Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Every forum on Flyertalk has a personality. A forum gains a personality through user input over time, and Lifemiles is a very definitive example of how users have developed a unique community.

While Flyertalk boards actively encourage sharing of info, the Lifemiles community has developed and thrived via obscuring of certain data elements. It may not be easy for new participants to break through the codes and gain knowledge of the program's quirks, but the overall board community has adopted this unique approach. And frankly, that is not going to change overnight.

If a FT member wants to participate on this board, then they will need to respect other users. Hence, posts that run counter to this community's standards, will be removed.
Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

LifeMiles' old Star Alliance Award Chart (before Oct 15 2014) // Table of changes

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).

Understand Cabotage: Departing country 1, transiting country 2, returning to country 1 (no stopping) *is* cabotage (example: depart JFK, connect in YYZ to return to ORD, or depart Miami, connect in Bogota, return to San Francisco). On the other hand, departing country 1, going to completely unrelated country 2, and ending up in country 3, is not cabotage. So if you fly JFK-JNB-ZRH, for instance, this is completely not cabotage.

Availability: Seeing availability for *A award seats elsewhere is no guarantee they are accessible on Lifemiles. For instance award space shown on ANA often is not accessible on Lifemiles. Similarly, finding award space on single legs doesn't mean you'll get award space on the combined itinerary. And no, there is no way to overcome that.

Screenshot Method
Send email to [email protected] with attached screenshots on Lifemiles website of each individual leg showing availability. Also, screenshot showing no availability as one booking. Include passenger names, gender and DOB and copy of passenger passport. They will either call you for payment or email the itinerary and give you 3 days to call up and make payment by CC.

NOTE: This previous thread has been closed; it can be read here LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 7:17 am

You are still coding? Seriously?
Old May 20, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by greendx
While they may not notice/care about the TK flight you will NOT be able to check in online because of your final destination that requires a visa (assuming US citizen or citizen of other countries requiring visas). When you get to the airport you will not be able to check in via kiosk either without an agent intervention because they will be prompted to confirm that you have a visa even though you can of course get one on arrival. So you will just have to tell the agent that that's your plan, to get VOA.
Correct. But 99% likely that UA will check for UK entry eligibility, not Turkey.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by erik123
Correct. But 99% likely that UA will check for UK entry eligibility, not Turkey.
They definitely checked for Turkey with me. The initial agent was not aware of VOA and didn't believe me that it exists in Turkey, had to ask someone else. Then the second agent asked me why I didn't just get a Visa in advance before finally printing my boarding passes. This was back in January.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by erik123
LHR/LGW transit exemption.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
This thread tends to be not any more " the occasional trick it "

This thread tends to be not any more " the occasional trick it " !
Lately only find discussions about VISA's , booking Problems etc.
Shouldn't here only discussed as per title ?? ( even there is not much left ).
Old May 21, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by bertheike
This thread tends to be not any more " the occasional trick it " !
Lately only find discussions about VISA's , booking Problems etc.
Shouldn't here only discussed as per title ?? ( even there is not much left ).
much left? Are you sure there is something "tricky" left?
Old May 22, 2015, 2:00 am

There's plenty to talk about but based on past experience I'm afraid no one will ...
Old May 25, 2015, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kanada99
much left? Are you sure there is something "tricky" left?
There are still a few boomerangs. With a Star Alliance route map and some willingness to experiment you might find something that works.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by craigthemif
There are still a few boomerangs. With a Star Alliance route map and some willingness to experiment you might find something that works.
With all due respect, I think that's a bit unfair as an advice.
It's not untrue, there still are some, but these gems are so well hidden, it would take weeks of work to find them, if you haven't been in this game for long.
I would rather advise to study the award chart, look at the areas where there is a fair relatioship between required mileage and normal ticket prices (not that many anymore) and then go ahead and search for availability. This is difficult enough nowadays.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:02 pm

Does Avianca ever have availability on NRT-IAD route? Other routes seem ok on ANA.

**EDIT: The answer is yes. For some reason it wasn't coming up on other dates I was trying.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
It's not untrue, there still are some, but these gems are so well hidden, it would take weeks of work to find them, if you haven't been in this game for long.
Also, without knowledge of them, I'm guessing they are also extremely impractical for 95% of even posters in this thread. If they were more practical, a la gummy bear/chainsaw, they would be harder to keep quiet.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Does Avianca ever have availability on NRT-IAD route? Other routes seem ok on ANA.

**EDIT: The answer is yes. For some reason it wasn't coming up on other dates I was trying.
I've never had problems when searching for NH space with AV for nonstop award searches.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Also, without knowledge of them, I'm guessing they are also extremely impractical for 95% of even posters in this thread. If they were more practical, a la gummy bear/chainsaw, they would be harder to keep quiet.
Good guess
Old May 28, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I've never had problems when searching for NH space with AV for nonstop award searches.

I have gotten F recently
Old May 31, 2015, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
I would rather advise to study the award chart, look at the areas where there is a fair relatioship between required mileage and normal ticket prices (not that many anymore) and then go ahead and search for availability. This is difficult enough nowadays.
Well said. Could not have been summarized any better. As a reminder, for those seeking SQ/LH,NH ( even LX and OZ) availabilities and can not find them. Read my posting from 2-3 months ago. Instead of searching the exact route, search for a "Blind Destination" beyond your destination airport in the same region. Sometimes this will be a boomerang which route through your desired hub airport on your desired carrier. Reverse Married Segments

Primary benefit: Availability. Secondary benefit: You may save a few award miles.

While the above may sound counter intuitive and illogical, remember that is exactly the essence of LM and exactly what can benefit us. Never ever assume or apply logic to LM.

There is even case where when you search AAA to BBB specifying carrier XX, LM will not even recognize BBB as an airport served by XX. However, when you remove the XX carrier specification, then voila, AAA-BBB will show availability and with XX as the only carrier with availability to BBB. GO figure. No better not.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; May 31, 2015 at 5:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.