Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (from January 2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: italdesign
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)
- no availability showing at all on the website (try logging out and logging back in)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

You need to have 40% of the miles in your account for them to make the booking. On some occasions, credit card points do not transfer over immediately. In such cases also send screenshots of the points being debited from your credit card. In some cases the LM account will immediately show the points transferred in the account activity section. Send a screenshot of that as well.

After a day or two, you will get a reply via email saying the matter has been escalated to an internal area. The next day someone will call you from 305 447 2819 and will process the payment over the phone. You will need to set a PIN which you can do in your online LM account (under the account access section of your online profile).

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected] (invalid as of July 2022)
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
========

Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (from January 2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
It’s within the rules to make certain changes, of which cabin class is one. This should be a standard change for $150. I have done this pre-covid.

They will tell you before making any change if this was going to be a cancel, redeposit and rebook.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I called and the rep was extremely insistent that they could not change the cabin class, only the dates; they were a little aggressive about this. Eventually they transferred me to the ticketing department who said the same thing although with a bit more confidence. I imagine it is possible but they just don’t want to do it?

I think I am going to risk a redeposit, but I hope the miles will post from cancelling it quickly as the flight is in <72 hours 😬
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by dlflyer00
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I called and the rep was extremely insistent that they could not change the cabin class, only the dates; they were a little aggressive about this. Eventually they transferred me to the ticketing department who said the same thing although with a bit more confidence. I imagine it is possible but they just don’t want to do it?

I think I am going to risk a redeposit, but I hope the miles will post from cancelling it quickly as the flight is in <72 hours 😬
IME when the rep cancels it, the miles redeposit instantaneously. they generally stay on the line when you do it. however, I've only done this once so maybe others can chime in those who've done this numerous times?
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Thanks. Do you know what number they will call from? I usually don't pick up calls not in my contacts.
I get a call from a Miami number area code 305 showed up on my phone as Electronic Palm LLC
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I just transferred Amex to AV. I can see the it in my transaction history, but my balance has not been updated. I can also do a transfer to someone else's AVm but cannot book a ticket. Is this usual? How long will it take to update? Did it about 2 hours ago.

Is there any special fee waiver for cancelling award tickets due to Covid?
Old Feb 13, 2022, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

The rules aren't exactly laid out clearly, and perhaps a bit has got lost in translation to English?

Here is the full text of the rules around star alliance redemptions:
c. Redemption of Award Tickets in Airlines members of Star Alliance (including flights combined with routes of AVIANCA)
The present conditions apply to the redemption of Award Tickets in routes operated by Airlines members of Star Alliance. For the redemption of Award Tickets in routes operated exclusively by Avianca, the conditions of section b) above shall be applicable, but in case the Award Ticket combines flights operated by Airlines of Star Alliance, including Avianca, the present conditions shall be applicable.
Award Tickets have a validity of one year commencing on its date of issue
Infants, children’s and other special discounts do not apply to Award Tickets; therefore the total amount of miles published for an Award Ticket for an adult in a confirmed seat shall be applied.
Cabin Availability for Award Tickets is subject to the operation and authorizacion of each Air Partner
Redemption of award tickets in mixed cabins (meaning combining segments in economy, business or first class) is allowed under the following conditions:
• Mixed cabins are only allowed when there is no availability on the preferred cabin selected when searching any of the segments in the Origen/Destination. If the member does not select a preferred cabin the search will be made in Economy Class.
• Mixed cabins are only allowed between the selected preferred cabin and inferior cabins.
• If for a segment there is more tan one cabin available, the combination will be made with the highest cabin available.
• The mileage needed for the whole award ticket corresponds to the mileage for the highest cabin.
• Reimbursement and date change conditions for the award ticket are the conditions of the highest cabin of the ticket.
• Date changes are subject to availability. If there is no availability on the redeemed cabin on the desired date, if the member chooses to do so, cabin changes are allowed. Change in cabins (even to an inferior cabin) will not result in a redeposit of the redeemed miles. For date changes to proceed at least one of the segments of each Origen/Destination must be on the highest cabin redeemed.
The charge for redemption of an Award Ticket through www.lifemiles.com with Star Alliance Airlines is US$ 25 + local taxes. Redemption of Award Tickets in other channels shall be subject to a redemption charge depending on the selected route, time in advance of the flight and Elite Status of the redeeming member.
The service charge with Star Alliance Airlines is non-reimbursable.
For information of baggage or special services policies the member must contact the airline(s) operating its schedule.
A penalty for change of dates of US$150 plus applicable local taxes (local taxes depend on the applicability of taxes in each country)
The change of dates or Schedule in Award Tickets are subject to the following conditions:
• Changes of date are subject to seat availability in the airline operating the flight;
• In case the Award Ticket has not been used in any of its portions, the member may change a Star Alliance Airline with which it shall fly under the following conditions:
o Change of flight Origin - Destination is not allowed
o The incorporation of Stop Over not previously existing in the schedule is not allowed.
o Any variation in taxes must be paid by the member.
• If the Award Ticket has been used in any of its portions it may only make changes in the same airline.
Changes of date or Schedule in Award Tickets redeemed with an Airline member of Star Alliance may be made exclusively through any channel of LifeMiles (Call Center, Selling Point), irrespective the geographical location of the member. Changes in the operating airline are not allowed.
The minimum anticipation time for redemptions with Star Alliance Airlines is forty eight (48) hours prior to the flight.
Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. The member is responsible for reviewing all conditions of the Award Ticket including reimbursement conditions before redeeming the Award Ticket and requesting it´s reimbursement.
Partially used Award Tickets are not reimbursable.
In case a passenger elects the option of flexible payment product (at the time of redemption the payment is made partly with miles and partly with money) this ticket is considered an
Award Ticket completely redeemed with miles, since miles are purchased with money as well as the payment of taxes applicable to such purchase.
In case of the reimbursement of an Award Ticket obtained through a flexible payment, if such reimbursement is applicable, it shall be made through a deposit in the LifeMiles account of the member of the totality of miles of the product acquired and in no case money collected from the purchase of miles during the redemption process using flexible payment shall be reimbursed.
Taxes, fees and contributions collected at the time of redeeming an Award Ticket related to the travel Schedule shall be subject to reimbursement according to the taxation rules of each country.
Award Tickets shall be subject to the conditions of the products selected for redemption. The member is responsible for verifying and getting acquainted with the conditions of the redemption product it acquires before the respective redemption.
LifeMiles does not guarantee the availability of seats on the dates and schedules selected by the member. LifeMiles shall not be responsible for the lack of seats for the member to redeem miles for an Award Ticket.
LifeMiles does not assume any responsibility in relation to the services rendered by the airline operating the flight of the Award Ticket or the flight itself.

I suppose from that you could see how they are saying no change to a higher class, only a lower class is allowed. I don't have the previous copies of the rules to compare.
dlflyer00 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 1:02 am

I just transferred Amex to AV. I can see the it in my transaction history, but my balance has not been updated. I can also do a transfer to someone else's AVm but cannot book a ticket. Is this usual? How long will it take to update? Did it about 2 hours ago.

Is there any special fee waiver for cancelling award tickets due to Covid?
I had this issue as well. The first Amex transfer took almost exactly 24h to be available for flight bookings. My second transfer was immediate.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 4:19 am

The rules aren't exactly laid out clearly, and perhaps a bit has got lost in translation to English?

Here is the full text of the rules around star alliance redemptions:
c. Redemption of Award Tickets in Airlines members of Star Alliance (including flights combined with routes of AVIANCA)
The present conditions apply to the redemption of Award Tickets in routes operated by Airlines members of Star Alliance. For the redemption of Award Tickets in routes operated exclusively by Avianca, the conditions of section b) above shall be applicable, but in case the Award Ticket combines flights operated by Airlines of Star Alliance, including Avianca, the present conditions shall be applicable.
Award Tickets have a validity of one year commencing on its date of issue
Infants, children’s and other special discounts do not apply to Award Tickets; therefore the total amount of miles published for an Award Ticket for an adult in a confirmed seat shall be applied.
Cabin Availability for Award Tickets is subject to the operation and authorizacion of each Air Partner
Redemption of award tickets in mixed cabins (meaning combining segments in economy, business or first class) is allowed under the following conditions:
• Mixed cabins are only allowed when there is no availability on the preferred cabin selected when searching any of the segments in the Origen/Destination. If the member does not select a preferred cabin the search will be made in Economy Class.
• Mixed cabins are only allowed between the selected preferred cabin and inferior cabins.
• If for a segment there is more tan one cabin available, the combination will be made with the highest cabin available.
• The mileage needed for the whole award ticket corresponds to the mileage for the highest cabin.
• Reimbursement and date change conditions for the award ticket are the conditions of the highest cabin of the ticket.
• Date changes are subject to availability. If there is no availability on the redeemed cabin on the desired date, if the member chooses to do so, cabin changes are allowed. Change in cabins (even to an inferior cabin) will not result in a redeposit of the redeemed miles. For date changes to proceed at least one of the segments of each Origen/Destination must be on the highest cabin redeemed.
The charge for redemption of an Award Ticket through www.lifemiles.com with Star Alliance Airlines is US$ 25 + local taxes. Redemption of Award Tickets in other channels shall be subject to a redemption charge depending on the selected route, time in advance of the flight and Elite Status of the redeeming member.
The service charge with Star Alliance Airlines is non-reimbursable.
For information of baggage or special services policies the member must contact the airline(s) operating its schedule.
A penalty for change of dates of US$150 plus applicable local taxes (local taxes depend on the applicability of taxes in each country)
The change of dates or Schedule in Award Tickets are subject to the following conditions:
• Changes of date are subject to seat availability in the airline operating the flight;
• In case the Award Ticket has not been used in any of its portions, the member may change a Star Alliance Airline with which it shall fly under the following conditions:
o Change of flight Origin - Destination is not allowed
o The incorporation of Stop Over not previously existing in the schedule is not allowed.
o Any variation in taxes must be paid by the member.
• If the Award Ticket has been used in any of its portions it may only make changes in the same airline.
Changes of date or Schedule in Award Tickets redeemed with an Airline member of Star Alliance may be made exclusively through any channel of LifeMiles (Call Center, Selling Point), irrespective the geographical location of the member. Changes in the operating airline are not allowed.
The minimum anticipation time for redemptions with Star Alliance Airlines is forty eight (48) hours prior to the flight.
Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. The member is responsible for reviewing all conditions of the Award Ticket including reimbursement conditions before redeeming the Award Ticket and requesting it´s reimbursement.
Partially used Award Tickets are not reimbursable.
In case a passenger elects the option of flexible payment product (at the time of redemption the payment is made partly with miles and partly with money) this ticket is considered an
Award Ticket completely redeemed with miles, since miles are purchased with money as well as the payment of taxes applicable to such purchase.
In case of the reimbursement of an Award Ticket obtained through a flexible payment, if such reimbursement is applicable, it shall be made through a deposit in the LifeMiles account of the member of the totality of miles of the product acquired and in no case money collected from the purchase of miles during the redemption process using flexible payment shall be reimbursed.
Taxes, fees and contributions collected at the time of redeeming an Award Ticket related to the travel Schedule shall be subject to reimbursement according to the taxation rules of each country.
Award Tickets shall be subject to the conditions of the products selected for redemption. The member is responsible for verifying and getting acquainted with the conditions of the redemption product it acquires before the respective redemption.
LifeMiles does not guarantee the availability of seats on the dates and schedules selected by the member. LifeMiles shall not be responsible for the lack of seats for the member to redeem miles for an Award Ticket.
LifeMiles does not assume any responsibility in relation to the services rendered by the airline operating the flight of the Award Ticket or the flight itself.

I suppose from that you could see how they are saying no change to a higher class, only a lower class is allowed. I don't have the previous copies of the rules to compare.
Seems I am probably screwed here as my ticket has already been flown on the outbound and refunds are not permitted… I will call once again, but another representative told me that I cannot cancel nor upgrade at this point.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 6:35 am

Could you share the number? We were booking for a friend to go to a funeral next week and now after buying the miles he is stuck in this endless loop, unable to book the flight. We send of the screenshots yesterday but so far no reply. Is there an Avianca booking office in Miami we can call or even go to?
Old Feb 13, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems I am probably screwed here as my ticket has already been flown on the outbound and refunds are not permitted… I will call once again, but another representative told me that I cannot cancel nor upgrade at this point.
I think that’s the key… if you have partially used the award then you can’t make the change you want, or refund.

There’s a bit of a catch-22… I usually book 2 x one ways, but the downside is that there’s $200 x 2 payable if you need to cancel both tickets instead of a single $200 cancelling a return.
dlflyer00 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michhol
Could you share the number? We were booking for a friend to go to a funeral next week and now after buying the miles he is stuck in this endless loop, unable to book the flight. We send of the screenshots yesterday but so far no reply. Is there an Avianca booking office in Miami we can call or even go to?
If you can see the availability on line for an end-to-end itinerary, but there’s an error during booking, the call centre can help you book it. If this is the case pick a toll free number that’s easiest for you, for example the USA toll free is free on skype.

If you had to construct the itinerary using the screenshot method because availability was only available sector by sector, there’s not a lot you can do. There’s no way to call the special department to get them to hurry up. I have found however that they will usually come through in the end, although stressful while waiting.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:22 am

Screenshot method can have some advantages. When I requested TG SYD-BKK-LHR, by the time they took action the availability was gone, so they booked me on SQ SYD-SIN-LHR without asking and this of course wasn’t available on the site. I didn’t complain.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Screenshot method can have some advantages. When I requested TG SYD-BKK-LHR, by the time they took action the availability was gone, so they booked me on SQ SYD-SIN-LHR without asking and this of course wasn’t available on the site. I didn’t complain.
I assume this is Biz (I don't dare to think First)? Nice one nonetheless. Buy a lottery ticket as you seem to be on a lucky streak .
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got an email response to my screenshot email request and it says my issue has been escalated to an internal area and I will have to wait for a response from them. Is this typical?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got an email response to my screenshot email request and it says my issue has been escalated to an internal area and I will have to wait for a response from them. Is this typical?
Yup - that's normal.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup - that's normal.
Thanks. Do you have the phone number from which they call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.