Wiki Posts
Search

Lifemiles Expiration

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:07 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by RuinousTwang
I guess my only option is to purchase additional miles.
My expiration date was renewed when I transferred points (from my bank) into miles a few months ago.
Another option might be to purchase an Uber gift card (for Colombia for instance you'd get 5 miles when purchasing 10,000 COP, which is under $3).
Global321 and RuinousTwang like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:55 am

Just to see, I tried a 1,000 point transfer from Amex MR to Lifemiles, and despite the T&Cs, the expiration date has been extended, to 2023-04-30. Cool.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
ugh i haven't been checking my accounts as regularly and just left 182k miles expire =((((( they expired like 3 days ago, i called in and they offered the $10 for 1k miles, but I'm not sure i'm willing to sink $1800 to reactive them!
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by bbmatt
ugh i haven't been checking my accounts as regularly and just left 182k miles expire =((((( they expired like 3 days ago, i called in and they offered the $10 for 1k miles, but I'm not sure i'm willing to sink $1800 to reactive them!
It sucks, but if you do the math, it probably makes sense to spend the money. (If you have it)

You could fly round trip first class from North America to Southeast Asia. For $1800 that is a steal.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Global321
It sucks, but if you do the math, it probably makes sense to spend the money. (If you have it)

You could fly round trip first class from North America to Southeast Asia. For $1800 that is a steal.
yah, but i also have so many points elsewhere too that I'm not using (this was by no means my largest point balance...). That's the reason why i accidentally let them expire because i had. t logged in and thought about it in a while.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bbmatt
You do not have to check your accounts regularly: Just put a reminder on your calendar one (or maybe two) months before any miles or points are due to expire, so that you have adequate time to save them if you wish to. That won't fix your current problem, but will prevent future ones.
Global321 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by RuinousTwang
Just to see, I tried a 1,000 point transfer from Amex MR to Lifemiles, and despite the T&Cs, the expiration date has been extended, to 2023-04-30. Cool.
Was the extension of the expiration date instant? Or how long did you have to wait for that to update? And when did you do this?
Old May 6, 2022, 8:08 pm

I initiated the transfer on April 1, 2022 and I believe I checked the new expiration date on the day after the transfer occurred, by which time it had already been extended.
Old May 12, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by guv1976
You do not have to check your accounts regularly: Just put a reminder on your calendar one (or maybe two) months before any miles or points are due to expire, so that you have adequate time to save them if you wish to. That won't fix your current problem, but will prevent future ones.
I do this as well. My AV miles expire in the Fall and if I do not have any earning flights or hotel stays before October, I will buy some miles to keep my account active.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:26 pm

I extended my wife's miles but they only offered me a buy miles for $280 option. 1000 mile purchase did not work.

Edit: Or maybe it did? Seems extended till 2023.

Last edited by erik123; Jul 1, 2022 at 2:23 am
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:01 pm
soy

Programs: various
booking hotels with free cancellation is another option https://www.lifemiles.com/stay/hotels
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy
booking hotels with free cancellation is another option https://www.lifemiles.com/stay/hotels
Surely if you cancel the hotel, you will get zero points, won't you?
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:22 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Booking hotel using Lifemiles miles and then canceling the hotel later on (hence ensure fully refundable booking) and get your miles back. Tried this, but still waiting to see if it worked.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by demue
Booking hotel using Lifemiles miles and then canceling the hotel later on (hence ensure fully refundable booking) and get your miles back. Tried this, but still waiting to see if it worked.

When did you cancel? Expiry should change 24 hours after you cancel.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:24 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
2 days out. At first I thought the booking of hotel triggers it, but then realized it is the redeposit of the miles, similar to a cancelled and redeposited flight. Let's see, it's LM after all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.