Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Every forum on Flyertalk has a personality. A forum gains a personality through user input over time, and Lifemiles is a very definitive example of how users have developed a unique community.

While Flyertalk boards actively encourage sharing of info, the Lifemiles community has developed and thrived via obscuring of certain data elements. It may not be easy for new participants to break through the codes and gain knowledge of the program's quirks, but the overall board community has adopted this unique approach. And frankly, that is not going to change overnight.

If a FT member wants to participate on this board, then they will need to respect other users. Hence, posts that run counter to this community's standards, will be removed.
Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

LifeMiles' old Star Alliance Award Chart (before Oct 15 2014) // Table of changes

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).

Understand Cabotage: Departing country 1, transiting country 2, returning to country 1 (no stopping) *is* cabotage (example: depart JFK, connect in YYZ to return to ORD, or depart Miami, connect in Bogota, return to San Francisco). On the other hand, departing country 1, going to completely unrelated country 2, and ending up in country 3, is not cabotage. So if you fly JFK-JNB-ZRH, for instance, this is completely not cabotage.

Availability: Seeing availability for *A award seats elsewhere is no guarantee they are accessible on Lifemiles. For instance award space shown on ANA often is not accessible on Lifemiles. Similarly, finding award space on single legs doesn't mean you'll get award space on the combined itinerary. And no, there is no way to overcome that.

Screenshot Method
Send email to [email protected] with attached screenshots on Lifemiles website of each individual leg showing availability. Also, screenshot showing no availability as one booking. Include passenger names, gender and DOB and copy of passenger passport. They will either call you for payment or email the itinerary and give you 3 days to call up and make payment by CC.

NOTE: This previous thread has been closed; it can be read here LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:11 pm

I'm trying to book LH F from the USA to Asia via FRA, but even though each individual leg shows LH F availability on the Lifemiles website (USA-FRA, FRA-Asia), when I search for USA-Asia on the same date, nothing shows up.
If I select Smart Search Star Alliance as the carrier, no results show up, and if I select Lufthansa specifically as the carrier, the website gives me an error that says the origin and destination are not allowed for the carrier selected.
Is there any way to book LH F for travel from the USA to Asia?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by agjil
I'm trying to book LH F from the USA to Asia via FRA, but even though each individual leg shows LH F availability on the Lifemiles website (USA-FRA, FRA-Asia), when I search for USA-Asia on the same date, nothing shows up.
If I select Smart Search Star Alliance as the carrier, no results show up, and if I select Lufthansa specifically as the carrier, the website gives me an error that says the origin and destination are not allowed for the carrier selected.
The "new and improved" LM website has gotten rid of most of these MPM-violating itineraries.
US-Asia via Europe doesn't work anymore (but I wouldn't say "NEVER WORKS ANYMORE". )
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by agjil
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
The "new and improved" LM website has gotten rid of most of these MPM-violating itineraries.
US-Asia via Europe doesn't work anymore (but I wouldn't say "NEVER WORKS ANYMORE". )
That might be a candidate for booking using the screenshot method: Email Lifemiles with a copy of the two separate LH legs, and a copy of the combined itinerary showing no LH flights and ask if they can ticket it for you.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by jubbing
Seems like all the blogs are picking up on this after I posted 24 hours ago. Doesn't matter - they may close this soon, but I got the flight I wanted so smiley faces all around.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
On another interesting note, the old engine shows up around midnight US eastern timezone, once a week (on random days) during maintenance in Colombia. Time it well, and you can reap some old benefits.
Is this still the case?? I have some leftover miles I would like to spend on one of the old routes I used that isn’t available on the new engine. Would be worth the hassle of setting some alarms and checking.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:12 am

Havent seen it in over 2 months. I believe the old interface is dead and burried.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Havent seen it in over 2 months. I believe the old interface is dead and burried.
Thanks. Such a shame but I suppose there were many fares that were too good to be true. Without the old little gems it is just another airline with a poor earn&burn. Time to swap over to A3 for *A for their incredible earn:burn. In the meantime I may just try the email technique with lifemiles and see if they will ticket a backtracking route from EU-Asia (very low hopes).
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by pogonation
Thanks. Such a shame but I suppose there were many fares that were too good to be true. Without the old little gems it is just another airline with a poor earn&burn. Time to swap over to A3 for *A for their incredible earn:burn. In the meantime I may just try the email technique with lifemiles and see if they will ticket a backtracking route from EU-Asia (very low hopes).
Don't you have to pay YQ for LH, OS, and other *A carriers with Aegean M+B?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Don't you have to pay YQ for LH, OS, and other *A carriers with Aegean M+B?
value of miles (cost and usefulness) versus fuel surcharge is rarely an apples to apples comparison.
some people are comfortable with paying the YQ if they can get their required award itineraries booked with their miles.
LM’s achiles heel is that it won’t even show some obvious flights/routes, which devalues the LM points.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:50 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
When I was looking for seats around the middle of March, occasionally (and randomly) the old interface would show up. Having been checking the same dates/city pairs for weeks hoping for something to open up, I was pretty familiar with what LM showed available and didn't see any difference between what the old and current booking engines offered.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: HU G, 3U G, CZ G, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL Plat, IHG SRA, TK G, Hilton G
ANYONE WISHING TO SHARE ANY TRICKS FOR LM for me ? I used to know GUMMY bear and flown it. But now I thought there is other Tricks might be working. Anyone willing to share to me? Please PM me if you could. I could offer you some IHG points for rewards
Old May 11, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: HU G, 3U G, CZ G, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL Plat, IHG SRA, TK G, Hilton G
Could you give me a hint in PM? Also looking for some routes to C3
Old May 12, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA

Do you need to fill up your blog with some infrormation, Yi Yang ?
Old May 12, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Have seen some LH F on a normal route so no tricks but its not showing up on UA.com. Was wondering if this is normal before I buy the miles for it and turns out to be phantom.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
I got fra to bos and all ticketed o,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.