Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

New F Suites Route UPDATE: only ORD-ICN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New F Suites Route UPDATE: only ORD-ICN

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Just as an update...

I had a schedule change on my BWI-ORD flight to connect to ORD-ICN on OZ that left me with a 48 min connection time. I never accepted the change and forgot about it for like 2 weeks, but then saw it in my email and decided to check and see if any JFK-ICN OZ221 F space had opened up for my date. Sure enough, 2 seats were available, but the flight I would need to connect to JFK, IAD-JFK had no saver award availability and the Premier agent at United said there was nothing she could do and I'd have to wait and see if something opened up. My other option was to switch to a 6AM BWI-ORD flight to connect to my noon ORD-ICN flight which would leave me with a 5 hour layover.

I figured it was a risk to wait for IAD-JFK space to open up since the JFK-ICN F space could disappear, so I started looking for other ideas. Tried doing southwest or avios on AA awards, but nothing would work. Then, after I thought exhausted all my options, I looked at connecting through LGA to JFK, and found plenty of availability from PHL and DCA (which are both 1-1.5 hr drive away). I called back and was able to book a PHL-LGA flight with a 4 hour layover to connect to JFK, and then the JFK-ICN in OZ F Suites. It's a little more travel than I'd want for 2 days after our wedding, but at least we're back in the suites and don't have to worry about a very short connection. Also no $50/ticket change fee because of the short connection.

So for people looking to get on that JFK-ICN flight, don't forget about connecting through LGA since it's coterminal with JFK (from my research people said 3-4 hours was more than enough to connect since they're 8 miles or 30 min from eachother).
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Majikow
So for people looking to get on that JFK-ICN flight, don't forget about connecting through LGA since it's coterminal with JFK (from my research people said 3-4 hours was more than enough to connect since they're 8 miles or 30 min from eachother).
That's not too bad, I'm connecting through EWR to get the suites.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:38 am

I agree it's frustrating. I, too, was on the original DFW-ORD-ICN, but now I am taking DFW-IAD-JFK and have an overnight just to "connect" to the JFK-ICN flight. I think it's still worth that significant hassle.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:36 am

an overnight connection for the new F?
Hmm I personally think this is spending too much time to get from the US to Korea, although I'm sure the new F suites will be nice.
If I were you, I'd keep the ORD flight, even if it means a downgrade, so I don't have to spend an extra day to get to Korea.
However, this is all personal preference, and I just prefer enjoying my time at my destination over having a nice flight.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by agjil
an overnight connection for the new F?
Hmm I personally think this is spending too much time to get from the US to Korea, although I'm sure the new F suites will be nice.
If I were you, I'd keep the ORD flight, even if it means a downgrade, so I don't have to spend an extra day to get to Korea.
However, this is all personal preference, and I just prefer enjoying my time at my destination over having a nice flight.
in general I totally agree... I'd rather get to my destination as quickly as possible!

but for those that have chosen a re-route to take the OZ suites... they are probably the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in... possibly even more comfortable than the SQ suites I managed a solid 9.5 hours sleep... which is a record for me even on land!!

the only major downside is the volume control... I had all available dials set to 'max' and it was still hard to hear (there are a couple of places you can adjust the volume... maybe it will be fixed with the new plane)
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by TrAAveller
I agree it's frustrating. I, too, was on the original DFW-ORD-ICN, but now I am taking DFW-IAD-JFK and have an overnight just to "connect" to the JFK-ICN flight. I think it's still worth that significant hassle.
I did DFW-ORD-ICN last year just to try the new F suite, but I didn't find it too special over the old F.
At least for me, it certainly wasn't worth the extra connection or time.
I'll just connect thru LAX or will fly direct on KE or AA from DFW.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

the only major downside is the volume control... I had all available dials set to 'max' and it was still hard to hear (there are a couple of places you can adjust the volume... maybe it will be fixed with the new plane)
I hear you... pun intended. But seriously, I've had this issue also. I think there are two factors involved. 1) The hearing loss I may have. 2) Background noise inside a jet.

I can't fix any hearing loss I may have but the background noise, I have used Bose noise cancelling headphones and they work great. I have also used a pair of Etymotics Noise isolating ear plugs as well. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but I usually bring both of them on the flight.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nme7
I hear you... pun intended. But seriously, I've had this issue also. I think there are two factors involved. 1) The hearing loss I may have. 2) Background noise inside a jet.

I can't fix any hearing loss I may have but the background noise, I have used Bose noise cancelling headphones and they work great. I have also used a pair of Etymotics Noise isolating ear plugs as well. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but I usually bring both of them on the flight.
well yes... but I'm not quite there yet for hearing loss! (but old enough to have selective hearing loss as required )

the problem with volume is a known one on the OZ suites plane... I watched Sky Fall literally in the edge of my seat... in the vain hope that somehow being closer to the screen would increase the volume!! (cabin crew are also aware, so hopefully it will be fixed in the new aircraft, and yes this was even with noise canceling headphones)
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
but for those that have chosen a re-route to take the OZ suites... they are probably the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in... possibly even more comfortable than the SQ suites I managed a solid 9.5 hours sleep... which is a record for me even on land!!
Have you tried LH new F on the 744 ? If not I suggest you try it and see how you feel.

I don't think there is any airline F seat comparable to the LH new F on 744.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Have you tried LH new F on the 744 ? If not I suggest you try it and see how you feel.

I don't think there is any airline F seat comparable to the LH new F on 744.
no! and I'm looking forward to trying them! just have to find time to squeeze a trip in to Europe!!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:23 pm

Is there anywhere to check this definitively?

Grr... I have an ICN-ORD flight in the F on new OZ suites at the beginning of September but I guess this isn't the case anymore. UA still shows First (A class). ICN-JFK not showing availability but my next move is to call UA to have them call Asiana on my behalf for switch.

This is a disappointment.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by milesunited
Is there anywhere to check this definitively?

Grr... I have an ICN-ORD flight in the F on new OZ suites at the beginning of September but I guess this isn't the case anymore. UA still shows First (A class). ICN-JFK not showing availability but my next move is to call UA to have them call Asiana on my behalf for switch.

This is a disappointment.
Not sure why it seems this is new to you.

Did you read this entire thread ? The news of the switch had been posted some 3 months ago at post #43,44, and the 3 class 777 with suites in F (HL8254) had already moved to ICN-JFK since a few days ago.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:29 am

It's news to me because I just read this thread.

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Not sure why it seems this is new to you.

Did you read this entire thread ? The news of the switch had been posted some 3 months ago at post #43,44, and the 3 class 777 with suites in F (HL8254) had already moved to ICN-JFK since a few days ago.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I flew the ORD-ICN route (OZ 235) last week on the 24th after they had swapped out the aircraft. I had originally booked in F suites back in 2012, and I was tracking this thread so I knew that we wouldn't get the suites, but still wasn't sure exactly what we would get instead.

When I first checked in at the ticket counter, they tried to explain something about how some aircraft have business and some business "premier", and that my flight was "premier". This meant we were in the old first class seats but with "business" service. She could not explain the difference between levels of service.

On the plane, we were indeed in true first class, just not the suites. Fully lie flat seats - it was quite nice, if slightly worn. I have never flown OZ first before, so I don't have anything to compare, but there was no over-the-top service, and no fancy champagne or caviar. We did enjoy the food though, particularly the bi-bim-bap and ramen snack. Another difference was we received an amenity kit, but no pajamas.

All in all, still a very enjoyable experience, so if you had originally booked in F suites and are now in the older F, I would not stress too much about finding your way onto the JFK-ICN flight.

Hope that helps clarify a bit.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ejbert
I flew the ORD-ICN route (OZ 235) last week on the 24th after they had swapped out the aircraft. I had originally booked in F suites back in 2012, and I was tracking this thread so I knew that we wouldn't get the suites, but still wasn't sure exactly what we would get instead.

When I first checked in at the ticket counter, they tried to explain something about how some aircraft have business and some business "premier", and that my flight was "premier". This meant we were in the old first class seats but with "business" service. She could not explain the difference between levels of service.

On the plane, we were indeed in true first class, just not the suites. Fully lie flat seats - it was quite nice, if slightly worn. I have never flown OZ first before, so I don't have anything to compare, but there was no over-the-top service, and no fancy champagne or caviar. We did enjoy the food though, particularly the bi-bim-bap and ramen snack. Another difference was we received an amenity kit, but no pajamas.

All in all, still a very enjoyable experience, so if you had originally booked in F suites and are now in the older F, I would not stress too much about finding your way onto the JFK-ICN flight.

Hope that helps clarify a bit.
hmmm...

first off thanks for the report!!

I guess the most important thing would be the flat bed... which you got being in the first class seats... but the additional service elements of course were missing as you say. I think the quality of the food is as good in business class, but first gives you more choices, with caviar if you want, and better alcohol.

the suites however are a step up from the regular first class seats. much more comfortable!

was the premier cabin full? and were you directed to the first class lounge or business class in Seoul?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.