Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:01 pm

Data point here: had a one way reward ticket BKK to ICN. Called within 24 hours to get a refund, they wanted to charge me the 100 USD cancel fee. I asked if since it was less than 24 hrs since issue could it be waived? Rep asked what country and state I was calling from. Rep consulted his resources, and came back and agreed to the fee-free refund. Was given a five digit case number, and told the miles and taxes would be back in my accounts within 7-10 days.

This was earlier today.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Yes. Why would you like to apply US rules to an independant country as Columbia? The US Border ends south of Key West, FL...
Oh. I see there are a couple of ways to read the OP's question. I thought it was asking about cancelling within 24 hours of departure (if it was possible and if it was the same fee).
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Yes. Why would you like to apply US rules to an independant country as Columbia? The US Border ends south of Key West, FL...
Because if you are in the US when you buy the ticket, it would make sense that US law would govern the sale (although the fact that the flights are completely outside the US might change that).

Originally Posted by MattEvan
Data point here: had a one way reward ticket BKK to ICN. Called within 24 hours to get a refund, they wanted to charge me the 100 USD cancel fee. I asked if since it was less than 24 hrs since issue could it be waived? Rep asked what country and state I was calling from. Rep consulted his resources, and came back and agreed to the fee-free refund. Was given a five digit case number, and told the miles and taxes would be back in my accounts within 7-10 days.
When I asked them the same thing recently, they gave me a deadline to cancel that was well under 24 hr after purchase (something like 10 pm Central American time), and told me that I would have to pay a $200 fee if I canceled after that. They knew I was calling from the US (and the flight was from the US).
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for all the replies. I was asking about cancelling within 24 hours of booking, sorry for not being clear.

I emailed them within 24 hours to cancel, and eventually was told to call in. This is my first time booking a ticket with Lifemiles so I wasn't aware of the procedures so I am out of the 24 window at this point.

As $200 can be paid even for a no-show, I think I am just going to keep the ticket for now and later when I'm ready to book another ticket, I can refund the points and pay the fee.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.

This was earlier today.
Was it resolved?
I also have a data point. Made a silly mistake and booked on the wrong date. I tried, and free cancel within 24 hours for US callers works, to my utter surprise.
MattEvan likes this.

Last edited by Tokyoite; Mar 13, 2018 at 11:26 am
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Was it resolved?
Funny you should ask! As this is Lifemiles, of course it was not resolved. I have followed up at least four times, and having a case number has been somewhat helpful.

The last update was I called them today, and they said there was a "system error" and the miles and taxes/fees refund were being processed today manually. They alleged that I would see the miles shortly. Miles are still not there, and the fee is already disputed with AmEx care. I will update if and when I see the miles back in my wallet.

EDIT, 1:30PM EDT: Miraculously, the miles are now back in my account! So I do believe that US-based members can successfully get a 24 hour cancel at no cost.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:33 am

13-MAR-201808-APR-2018Star Alliance REDEMPTION REVERSAL036,000XXX,XXX
01-MAR-201808-APR-2018Star Alliance MILES REDEMPTION36,0000XXX,XXX
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:51 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
I was trying to figure out Avianca's cancel policy. I am a US based customer, and physically in the US at the moment. I contacted Avianca, because I couldn't get the routing I was hoping for (and they couldn't either). But while I was talking to them I asked a few questions about cancellation as I couldn't find much information on the subject. Also worth mentioning that the ticket is a one way wholly within Central America. Here's the advice I got (parts of it don't make a great deal of sense to me, but I'll pass along what I was told):
  • Tickets booked after 1 a.m. El Salvador time can be voided (full refund of miles and taxes) until 10 p.m. El Salvador time the same day (21 hours later)
  • After that grace period, the change/cancel rates listed on the website apply (in my case $150/$50)
  • The change/cancel rates are per passenger
  • if booked in the same PNR, they can change/cancel only one passenger and leave the other intact
In case that information is helpful to anyone. I left the conversation scratching my head regarding 2 issues:
  1. What happens to tickets booked between 10 p.m. and 1 a.m.? I guess they simply have no courtesy cancel/void period.
  2. Why would anyone in their right mind pay $150 to change a ticket if they could cancel for $50 and rebook?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
I was trying to figure out Avianca's cancel policy. I am a US based customer, and physically in the US at the moment. I contacted Avianca, because I couldn't get the routing I was hoping for (and they couldn't either). But while I was talking to them I asked a few questions about cancellation as I couldn't find much information on the subject. Also worth mentioning that the ticket is a one way wholly within Central America. Here's the advice I got (parts of it don't make a great deal of sense to me, but I'll pass along what I was told):
  • Tickets booked after 1 a.m. El Salvador time can be voided (full refund of miles and taxes) until 10 p.m. El Salvador time the same day (21 hours later)
  • After that grace period, the change/cancel rates listed on the website apply (in my case $150/$50)
  • The change/cancel rates are per passenger
  • if booked in the same PNR, they can change/cancel only one passenger and leave the other intact
In case that information is helpful to anyone. I left the conversation scratching my head regarding 2 issues:
  1. What happens to tickets booked between 10 p.m. and 1 a.m.? I guess they simply have no courtesy cancel/void period.
  2. Why would anyone in their right mind pay $150 to change a ticket if they could cancel for $50 and rebook?
This is a bit on an anomaly. Under the previous rules (which changed in early 2017) cancellations for all tickets was USD50, and the change fee was USD150. So people did exactly as you suggest - cancel and rebook.

Under the new rules, the fee to change most awards is USD150 and to cancel is USD200. So the incentive to (a) make speculative bookings and (b) cancel, is now somewhat less.

For intra-region awards, the old pricing structure remained - USD150 to change, USD50 to cancel. So it is more cost effective to cancel.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:40 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
This is a bit on an anomaly. Under the previous rules (which changed in early 2017) cancellations for all tickets was USD50, and the change fee was USD150. So people did exactly as you suggest - cancel and rebook.

Under the new rules, the fee to change most awards is USD150 and to cancel is USD200. So the incentive to (a) make speculative bookings and (b) cancel, is now somewhat less.

For intra-region awards, the old pricing structure remained - USD150 to change, USD50 to cancel. So it is more cost effective to cancel.
interesting. Thanks. What of this 10 p.m. void rule? Is that normal? I suppose, especially since the ticket doesn't touch the US, the 24 hour rule doesn't really apply. I just found it odd...
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
interesting. Thanks. What of this 10 p.m. void rule? Is that normal? I suppose, especially since the ticket doesn't touch the US, the 24 hour rule doesn't really apply. I just found it odd...
That I don't know. I recall reading somewhere that the 24 hour cancellation does apply for tickets purchased in the US. Perhaps they manually process it for tickets in the 'void' period?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve cancelled a Lifemiles award booking, cancelation fee has been charged and miles returned , however I can see that the reservation status is still confirmed. Is this standard with Lifemiles?

Last edited by Atlantico; Mar 21, 2018 at 4:44 pm
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by Atlantico
I’ve cancelled a Lifemiles award booking, cancelation fee has been charged and miles returned , however I can see that the reservation status is still confirmed. Is this standard with Lifemiles? I'm a bit worried since I also booked a revenue ticket, there one of the segments is the same as the one cancelled on Lifemiles, do I need to fear duplicate booking issues?
Possibly. Others have certainly reported that their cancelled, refunded LM reservations have remained confirmed right up until the original planned departure.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
If cancelled, you can risk it and go to the airport to try to fly. Most likely the operating airline will not allow you to board due to cancelled ticket. Always check to see if the segment status is "OK TO FLY".
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M

This was earlier today.
Would the $25 partner booking fee be refunded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.