Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2016-2017: The "What car/upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016-2017: The "What car/upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Prefered
Premium SUV L (Chevy Suburban) booked at AVIS webpage.
FLL
Friday @2 pm, late October.

What trim level, bench or bucket 2nd row, RSE etc? "Or similar"/upgrades?

EK
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
Alamo gave me a choice of basic model Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Dodge Durango GT which I happily accepted the latter.
Nice score. The Durango GT is considered a PGAR or premium SUV with National/Alamo/Enterprise. Basically the bigger version of the Grand Cherokee Limited. A very good upgrade and good car for a long trip too.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by noah
Presidents Club picking up at DEN this weekend.

I have a Standard SUV reserved.
Hoping I can get into a Full Size SUV or even a 15 passenger van. Anybody ever heard of getting an upgrade into a van? Is an upgrade to a full size SUV a possibility? I have a minivan reserved at National as a backup but obviously prefer to stay with Avis..
Update -- got the 15 passenger van just by asking. Was assigned a Pathfinder -- switched on the app to a Dodge Durango. At preferred counter asked about a 15 passenger van and they found one and gave me the keys without any upcharge.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by kxc262
Nice score. The Durango GT is considered a PGAR or premium SUV with National/Alamo/Enterprise. Basically the bigger version of the Grand Cherokee Limited. A very good upgrade and good car for a long trip too.
Yes, really loved the car. It was my 3rd Durango GT rental this year.

First with National Executive row in SNA. Black Durango GT. Exchanged my Tahoe for it. What a night and day lol

Second with National PBI for a one-way rental to MIA. Originally picked up a 430i Convertible in Executive lot, went home and found out our luggage won't fit in the trunk (duh). Exchanged it for a white Durango GT.

Third was in SFO with Alamo. Beside the basic Grand Cherokee and gray Durango GT, I was also given the option for a fully-loaded 2016 GMC Acadia and also a 2017 Buick Envision. I liked the Acadia but it has worse mpg than the Durango and a bit smaller size.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:46 am

Let's give this a try haha

Your Avis status: Preferred Plus
Car type/class reserved: mid-size, via Priceline using the Costco AWD
General timing: 10/20 for 9 days
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ENOTTY
Let's give this a try haha

Your Avis status: Preferred Plus
Car type/class reserved: mid-size, via Priceline using the Costco AWD
General timing: 10/20 for 9 days
SJC is stingy. PC and I always book full. Always given a Lincoln or Lux. Nothing higher.

That said, I would expect a full size or SUV.
ENOTTY likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:39 am

Group L out of SAN

Anyone on here had recent experiences of Group L out of San Diego (or, I suppose, other nearby locations)?

We're travelling from the UK in a couple of weeks and were wondering what type of vehicle might be the current favourite? Also, do Avis tend to purchase base models at Group L?

Thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:05 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by shonerm
Anyone on here had recent experiences of Group L out of San Diego (or, I suppose, other nearby locations)?

We're travelling from the UK in a couple of weeks and were wondering what type of vehicle might be the current favourite? Also, do Avis tend to purchase base models at Group L?

Thanks.
Haven't been to SAN but there are very few L class vehicles in the Avis fleet: Suburban/Yukon XL/Expedition L/Sequoia. The Enclave is listed here, but I don't think it's proper since it doesn't have the baggage space that Avis says this class does (5 bags). You're most likely to get a Suburban or Yukon XL, unless you're upgraded. Otherwise, I'd say Expedition L would most likely be the case. Rarely, you might get a Sequoia.

The GM/Ford versions are VERY well equipped: think leather, blind spot monitoring, sunroof, front collision warning (GM), front/rear heated seats, auto-folding rear seats, etc. If you get the Sequoia, I'd ask for a swap before even looking inside. All of them I've seen are: high mileage, pathetic interior (cloth seats, looks 2002 in there without any decent screens, etc), smelly due to the mileage/cloth, and the fuel economy was <14MPG when I rented it once. It also has SIGNIFICANTLY less cargo space than the Suburban so I'd say it's not "or similar" to the Avis descriptor.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
You're most likely to get a Suburban or Yukon XL, unless you're upgraded.
Upgraded to what? Wasn't aware there were any classes above L?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:50 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by shonerm
Upgraded to what? Wasn't aware there were any classes above L?
Navigator or Escalade would be most logical. A GL450 might also be am upgrade, if the rear is large enough. Or the Land Cruiser. It's hard to find at Acids, but if you do, it's a GREAT vehicle.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: too many
Booked: large estate, V60 or similar

Any ideas on the vehicles in that class, which seems is the highest they have at the moment?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:54 am

Booked: L (Volvo V40)
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by ng1265
Booked: large estate, V60 or similar

Any ideas on the vehicles in that class, which seems is the highest they have at the moment?
Answering my own question, I got a Renault Megane estate...
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Eurobonus Diamond
Booked: Z (Chevrolet Tahoe)

Anyone been to LAX lately and seen what they have Z class? Hoping for a yukon or Tahoe.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by das_ubersoldat
Booked: L (Volvo V40)
Assigned: D
Car: Audi A4 Combi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.