Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SunPass in FL tip

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

SunPass in FL tip

Just wanted to post a tip that worked for us in FL.

You can take off that sunpass transponder on the windshield (ours was velcroed on) and go into any CVS (or other places listed on sunpass.com) and buy the sunpass sticker for $5. Ask the cashier for a couple of pieces of scotch tape and stick those temporarily on the plastic box the sticker comes in.

Use your smartphone (or whatever) to create an account at sunpass.com and register your sticker. There is an option for registering your rental car. Choose that option and input the license plate and the duration of your rental. The sunpass sticker will come preloaded with the $5 you already paid. I added an extra ten dollars (the min. reload amount). It says it takes a couple of hours to be totally in the system.... ours seemed to be activated immediately.

Use the scotch tape to tape the sticker to the windshield. I know the instructions say it needs to be stuck to the glass - but you don't need to remove the plastic backing to make it work. Just use the scotch tape.

Now drive through the sunpass lanes easy peasy and don't worry about the awful fees Avis charges for using their toll system. You can even logon to your sunpass account and see that it is working and the tolls you were charged.

The roads to the orlando airport don't say Sunpass but they work with the sunpass system.

This worked for us. I found this tip buried in a Disney board somewhere and it has worked for others. Peel your sticker with the tape off before you return the car (but after going through all the toll roads!). Save it for your next trip! I have also read that if you are not planning to return, you can call and have your remaining balance credited back to your card. I have not tried this yet but since I have like $8.75 left I might...

I hope this helps someone else avoid the fees. Happy Travels!
Old May 24, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
How much extra does the rental companies charge for the toll?

I was always under the impression that they don't charge extra other than the toll itself. Never really checked my receipt, either.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Avis $2.95 fee per rental day plus tolls (at posted cash/TOLL-BY-PLATE rates)
$14.75 maximum fee per rental month (30 days) plus tolls (at posted cash/TOLL-BY-PLATE rates)

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

now you could use the cash lane - however some have had problems where they paid the toll by cash and were still charged the toll fee by the car company because it was a sunpass lane as well (the transponder was not turned off) - also some areas of Florida do not have cash lanes any more.

At Avis - if you use the toll roads early in your trip and not at all for the rest of it - you are still charged 2.95 a day even if you don't use toll roads on those days. http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...001366#Florida

These fees and toll discounts may be insignificant to some, but for us that was 2 beers at Epcot World Showcase!
Old May 25, 2012, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by kethry
At Avis - if you use the toll roads early in your trip and not at all for the rest of it - you are still charged 2.95 a day even if you don't use toll roads on those days. http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...001366#Florida
If you use a toll pass (EZ Pass, Plate Pass, TX Pass, etc) at all during your rental, you pay the daily fee for the full rental. It doesn't matter if it's "early in your trip" or anytime that you use the transponder/plate system, unfortunately.
Old May 26, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: Avis First, AA plebian :(
If you are a SunPass customer, enter the rental car's plate on your account to ensure that you don't get double billed. The SunPass folks claim that will work, anyway. Obviously, you need to be sure to remove it when you return the car.

Personally, I just bought one of the portable transponders. If the sticker will work when merely taped to the windshield it shouldn't be any different, though.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:32 pm

Sorry about reviving a sort of dead thread but I had a question regarding this and didn't want to start a whole new thread.

I just want to make sure that your saying if you buy this sunpass, you won't be charged any administrative fees (like $25) a day plus the cost of the toll if you don't pay for any toll type passes with your rental car company when driving on Florida toll roads (like the Florida Turnpike). So all you have to do is go the CVS, but the card and possibly load some money on it and then register the card online and put it on your windshield? Do all the rental car companies have a transponder or something on their windshield for picking up on tolls or only if you opt in for the toll program? I am confused what this transponder looks like and where it's located in the car?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
This is the way I THINK the system works - please feel free to correct me:
1. When you go through the EasyPass/SunPass lane, if a SunPass is detected and the car using it has a license plate that has been registered with the SunPass account with sufficient funds to cover the toll, then that account (and only that account is charged).
2. If a license plate is detected that cannot be associated with a particular SunPass account, then the computers attempt to match that plate with a PlatePass account and that account is charged (triggering advertized service fees).
3. If a license plate is detected and there is neither an associated SunPass or PlatePass account, the computer assumes that there was a toll violation and issues a citation accordingly.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by rtpflyer
This is the way I THINK the system works - please feel free to correct me:
1. When you go through the EasyPass/SunPass lane, if a SunPass is detected and the car using it has a license plate that has been registered with the SunPass account with sufficient funds to cover the toll, then that account (and only that account is charged).
2. If a license plate is detected that cannot be associated with a particular SunPass account, then the computers attempt to match that plate with a PlatePass account and that account is charged (triggering advertized service fees).
3. If a license plate is detected and there is neither an associated SunPass or PlatePass account, the computer assumes that there was a toll violation and issues a citation accordingly.
Thanks, that sounds fairly correct. If anyone else can 100% confirm this that would be appreciated as I really don't want to risk the $25 fees for every toll road.

Do you know where on your car you play the sunpass? Is it a sticker or something that you put over a transponder that the rental car company puts in the car? Where would you find this transponder and can the car companies not just deactivate their transponder?

Lastly, does this sunpass also work when using HOT lanes (not HOV)?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by xylum
Lastly, does this sunpass also work when using HOT lanes (not HOV)?
Yes it does

TW
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
SunPass Customers:
SunPass customers using a rental vehicle may have their tolls applied to their SunPass account. Customers with SunPass Portable transponders may use their transponders in their rental vehicles. (It is strongly recommended that SunPass customers access their online SunPass accounts or contact the SunPass Customer Service Center to add the rental vehicle subscription to their account for the rental period.) Please remember to remove your transponder upon return of the vehicle.
SunPass customers that do not have their transponders in the vehicle are subject to the tolls, fees and charges set forth below and in their rental agreements.

Have a look here for rental car info: https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar
and here for info on the transponders, including installation/placement: https://www.sunpass.com/howSunPassWorks

You can buy a SunPass transponder at a few different chains, including Publix, Sedano's, and CVS.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question Can I change a car for sticker sunpass?

I will visit Florida soon, and probably again.
The 1st post in this thread says it is possible to attach the sticker sunpass with scotch-tape.
So - question:
On a sunpass acct with sticker sunpass:
Is it possible to change the registered car number ??
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by IntFF
The 1st post in this thread says it is possible to attach the sticker sunpass with scotch-tape.
So - question:
With the caveat that I'm not in FL so I'm not speaking from experience, SunPass (and, for that matter, most ETC agencies) will let you register any vehicle against your account. From looking at the SunPass site, I don't get the impression that their systems know the difference between a sticker tag and a traditional transponder tag.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by IntFF
So - question:
Yes it is possible to register the car. The sticker does not need any scotch tape, it is self-adhesive. Just make sure that under registration/add vehicles you have the tag number and year of the vehicle and also days and time that you are going to use the sticker.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by mandres
Yes it is possible to register the car. The sticker does not need any scotch tape, it is self-adhesive. Just make sure that under registration/add vehicles you have the tag number and year of the vehicle and also days and time that you are going to use the sticker.
IIRC, the adhesive on the SunPass sticker tag doesn't allow for easy removal from the vehicle. Using scotch tape allows for more portability.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
Just a warning. Check the Sunpass every time you get in the car to make sure it stays closed (un chargeable) if you were not planning to use it. I ensured it was closed when I first rented the car and had been paying cash every day. On my final day (and on the way to the airport) I went to pay and the Pass attendant said I had already paid via my pass. Sure enough, it had somehow joggled open enough to have paid the toll. End result is toll "rent" by Avis for my entire rental and one toll.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.