Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: This thread has been superseded by the thread entitled LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0. Please follow the discussion there.

Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: buying the max (60%) isn't always the best deal (unless you're purchasing all miles right there). Check here for the best CPM.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
The connection time
There should be full threads on FT about that. Will PM.
Old May 7, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
The connection time between the two Big Ben airports on the way back to C1 seems too close. 3 hrs to pickup luggage, clear customs, make it through traffic, and re-check luggage. For people who have done this trip, how much time to spare did you have?
I think it has been discussed in the LM forum as well...no, it's not really a comfortable connection. Sometimes it will work, it would have a relatively high failure rate though.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
I think it has been discussed in the LM forum as well...no, it's not really a comfortable connection. Sometimes it will work, it would have a relatively high failure rate though.
Sorry, got the PM from BosMan.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Considering that effort started at least 72 hours ago, while yours is 24 at most, and that was much more pointed in that direction, while yours was more concerning your specific ticket, which do you infer as the most likely cause?
With my complaint, the airlines are legally required to respond to my claim, which they already have. I've been in correspondence with the dot and have already been emailed/called twice today and yesterday. My claim deals directly with the availability of United inventory, that Avianca is aware of what needs to be done with my ticket.

The "complaints" on facebook received a standard response from the social media people at LM who probably had no idea what's going on.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
The "complaints" on facebook received a standard response from the social media people at LM who probably had no idea what's going on.
The latest posts on FB actually received an acknowledgement that the matter was being handled by their IT. So apparently they did eventually "get it", or someone higher up "got it" and clued them in or just gave them the new response to use). We'll never know what really got it fixed. Not that it matters any.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks to all the people who wrote in to LM!
Old May 7, 2014, 11:17 pm

Does Australia have cabotage rule?
Old May 7, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by Maayan
The latest posts on FB actually received an acknowledgement that the matter was being handled by their IT. So apparently they did eventually "get it", or someone higher up "got it" and clued them in or just gave them the new response to use). We'll never know what really got it fixed. Not that it matters any.
This is the same in my case, I received separate mails from two different people in customer service on my very concrete error demonstrations, one telling me that it was taken up to higher levels, the other one that IT is on it already.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by 15cats
Does anyone know how "country" is defined for cabotage? And I don't mean this in a facetious way. Is Puerto Rico considered US by this definition? Is St. Maarten technically Dutch? Reunion France? Bermuda or Caymans British? What about UA's milk run in the pacific?

Even if the answer is yes to all of the above, why can I not start a RTW in guam and finish in boston? It's because they are coded as different countries by IATA/ISO. Same with Netherlands and St. Maarten, and so on. Trust me, I've tried.

I'm a little confused by this perceived ambiguity.
This source may be a little dated, but try here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=yhG...page&q&f=false

As for RTW trips, I would bet it has more to do with your attempted start and finish points being in different IATA TC Areas (GUM is Area 3, BOS is Area 1; AMS is Area 2, SXM is in Area 1). I'm fairly sure the definition of a RTW trip includes that it must have exactly 3 sequential crossings between TC Areas, and/or start and finish in the same TC Area.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: DL plat
Originally Posted by janetdoe
This source may be a little dated, but try here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=yhG...page&q&f=false

As for RTW trips, I would bet it has more to do with your attempted start and finish points being in different IATA TC Areas (GUM is Area 3, BOS is Area 1; AMS is Area 2, SXM is in Area 1). I'm fairly sure the definition of a RTW trip includes that it must have exactly 3 sequential crossings between TC Areas, and/or start and finish in the same TC Area.
Excellent source. Thank you very much for that, very informative.

As explained to me by someone else, the RTW bit actually refers to the code assigned by an international organization (ISO) whereas cabotage is governmental law. Two different and unrelated things which have no overlap, both unfortunately not working in our favor. Thanks for helping understand the technicalities.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: AP 75k
Read through all of the thread and picked up pieces here and there, can anyone a few hints (PM) for C3-C1...kind of stumped here
Old May 8, 2014, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by markus_see
Does Australia have cabotage rule?
Wiki says

Australia and Chile allow passenger airlines owned by foreign entities to operate domestic flights
I never saw any posts anywhere about passenger being denied boarding due to cabotage down under.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by chocobill
Read through all of the thread and picked up pieces here and there, can anyone a few hints (PM) for C3-C1...kind of stumped here
If you know the principle behind the possible tricks you already know everything you need. If you don't know, no amount of hints will help you.
Old May 8, 2014, 4:25 am

Cabotage most definitely exists in Australia, this is why you can't book SYD-MEL standalone on UA.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by YYZC2
Not trying to be obtuse, but I can price and book *to* C6, even when going to the long way, always with love.

Returns show space but won't book. I admit I haven't tried booking r/t, only o/w.

Returns need to be single-carrier, I take it?
Originally Posted by scibuff
Yes, C1 to C6 works on reversed route for which C6 to C1 doesn't (even when individual segment do).

The single carrier return *used to* work just fine
Any chance of a hint on the C6 stuff via PM or otherwise?

I have working solutions for C2-C3, C3-C2,C1-C3 but haven't started looking at C4 or C6 yet.

In an attempt at connecting two thread topics together, is it possible to run into US cabotage problems connecting C6-C1? (e.g. what zone is American Samoa?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.