Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 to JFK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Acccctually with some flexibility on the date that week I've given up the OZ F for NH F to TG F and carrying on to PER in the 787 J. All with much less worrying connection times.
A net gain I think!
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:57 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Are there any special "tricks" to finding first class award space on this route? I've heard that OZ is good about award space and I do see lots of business class space searching on the UA, AC and NH engines, but I am not finding any first class space (or at least not space for 2 pax) on any of them. Any tips? Is OZ more likely to release awards when the schedule opens, or closer to departure, or both?

Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
No tricks. OZ isn't known to release addt'l seats closer to the departure date. Best to book the flights very far out or keep an eye on your travel dates.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
No tricks. OZ isn't known to release addt'l seats closer to the departure date.
Yes they most certainly do release unsold F seats closer to departure.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:18 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess doing a bit more searching it looks like they do release one first class seat on the A380 routes to the US fairly regularly, but I'm not seeing any advance-booking flights with two seats available.

I'm looking to book a trip in F from SE Asia to NY, so I might just book ANA, which seems to be pretty readily available, and then monitor Asiana availability closer to departure and switch if it appears -- Asiana A380 F definitely seems to be better suited for a couple traveling together than ANA 777 F is.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Where in S.E. A? A few weeks ago I had schedule changes.

I was on OZ F JFK-ICN OZ J ICN-BKK TG J BKK-PER but the sched change cut it way too close for the ICN cnx so I got NH F JFK-NRT TG F NRT-BKK TG J BKK-PER which gets me two F rides and less worry of a missing a connection.

If you can get NH F booked now do it, better to fly in F with less interaction with your +1 than being in J and hip to hip.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:44 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Where in S.E. A? A few weeks ago I had schedule changes.

I was on OZ F JFK-ICN OZ J ICN-BKK TG J BKK-PER but the sched change cut it way too close for the ICN cnx so I got NH F JFK-NRT TG F NRT-BKK TG J BKK-PER which gets me two F rides and less worry of a missing a connection.

If you can get NH F booked now do it, better to fly in F with less interaction with your +1 than being in J and hip to hip.
Thanks. Trip will involve several stops and intra-Asia flights haven't been finalized yet so there is a bit of flexibility, but most likely coming from SIN or BKK. Planning to use SQ miles (most likely) so trying for SIN-FRA-JFK is also an option but that route seems to be particularly hard to find award space on, especially on certain desirable days of week (and I'm already planning to take that flight on the outbound from NY).

One other advantage to going via NRT is that, when using SQ miles, one can fly F on SQ connecting to NH, while trying to go all on NH or via ICN means the intra-Asia segment has to be in business. So, pros and cons of either option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.