A380 to JFK

Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
A380 to JFK

The OZ instagram posted a photo saying "coming soon" and the lyrics to a song.
Tried looking here but anyone have a start date? Will it be an added flight or replace the 772? Planning another trip to S.E.A. again at the end of the year and would love to do it through ICN again on that.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
The OZ instagram posted a photo saying "coming soon" and the lyrics to a song.
Tried looking here but anyone have a start date? Will it be an added flight or replace the 772? Planning another trip to S.E.A. again at the end of the year and would love to do it through ICN again on that.
Thanks for mentioning this, JVPhoto. I'm flying OZ 221 in F from JFK-ICN in mid-July and while my United reservation still shows the equipment as a 777, the flight departure time has moved back to 1:25 p.m. (vice the original 1:00 p.m. departure). EF is showing my flight operated by a A388. ^

Edited to add: According to EF, it appears the A388 begins flying the JFK-ICN route on July 14, 2015.

Last edited by Robert; Jan 29, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Score! Will be cool to fly that out later on in the year. The 772 was great when I flew it, only 2 pax in F. Sure this will be just as great.

This was the photo and post on their Instagram today.

The #ASIANA380 is taking a bite of The Big Apple soon! ���� �� "New York~~ concrete jungle where dreams are made of~~" #New York #NYC #JFK #Asiana #A380 #airbus #ComingSoon
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Award space is WIDE open. Just snagged 2 JFK - ICN around Christmas time
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Award space is WIDE open. Just snagged 2 JFK - ICN around Christmas time
Yes sir I was thinking about doing that too. However the only option to get from BKK there is showing a 50 min connection. Last time the schedule gave me about 1:50 I think.
Worth risking?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes sir I was thinking about doing that too. However the only option to get from BKK there is showing a 50 min connection. Last time the schedule gave me about 1:50 I think.
Worth risking?
Is that the OZ or TG connection? On OZ I might risk it, not TG, where you have to take the train to the concourse.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Is that the OZ or TG connection? On OZ I might risk it, not TG, where you have to take the train to the concourse.
OZ to OZ. Not sure if for an incoming F pax they would have an agent or someone at the gate to rush you along like I've seen UA NRT or SA JNB.

This trip I'll be going back to Thailand for about 6 weeks so if it ends up as an overnight in ICN not the biggest issue.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
OZ to OZ. Not sure if for an incoming F pax they would have an agent or someone at the gate to rush you along like I've seen UA NRT or SA JNB.

This trip I'll be going back to Thailand for about 6 weeks so if it ends up as an overnight in ICN not the biggest issue.
I'd do it then. Good chance space opens on that later TG flight, which has less uncomfortable seats in any event. Or that OZ moves you to it if you miss.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd do it then. Good chance space opens on that later TG flight, which has less uncomfortable seats in any event. Or that OZ moves you to it if you miss.
Agreed. OZ is usually pretty good about F space so I don't think you have to jump on it this second but better safe than sorry.

I'm jumping on it given my need for 2 seats - which I've found are few and far between on OZ. I'm just debating whether to accept TG J right now down to SYD - OZ J isn't available for the direct flight and TG F doesn't have F even for just 1 seat.

Granted this timing is for NYE (leave JFK on 12/27 or 12/28 connecting down to SYD by 12/30 or 12/31). I'm debating also just nixing being down there for NYE (since I can't get into the PH and the SPG properties have 3 night minimums) and just hopping down after New Year's
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:30 pm

Does anyone have any idea where the 777 that is currently used on the JFK route will be heading to once the A380 starts flying?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by agjil
Does anyone have any idea where the 777 that is currently used on the JFK route will be heading to once the A380 starts flying?
Maybe ORD or SEA? Or could go to Europe.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
You mean the 777s. Takes two to fly that route.

Looks like 380 #3 started test flights in December 2014 and #4 rolled out Jan. 21, but has not yet flown. A380 Production List
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Great news! This year, I am tired of doing the JFK / ICN route but a A380 would be much better indeed .
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe ORD or SEA? Or could go to Europe.
I would bet either:

FRA or LHR if going to Europe (FRA because *A and LHR because LHR)

or

SFO or ORD if going to the US (both because *A / UA hubs).

Presumably they already have a sense of what the F traffic is like on ORD - ICN from the brief time the 777 spent on that route and they should have a sense for FRA since it's currently being served by a 744 with F on it.

If they go FRA they're competing against LH and the 748 but they're also replacing a 744 of their own. If they go LHR they're competing against BA / KE but no *A member. If they go ORD same deal - they're just going against KE. If they go SFO they're competing against SQ, UA, and KE.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Does that 777 have QS? Because the 744 currently serving FRA does not, so that would be another argument in favor of FRA if it does have QS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.