Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may edit this Wikipost.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO (reg no HL-7742), a 2006 Boeing 777-200ER with P&W PW4090 engines; flew ICN - KIX - ICN immediately prior (not as OZ 214). 291 passengers and 16 crew on board. 3 people dead, 48 seriously injured, 132 less so.

Aircraft landed short on approach (VFR weather, ILS out of service, PAPI working) impacting the seawall delimiting runway 28L with main landing gear and then the tail 11:28 PDT, careering down the runway to a stop and ensuing fire. The empennage and both engines separated from the fuselage, and fire from an oil drip in engine no. 2 burnt a significant part of the upper forward fuselage.

Runway 28L / 10R was closed until 1700 PDT 12 July; all SFO runways are open.

Here is a Link to the Flightaware track. (6 Jul 2013).

Link to original BBC article; Link to BBC photo show

Update: 08 July 2013
Summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 09 July 2013
SF Gate summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 10 July 2013
NBC video and summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 11 July 2013
San Jose Mercury summary of final NTSB press conference

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the sensitive nature of an aircraft crash, Senior Moderators ask that posts be made keeping the surviving passengers, crewmembers and their families in mind. Posts that do not comply with TOS (off-topic and dilatory posts, OMNI, conspiracies, inflammatory, etc.) will be summarily deleted.
Print Wikipost

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:30 pm

Wow - the actual plane was in much better state than I'd have imagined based on that.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
The eyewhitness observations seem to have been quite accurate.
I hope the footage helps to clear up the cause.

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Nobody was taking off to the south. Flight 214 was landing from the south to the north, and the plan (had it not crashed) was that the UA 747 would take off in the same direction - to the north.

The typical prevailing winds at SFO are from the north, and that's why most of my landings and takeoffs at SFO for many, many years are from the south to the north on runways 28 Left or Right.
As the name indicates, runway 28 is not going north or south but east to west (27 would be precisely east to west)
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Herb687
We really need some geography lessons here. Runway 28 is not to the north, it's to the west.
It's oriented at 297 degrees. Where, of course, 270 is due west and 360 is due north. So it's fair to describe it as northwest.

As the name indicates, runway 28 is not going north or south but east to west (27 would be precisely east to west)
No. A runway numbered 27 would be very close to magnetic west (at the time the runway was built). But the magnetic declination is significant.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Nobody was taking off to the south. Flight 214 was landing from the south to the north, and the plan (had it not crashed) was that the UA 747 would take off in the same direction - to the north.

The typical prevailing winds at SFO are from the north, and that's why most of my landings and takeoffs at SFO for many, many years are from the south to the north on runways 28 Left or Right.
Runways are numbered by the points on the compass. 28/10L and 28/10R are more east/west oriented.

19/1's are more north/south.

http://flightaware.com/resources/air...RT+DIAGRAM/pdf
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Wow. I can see where the cartwheel comments came from.
Agreed, the comments do make some sense now.

As an aside, why don't all airports video record every take-off/landing? (Or do they?)
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by imgonnafly
Wow, it gives that similar feeling when you see the WTC tower videos.

The other intereting note is he clearly says wow, the nose is kind of high. He can tell something is wrong.
That's immediately what I thought as well. In my head I was imagining it skidding on its belly and spinning that way, I had no idea it went so vertical in its spin. I'm surprised no one on board has described it that way - though I don't know how well I could describe something like that if it had happened to me. I can't imagine being this videographer and seeing that in real life.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow....now it makes sense why there are so many injuries but also makes the whole thing more miraculous that a lot of people survived.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
I was just thinking the same thing. That was far more violent than I had thought. How awful!
Absolute miracle that so many people survived. Not only that, but so many people walked out intact without any apparent serious injury.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by PTravel
I was just thinking the same thing. That was far more violent than I had thought. How awful!
The number of survivors and uninjured even more amazing to me now.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Wow, thats crazy...
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Already posted in the master thread:
Breaking News Asiana Airline 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
WOW - it's really amazing there were not more significant casualties.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:38 pm

What would happen to a 787 in an accident like this, given that it's made of "carbon fiber" and not aluminum?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
That video reinforces earlier comments regarding the structural soundness of the 777's fuselage. For a crash of such severity to only cause two fatalities and a handful of critical injuries is truly remarkable. Bravo, Boeing and partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.