Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ICN delays due to catering issue

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: None anymore
Uh oh... August 29 in C for me, with my parents whom I paid too much money to upgrade them along with me, now I'm REALLY worried. ICN-FCO.

I'm guessing you can't ask them to switch to a new carrier because of the catering, right? Because technically they're still giving you food?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: TK Gold
Got this 50 USD voucher and seems futile - cos I won't be flying with OZ soon
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by tobiashenry
Got this 50 USD voucher and seems futile - cos I won't be flying with OZ soon
When did you fly?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: TK Gold
Originally Posted by warrenw
When did you fly?
Back in early July 3rd. from ICN/HKG. The crew were very apologetic
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:39 pm

I just completed four OZ flights in the past two weeks, two of which were ex-ICN, all in Y. With respect to Y meals, there's not really any issue in my mind with the new catering. The meals were very similar to what they had before. A few differences was previously the chicken breast meal had a cream-colored creamy sauce, whereas now it's pinkish. I tasted very similar to me though. The potatoes in the past that came with that meal were always awful in my opinion, totally dry at tasteless, and I never ate any of them. This time they were actually all right and not as dry and had some taste. The exception was the cake with the new catering. It was hard and extremely dry, and not very edible in my mind. Yeah, I could have eaten it, but being so dry I didn't really want to. One other thing I noticed was that on one of the ex-ICN flights at the very edges of the chicken breast it looked like it might have been ever so slightly burned, I'm guessing due to either improper heating time in the plane's cooking system, or perhaps due to some change in the packaging material and some changes need to be made to how the meals are heated. The second ex-ICN flight didn't have that issue.

They are now using plastic cutlery on all flights in Y, or at least the flights I took. I don't recall that in the past, other than I think there was one destination where they used it but I don't remember which. But the last time I flew to/from LAX, I recall the cutlery being metal. I'm not sure if this change is related to the catering changes at ICN or not.

All the side dishes to the entrees looked normal as per what they've had all along, and on the LAX flight they came by mid-flight with a snack as per normal, but I was sleeping and didn't take it, so don't know exactly what it was.

The flight ICN-LAX was delayed slightly, and they gave the reason as "catering issues". Same for LAX-ICN. Seems that possibly because everyone knows they're having catering problems, they figured they might as well just use that as an excuse for any delays. I didn't think anything of it until that same excuse was given departing LAX, where I've never heard that excuse used before.

In summary, for Y, at least on the flights I took LAX and South East Asia, there doesn't seem to be any reason to avoid OZ due to catering issues.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:17 pm

Mrs. Zippy flew with our youngest son on 6/30 from ICN to LAX on Asiana. For the record, here was the grub on the last day of LSG catering:

LSG Dinner Menu

LSG Snack Menu

LSG Dinner Menu

Starter.

Salad

Paella

Fruit plate.

Cheese plate.

Some kind of cake.

Soup.

Overcooked steak.

Dessert.

Jook/porridge breakfast.

Pasta with Alfredo sauce.

Last edited by zippy the pinhead; Nov 6, 2018 at 11:20 am Reason: Added menu shots
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
Thank you. Does anyone have pictures of the current business catering?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by LennartH
Also wondering - very curious. I wonder if it's also still all served on a single tray too.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
And I would be interested to see photos of the current F catering ex-ICN, if anyone has them.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:29 am
FB_

Programs: AP
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
And I would be interested to see photos of the current F catering ex-ICN, if anyone has them.
I'm flying F (LAX-ICN) Aug 3rd and F (ICN-LAX) Aug 20th. I'll definitely take pictures and try and post.

This is part of the following reward travel

YYZ-LAX (AC - Business)
LAX-ICN (OZ - First)
ICN-SIN (SQ - Business)
SIN-CGK (SQ - First)

DPS-SIN (SQ - Business)
SIN-ICN (SQ - Business)
ICN-LAX (OZ - First)
LAX-YYZ (AC - Business)
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
I would have loved to fly OZ but the uncertainty and especially the lack of any kind of communication from OZ regarding their catering problems made me jump on the NH award space that has opened up for my dates. It's a pity.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:19 pm

I would have loved to fly OZ but the uncertainty and especially the lack of any kind of communication from OZ regarding their catering problems made me jump on the NH award space that has opened up for my dates. It's a pity.
I don't blame you at all! Rumor is Gate Gourmet won't be available to OZ until September 30.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:15 am

OZ in C class - all longhoul flights ex ICN

The problems with catering at Asiana are still ongoing. On my yesterdays flight from ICN to Europe (August 2) I was told by the purser that ALL longhoul flights ex ICN will have the following menu:

Please note that all flights to Europe are very long day flights (more than 11 hours) and they really dare to serve brekafat as the second meal. Quality of the meals was poor, I skipped the "breakfast", prior to landing they served a packed chicken burrito. Drink list was "normal" with good choices. All flights departing from outstation will have the normal C-class menus and meals.

Well done Asiana

Last edited by mtresc; Aug 3, 2018 at 3:24 am
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by mtresc
That's the same thing they serve as the snack in Y on ICN-Southeast Asia flights...
royng likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold. VA Gold
ICN to LHR business 3 aug

had the exact same menu in business to Heathrow on Friday. I had the Korean meal which was just one tray. on a more positive note, the cabin crew said it was changing on August 7th, I thought she meant the catering company but she could have just been talking about the limited menu changing to another limited menu!

I can't believe they think that breakfast for the second meal on a flight that lands at 7 pm is acceptable. I didn't have the breakfast but ordered a Raman as a snack, which makes it a very expensive pot noodle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.