Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Every forum on Flyertalk has a personality. A forum gains a personality through user input over time, and Lifemiles is a very definitive example of how users have developed a unique community.

While Flyertalk boards actively encourage sharing of info, the Lifemiles community has developed and thrived via obscuring of certain data elements. It may not be easy for new participants to break through the codes and gain knowledge of the program's quirks, but the overall board community has adopted this unique approach. And frankly, that is not going to change overnight.

If a FT member wants to participate on this board, then they will need to respect other users. Hence, posts that run counter to this community's standards, will be removed.
Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

LifeMiles' old Star Alliance Award Chart (before Oct 15 2014) // Table of changes

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).

Understand Cabotage: Departing country 1, transiting country 2, returning to country 1 (no stopping) *is* cabotage (example: depart JFK, connect in YYZ to return to ORD, or depart Miami, connect in Bogota, return to San Francisco). On the other hand, departing country 1, going to completely unrelated country 2, and ending up in country 3, is not cabotage. So if you fly JFK-JNB-ZRH, for instance, this is completely not cabotage.

Availability: Seeing availability for *A award seats elsewhere is no guarantee they are accessible on Lifemiles. For instance award space shown on ANA often is not accessible on Lifemiles. Similarly, finding award space on single legs doesn't mean you'll get award space on the combined itinerary. And no, there is no way to overcome that.

Screenshot Method
Send email to [email protected] with attached screenshots on Lifemiles website of each individual leg showing availability. Also, screenshot showing no availability as one booking. Include passenger names, gender and DOB and copy of passenger passport. They will either call you for payment or email the itinerary and give you 3 days to call up and make payment by CC.

NOTE: This previous thread has been closed; it can be read here LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by merridius
none of my asia-east coast searches shows up a routing that goes through europe, i wonder if they're purposely blocking these
specify airline for better results. Furthermore, check on united, Aeroplan or EF to see if there is premium availability on both flights, so you can pinpoint your searches!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
specify airline for better results. Furthermore, check on united, Aeroplan or EF to see if there is premium availability on both flights, so you can pinpoint your searches!
i think they definitely are blocking it, trying BKK-ORD and specifying TK/LH/LX a message pops up:
"The origin/destination entered is not available for the selected airline. Please try with another search"

makes sense though asia-america is cheaper than asia-europe in Y on their chart so i'm not surprised if they want to block it

EDIT: stuff like SYD-TYO on UA is blocked too

Last edited by merridius; Sep 21, 2017 at 10:12 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:18 pm

Does LM change their award chart rate without notice again? I just did a search on SYD-PEK, it indicates rather than 40000, I have to pay 50000 now. Has anybody found any other changes?

Edit: sorry, didn't realise the change happened back in may.

Last edited by lanyun89; Sep 21, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by lanyun89
Does LM change their award chart rate without notice again? I just did a search on SYD-PEK, it indicates rather than 40000, I have to pay 50000 now. Has anybody found any other changes?

Edit: sorry, didn't realise the change happened back in may.
You'll find PEK-SYD is still 40k though!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
You'll find PEK-SYD is still 40k though!
That's because, if I understood correctly, "leaving" from Australia is now more expensive than "going to" as far as North Asia is concerned.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
i think they definitely are blocking it, trying BKK-ORD and specifying TK/LH/LX a message pops up: "The origin/destination entered is not available for the selected airline. Please try with another search" makes sense though asia-america is cheaper than asia-europe in Y on their chart so i'm not surprised if they want to block it
EDIT: stuff like SYD-TYO on UA is blocked too
Considering the new site is less welcoming to such out if the way itineraries, do you have a specific need to go through Europe?
That's likely the problem. Try specifying Asiana or ANA.

Or, log out, change your country to "Rest of the World", then log in. You should get the old interface.

Last edited by Tokyoite; Sep 22, 2017 at 5:49 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:06 am

Do you have a specific need to go through Europe. That's likely the problem, considering the new site is less welcoming to such out if the way itineraries. Try specifying Asiana or ana.
well i was hoping to get asia-europe for cheap...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:22 pm

Considering the new site is less welcoming to such out if the way itineraries, do you have a specific need to go through Europe?
That's likely the problem. Try specifying Asiana or ANA.

Or, log out, change your country to "Rest of the World", then log in. You should get the old interface.
Seems none of the old interfaces are available anymore. Oh wells..
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by waver99
Seems none of the old interfaces are available anymore. Oh wells..
if you wait until your login times out and then click "new search" it will bring you back to the old interface is what im seeing

EDIT: on another note, LM blocking asia-europe-US routes are annoying me since i can see availability on united's website with the european *A carriers for the dates i can work with but not the asian carriers...
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Hilarious only LM could give you so many options
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
if you wait until your login times out and then click "new search" it will bring you back to the old interface is what im seeing

EDIT: on another note, LM blocking asia-europe-US routes are annoying me since i can see availability on united's website with the european *A carriers for the dates i can work with but not the asian carriers...
You could try the screenshot method if you can find the flight individually (ie Asia-Europe and Europe-USA).

Although how the screenshot works with the new interface, if other flights are showing, remains to be seen (what screenshot do we provide?). LM may come back with an offer of the direct flights trans-pacific.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat.M&S E+

Sorry, it does'nt work on Safari and Firefox
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:45 am

i just found something VERY interesting... i dont know if this has been documented before

so i was looking for a flight a couple of days ago for 2 and found one which was a good deal, space was decent, with the LM website showing 4-3-3 seats for open for each leg respectively. i stopped at the payment page because i wanted to confirm with my travel companion if the itinerary was fine. he didn't reply me immediately so i surfed away from the payment page. about 10 minutes later i got the OK so i decided to search for the exact same city pair, only this time the award didn't show up so i thought damn i missed out. i searched for 1 person and interestingly the award showed up, this time with 2-1-1 seats available for each leg. i didn't really think about it and went to sleep

today, i thought about it and it seemed suspicious so i decided to try something. i searched for last minute availability for 2 people, and i found a J class ticket with 4 seats open. again, i decided to click through and stopped at the payment page again, and redid the search. lo and behold, the exact same flight was showing now only 2 seats open.
i'm not going to try again and take any more seats away from people so take from that what you will

tldr: i believe once you hit the payment page, LM removes the award space from its website... the original itinerary i was looking at still has not showed up so i don't know whether they ever return the seats
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
LM removes the award space from its website... the original itinerary i was looking at still has not showed up so i don't know whether they ever return the seats
this is about the same as it was. if your INET connection fails, you were able to call in and finish the booking. Space was usually given free again after exactly 72 hours. I once needed to do this on the point and it worked.
So this issue remains the same.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
tldr: i believe once you hit the payment page, LM removes the award space from its website... the original itinerary i was looking at still has not showed up so i don't know whether they ever return the seats
Its always done that. I found that handy once as the payment failed but they had created a PNR so a call got the ticket issued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.