rental-car coverage might contain language that would be applicable to such a situation.
My interpretation is that would only apply to LDW or other waivers when the contract includes them. I can't imagine it would affect personal insurance coverage or credit card coverage.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by m907
My interpretation is that would only apply to LDW or other waivers when the contract includes them. I can't imagine it would affect personal insurance coverage or credit card coverage.
However you to need review the personal coverage terms. It often have language that their coverage is also void if renter violates terms of rental agreement.

For example, Chase terms:

What’s Not Covered?
The Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver benefit does not apply to:
•Any violation of the auto rental agreement or this benefit.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
However you to need review the personal coverage terms. It often have language that their coverage is also void if renter violates terms of rental agreement.

For example, Chase terms:

What’s Not Covered?
The Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver benefit does not apply to:
•Any violation of the auto rental agreement or this benefit.
Is using an ineligible code really a violation of the agreement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.