Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana removing majority of F class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana removing majority of F class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
This is hardly news to us here, but I saw this article about cost cutting at Asiana in the paper today:

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/...home|newslist1

Seems OZ is running through another major round of cost cutting and blaming the MERS outbreak last summer this time. Seems awefully like they're cutting away at the substance to save costs when they should be thinking about revenue and how to stay competitive. Also seems like they're really good at blaming temporary phenomena for structural issues... And Kumho is doing poorly as ever. The article mentioned an LBO for them to re-acquire their former holding company now that it's out of the Korean equivalent to Chapter 11, but the amount of debt doesn't sound good.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Blame it on MERS. Good job management, you really figured out the source of the problem!

What concerns me is the part about making the flight crew operation more "efficient". I will assume that means they will reduce the number of cabin crew members per flight.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
My question is IF Asiana cuts F class, do they even have the capacity to fill up the cabin w/ or w/o F?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
Asiana differentiates their product pretty strongly between business and leisure routes (SYD is a classic example of this; deemed a 'leisure' route, it has angled J and non-AVOD most of the time). F is generally only offered on business routes (happy to be corrected on this).

Being glass half-full, I'd say Asiana can fill their (presumably expanded J) long-haul cabins with premium traffic. My impression is that their long-haul business routes (US mainly) are pretty full at the pointy end with people (or their employers) stumping up the won for a ticket. At least ex-Korea, don't think they'd have any problems filling the cabin.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
I don't think Asiana ever had 20 planes with F class seats. If you look at their fleet, it just doesn't add up. If you take out F from the 747s and the 777s, that only adds up to 6 or 7 planes maybe. What is a real shame is that the newest 777s with First Suite is going to get pulled out. There is a 777 with the old style F seats. I am guessing this plane will be retired.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire RA
I am glad to see that the suite will remain on the JFK route and it will make me appreciate and enjoy my upcoming flight more as it may be my last OZ suite flight.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:18 am

I have just booked my first ever first class trip, with one of the flight being OZ542 on feb 02 2017 from FRA-ICN.

The agent at Star Alliance didn't mention anything about the first class being removed and in my itenerary it is stated as O First Class with 747-400. Does anybody know what is the case in this matter? I do not want to have a mail from Asiana 2 weeks before depaeture telling me I have been moved to business class.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by Johnhell
I have just booked my first ever first class trip, with one of the flight being OZ542 on feb 02 2017 from FRA-ICN.

The agent at Star Alliance didn't mention anything about the first class being removed and in my itenerary it is stated as O First Class with 747-400. Does anybody know what is the case in this matter? I do not want to have a mail from Asiana 2 weeks before depaeture telling me I have been moved to business class.

Any help would be much appreciated!
I haven't heard any specifics about how Asiana wants to go about removing the majority of F class, but the best bet so far is that they won't remove it from the 744s. Those planes are old and will most likely be converted to cargo planes, so it would make little sense redoing the interior so close to the end of its service life.

In short, I would be relatively optimistic that you'll still get to fly first class even though there are no guarantees.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Last I heard FRA and LAX are keeping F and other destinations will have it cut.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Last I heard FRA and LAX are keeping F and other destinations will have it cut.
I highly doubt they'll get rid of F in the JFK route as it's one of their flagship routes.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:13 pm

JFK will probably still have first as long as it gets the A380. I don't really see OZ putting 600 seats a la EK on the A380.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by stupidhead
JFK will probably still have first as long as it gets the A380. I don't really see OZ putting 600 seats a la EK on the A380.
Exactly! The A380 clearly was bought just to compete with Korean Air.

If OZ is having trouble filling up the A380, why would they remove F to add more seats?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Exactly! The A380 clearly was bought just to compete with Korean Air.

If OZ is having trouble filling up the A380, why would they remove F to add more seats?
Lol yeah. As if they needed another 100 seats that will go out empty...

That said though, I totally think they should put Smartium and the latest Y in their 747 (pax and combi) in a high density configuration and fly them until the wings fall off. They're not in any position to retire anything, given their fleet situation now.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by stupidhead
Lol yeah. As if they needed another 100 seats that will go out empty...

That said though, I totally think they should put Smartium and the latest Y in their 747 (pax and combi) in a high density configuration and fly them until the wings fall off. They're not in any position to retire anything, given their fleet situation now.
Not sure how it would work but would it make any sense OZ converts these A380s into Combi's?

OZ can rid of either the front or the back by shifting all J upstairs, all Y downstairs (removing F).
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Not sure how it would work but would it make any sense OZ converts these A380s into Combi's?

OZ can rid of either the front or the back by shifting all J upstairs, all Y downstairs (removing F).
I was talking about the existing 747's, not the A380s....

I'm thinking the nose+upstairs would be business, some Y+ and the rest Y or just J/Y. That should put them at something like 380~400 for the pax and 300~330 for the combi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.