ICN delays due to catering issue

Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

ICN delays due to catering issue

Asiana delayed a number of flights on July 1st due to catering issue. Delayed by 3-5 hours for most longhaul flights for which second meal wasn't loaded for many of them. 12 short-haul flights left without meals - no exception for business class. From this date, Asiana changed catering company temporarily until the end of September and apparently it wasn't ready. This catering issue may not be over soon according to many articles in Korea. Not sure how meal quality will be affected once everything comes back to normal. So heads up.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Evidently the CEO was traveling to China on that day and that flight was the only one that wasn't delayed

At least the nut rage family knows how to run a tight ship, OZ is just a mess atm.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:54 am
Original Poster

On the second day, 20% of the flights left without meal, mostly short hauls. Delays were minimized and things have improved than the first day. With this pressure, one employee suicided. Very sad day for Asiana.

Originally Posted by corbomite
Evidently the CEO was traveling to China on that day and that flight was the only one that wasn't delayed

At least the nut rage family knows how to run a tight ship, OZ is just a mess atm.
Didn't know that. Yes, even after all that, KE is still a better airline than OZ.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
According to this ??? 1600? ?????···???? ??? '?? ??' : ??? ??

Asiana used to use Lufthansa's LSG Sky Chefs

Feb 2017 - Jan 2018: Asiana agreed to Gate Gourmet Korea (https://www.gategroup.com/en-gb/medi...iana-airlines/) in return for China's Hainan group agreeing to invest 1.6 billion KRW into Asiana's parent company

March 2018: Gate Gourmet Korea's factory burned to the ground due to an accident

March 2018: Asiana signs contract with a small catering company who has a capacity of 3,000 meals a day (vs Asiana's daily consumption of 25,000 meals a day)

June 30 2018: Asiana's contract with LSG Sky Chefs expires

Jimgotkp and slimjin like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:30 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
.... With this pressure, one employee suicided. Very sad day for Asiana.
Tell me you were joking! My condolences....
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by royng
Tell me you were joking! My condolences....
One of the owners of the subcontractors that Do&Co subcontract to committed suicide so the local peanut gallery is in an uproar
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: Pan Am Exec Plat
I’m on ICN-TAS (7 hour flight) and I was told no meals or food whatsoever on the plane. I was given a 15000 won airport voucher. Pretty sad way to handle what’s already a bad situation, I’m not really sure how much of a meal I can get for 15000krw at ICN. Certainly not enough to replace a 7 hour flight’s worth of catering. Also I guess this is three days now of limited meals bc the checkin agent told me this is affecting a lot of flights.

Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by lolairplanes
I’m on ICN-TAS (7 hour flight) and I was told no meals or food whatsoever on the plane. I was given a 15000 won airport voucher. Pretty sad way to handle what’s already a bad situation, I’m not really sure how much of a meal I can get for 15000krw at ICN. Certainly not enough to replace a 7 hour flight’s worth of catering. Also I guess this is three days now of limited meals bc the checkin agent told me this is affecting a lot of flights.

That's really poor service for a business passenger...I'm glad I'm not flying for a couple of months. I'd be upset if that's all they offered me in lieu of a meal onboard...

That being said, while it's been a long time since I've paid for a meal in ICN, I think W15,000 will get you a bibimbap, and maybe enough change for a drink too
royng and clubeurope like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:13 am
Original Poster

$15 compensation for a biz meal on a 7-hour flight makes no sense. At least OZ came honest and let passengers eat before the flight, though. At the first day, pax waited 3+ hours at the gate without know what was going, only to realize there was no meal after boarding. FA and pilots were told to buy something to eat at the airport. What a mess.

One article says the employees whose boss suicided were crying while busy making meals. It's really painful to imagine some people were in pain and sorrow preparing our meal.

Some blogs picked up the story with more details. Reading comments here and at that blog, I seriously hope OZ didn't compromise safety for money/investments.
https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....a-meal-crisis/
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Asiana delayed a number of flights on July 1st due to catering issue. Delayed by 3-5 hours for most longhaul flights for which second meal wasn't loaded for many of them. 12 short-haul flights left without meals - no exception for business class. From this date, Asiana changed catering company temporarily until the end of September and apparently it wasn't ready. This catering issue may not be over soon according to many articles in Korea. Not sure how meal quality will be affected once everything comes back to normal. So heads up.
Are flights originating from the US impacted? I have a first class flight out of JFK coming up next week, and it would suck if I didn't get any food!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: TK Gold
I was on ICN/HKG. The crew apologised that there's no meals onboard and gave us a 50 USD voucher
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:44 pm

Curious what else they are cutting corners on... Seems like they should have left well enough alone, as the existing catering was fine. I read the Korean language press and it seems like the parent company is in a lot of financial difficulty. I fly OZ to ICN often but might need to look at other Star Alliance options.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:03 pm

Hope this gets sorted soon....I was going to book a trip on OZ in December but if they can't figure out how to run an airline, I might have to fly United (cringe).
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Wow - according to another news article, Asiana forced GA/FA not to announce the meal situation at the first day when passengers could go eat on their own instead of boarding after 3+ hours of waiting only to realize there's no meal. Some GA felt guilty looking at seniors kids babies in hunger at gate who couldn't go eat something to not miss the flight.

Originally Posted by noobiewildcat
Are flights originating from the US impacted? I have a first class flight out of JFK coming up next week, and it would suck if I didn't get any food!
Foreign departures are all fine. You won't be hungry.

Originally Posted by tobiashenry
I was on ICN/HKG. The crew apologised that there's no meals onboard and gave us a 50 USD voucher
.. for pre-departure airport meals or future OZ flight or duty free? Just curious. Flight, on the other hand, must have been quite enough for an intensive nap.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Yongjun94
Curious what else they are cutting corners on... [...] I read the Korean language press and it seems like the parent company is in a lot of financial difficulty.[...]
I'm not an accountant, but it would appear their balance sheet has been improving in recent years?

Two family members were on OZ 204 (ICN --> LAX) on 6/30, so thankfully we dodged this problem. I was told the grub was pretty good on 6/30.

Typically the public has a short memory, so I wonder how much damage their business will sustain as a result.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.