Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may edit this Wikipost.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO (reg no HL-7742), a 2006 Boeing 777-200ER with P&W PW4090 engines; flew ICN - KIX - ICN immediately prior (not as OZ 214). 291 passengers and 16 crew on board. 3 people dead, 48 seriously injured, 132 less so.

Aircraft landed short on approach (VFR weather, ILS out of service, PAPI working) impacting the seawall delimiting runway 28L with main landing gear and then the tail 11:28 PDT, careering down the runway to a stop and ensuing fire. The empennage and both engines separated from the fuselage, and fire from an oil drip in engine no. 2 burnt a significant part of the upper forward fuselage.

Runway 28L / 10R was closed until 1700 PDT 12 July; all SFO runways are open.

Here is a Link to the Flightaware track. (6 Jul 2013).

Link to original BBC article; Link to BBC photo show

Update: 08 July 2013
Summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 09 July 2013
SF Gate summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 10 July 2013
NBC video and summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 11 July 2013
San Jose Mercury summary of final NTSB press conference

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the sensitive nature of an aircraft crash, Senior Moderators ask that posts be made keeping the surviving passengers, crewmembers and their families in mind. Posts that do not comply with TOS (off-topic and dilatory posts, OMNI, conspiracies, inflammatory, etc.) will be summarily deleted.
Print Wikipost

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Firstly, the only reason you will ever hear as a passenger for a go-around is spacing. "Saving face" isn't something exclusive to Asians...
Not true. On an AF flight NCE-ORY, we had to go around and the pilot came on and apologized, saying that he has misjudged the approach and that necessitated the go around. I was shocked by his candor.

A few months ago on an AV flight CTG-BOG we had not one but TWO go around on the same flight. There was no announcement, but after we landed, I asked one of the FA's what had happened and she told me that both times, as we were on final ATC had vectored traffic on to our intended runway thus requiring us to go around.

Sometimes they'll be honest with you.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by roadkit
As a pilot with several thousand hours of flight time and extensive training in aviation safety/accident investigation,

[...]

Pilots are responsible for safely operating their aircraft given the existing meteorological conditions. Even if the crash is deemed "WX-related" it is still pilot error.
And so you also must be familiar with the old saying, "It's always, ultimately, pilot error..." Which is also the ironic way of stating that, even if it's the last possible cause standing when all else is ruled out, and so this becomes the only reason given, it may not be.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Well, you can speculate that all sorts of things happened, but it isn't probable that two teenaged girls would die of natural causes at roughly the same time, in the same place, and generally those about to die from traumatic injuries aren't capable of exiting an aircraft.

Perhaps at some point in time we will learn where they were seated in relation to the damage to the fuselage.
Indeed. Seated in rear, one was explicitly found near the tail remains. Not a lot of possibilities unfortunately.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ns-4650990.php
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 76Patriots
Thanks for the info. The comment on "saving face isn't exclusive to asians" flew way over my head (I don't get the 'asians' intention). However, I think the gist of it, in general, is pilots won't 'go around' unless absolutely forced. They see it as losing face, is that correct?
Right - if the captain is unable to land perfectly, it's considered a loss of face.

At many Asian airlines, go arounds are rare because captains don't want to go around and first officers can't speak up to their superior due to culture. It is very bad for safety indeed.
Originally Posted by 76Patriots
I guess what I was getting at in the original post is, with things seemingly out of the norm on the flight path(assuming the pilot knew things were out of the norm, assuming it is out of the norm enough to be of concern), is it very much the standard for a pilot to just make it work and get the plane on the ground? Or do guidelines direct a pilot to air on the side of caution and go around? Obviously I am using a hypothetical so take it for what it's worth. I'm also working under the assumption that being 'out of the norm' on a flight path means you have less room for error.
There is immense cultural pressure to "make it work"

Pilots are encouraged to go around, but it doesn't always happen.

Sent from my iPhone
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Well, you can speculate that all sorts of things happened, but it isn't probable that two teenaged girls would die of natural causes at roughly the same time, in the same place, and generally those about to die from traumatic injuries aren't capable of exiting an aircraft.
+1

Just because the NTSB will look at all possible circumstances causing and related to the crash doesn't mean that it won't focus on the most likely circumstances.

For those condemning posters here for highlighting the likelihood of pilot error, perhaps a refresher on Occam's Razor is appropriate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

Greg
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Unfortunately there is no speculation according to the coroner. One was found near the tail remains on the runway. The other 30 feet west of the main wreckage. What's unclear is whether they were seated right next to each other, or whether other injured people were ejected from that rear part as well.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ns-4650990.php
I wonder if they were wearing seatbelts.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by Firewind
And so you also must be familiar with the old saying, "It's always, ultimately, pilot error..." Which is also the ironic way of stating that, even if it's the last possible cause standing when all else is ruled out, and so this becomes the only reason given, it may not be.
In cases with no survivors, that can unfortunately be the case. Not so here. We have all the data recorders, pilots and crew available, etc. This is not "Fate is the Hunter" -- if the pilots screwed up, the NTSB will find out. My only point is that in cases such as these, with the circumstances of the crash being what they are, pilot error is the most likely cause.

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 7, 2013 at 10:13 am Reason: redacted deleted post content and reply
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:26 am

It wasn't corrected when I saw it ... so quit pontificating

Sounds like he was busted and is now trying to pass it off as a mistake. If it was a mistake, he would've owned up the first time instead of making a flippant remark. Perhaps he changed his mind after all the negative publicity!

The Best Western in South San Francisco is listed at $140 to $150 a night over the next month. But after the crash, it was advertised as $999. It’s now sold out. The Unit asked the manager about the increase. He said, "Sometimes the price goes up," and he was not interested in commenting further.

UPDATE 7/7/13: David Huddleston, the Operations Manager at Best Western in South San Francisco, says he set the rate of $999/night online by mistake. Huddleston claims the employee who told NBC Bay Area on the phone the rate was $999, was also wrong. Huddleston says the problem has been corrected and claims no one was charged that elevated price. The hotel advertises rooms for $309/night on Monday, July 8th, which Huddleston confirms is correct. That same room is listed at $149 other nights in July.
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Old news. Its since been corrected, and attributed to a "mistake".
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigat...214512671.html

There are 1000 hotels in the SFO area. One high priced hotel does not make price gouging.

Last edited by malgudi; Jul 7, 2013 at 9:35 am
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I wonder if they were wearing seatbelts.
I've said that also, and continue thinking about that. Everytime I fly and see children not wearing their seatbelts I think how it's going to turn tragic in the event of a serious, but not normally deadly crash landing. Based on the number of times I observe passengers not belted on OZ and other Asian flights, I can almost guarantee that there were at least several on this flight not buckled in. If true, it's horrible to even think of them being thrown out of the aircraft as it was impacting and/or spinning. If it's an adult just ignoring the safety instructions (provided they understand them), I don't have much sympathy. But for children, especially those who are under adult supervision, but who the adults don't monitor correctly, I think it's the adults to blame. In this specific case, it sounds like there was a large group of school children, so I doubt there was an adult in clear view of each child to check on each of them. But whoever was in charge should had been very stern with them about buckling up.

Hopefully some useful data will come out of this tragedy and the safety video/checks/process can be improved to strengthen what I consider to be the weakest link among Asian airlines. Also some heavy media exposure of how serious not wearing your seatbelts might do some good.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta, United
I was not speculating just noting that in addition to being ejected from the plane there maybe a plausible explanation for the location of the two girls who sadly died.

Next, reread my original comment and do not take it out of context:

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
They could have walked away from the plane and then passed away from trauma or from natural causes related to the crash (i.e. heart attack). Though given their ages of 16 I doubt a heart attack.
Again plausible.

Further there a phenomena called "talk and die" - people seem fine walk away from a crash and die. Sometimes minutes later, sometime hours later, sometimes days later. Look up Natasha Richardson for a well publicized case regarding brain injuries. Again plausible.

Or look at seat belt injuries and internal bleeding. Again plausible.

Any good investigation will go through all plausible explanations and not be blinded.

BTW I know first hand that such can happen as I hauled out my climbing partner out of crevasse after being swept into it and being partially buried due to an avalanche. After getting him out, he walked to a safe area where he collapsed and was pretty much non-ambulatory. He did not die, but he was working on adrenaline and had some pretty serious trauma.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jul 7, 2013 at 9:53 am
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I was not speculating just noting that in addition to being ejected from the plane there maybe a plausible explanation for the location of the two girls who sadly died.

Next, reread my original comment and do not take it out of context:

Again plausible.

Further there a phenomena called "talk and die" - people seem fine walk away from a crash and die. Sometimes minutes later, sometime hours later, sometimes days later. Look up Natasha Richardson for a well publicized case regarding brain injuries. Again plausible.

Or look at seat belt injuries and internal bleeding. Again plausible.

Any good investigation will go through all plausible explanations and not be blinded.
I think it's pretty clear that the one girl found near the tail wreckage, far from where the fuselage came to rest, was ejected. As for the one found 30 feet from the resting fuselage, we simply have not got enough information to know - but ejection seems much less likely in her case.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I submit that, regardless of the credentialed persons here using the words "assume" and "assumption" explicitly, it's still possible at this moment that what the person flying the plane did was salutory in the face of a dire condition. It's also possible that s/he did the opposite, as with the person flying the commuter into Buffalo that night, who pulled instead of pushing, or the other way around. At.this.moment.

And as to speculation, you'd better believe that that's what NTSB and anyone with a piece of responsibility in this is doing. About everything. And we should hope that they are. (Apparently, that's what the best of the best with all the responsibility are still doing w/r/t the 787 battery problem.) And so why shouldn't we?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by mitchmu
I don't see any relevance. One crash yesterday will not cause another crash today.

Surely, airline executives know this.
Right, and I understand that the airline would like to continue business to the best of their ability. However with SFO being a turn station, the ground staff in SFO may not be fit to service additional flights. They would have been burnt out from yesterdays activities as well as the ongoing activities in regards to the incident.

I have also heard that in the past (previous accidents) the crew could call out because they are emotionally unfit to work the flight.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
But it HAS happened, well almost. Two crashes by the same airline, with the same type on the same route in almost identical fashion two days apart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_Ai...DC-4_accidents
You have to go all the way to Saigon, in 1950, to find evidence refuting my assertion that yesterday's crash will not cause a crash today? How many flights have not crashed between 1950 and 2013?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by greg99
+1

Just because the NTSB will look at all possible circumstances causing and related to the crash doesn't mean that it won't focus on the most likely circumstances.

For those condemning posters here for highlighting the likelihood of pilot error, perhaps a refresher on Occam's Razor is appropriate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor
"It states that among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected. In other words, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one."

Seems to me: Pilot landed short, crashed the plane into seawall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.