Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cambodia itenary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:11 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
You'll like the Two Dragons, though the street it's on isn't sealed. The food's good and the people are nice. I recommend breakfast at Soupdragon a block from the market (on "Pub" Street), though it's a bit of a walk.

The Two Dragons can arrange for your overland travel from SR to Bangkok as far as the border. It's pretty simple from there.

So, perhaps overnight in Phnom Penh on the way to Siem Reap and then overland to Bangkok? The journey between PP and Siem Reap is pretty forgettable, so no need to do twice on this trip.

3-4 hours by share taxi from Siem Reap to the border. Probably less than an hour screwing around at the border, depending on how fast Cambodian departure takes (and the mood Thai arrival immigration is in.) 10 minutes from the border to Aranyaprathet bus station. Buses every 1/2 hour or so to Bangkok dureing the day. 4 hours to new Morchit bus station, maybe with one stop, depending on which bus line you take. Good road all the way from Aran to Bangkok.

Where are you staying in Saigon?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA PE, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Thanks folks for your inputs. Here's a little description of my tastes, I am someone who does not like to do too much of a similar thing. Like I once took a long trip in Europe and towards the end began to lose interest in seeing churches, cathedrals, parliament buildings. So I began to do things little at a time to make it more interesting. Now, I have seen many temples in India, Japan and Thailand and as Angkor Wat is more Hindu (IIRC) I am wondering if Angkor will impress me as much. That is one reason I decided one day was more than enough, just to see the main sites possible in a day.
Personally, I find that each of the place that you have mentioned has a different feels to them. Angkor's one great achievement is stone works among others. As you move further north (Thailand, Laos, Burma, Tibet), the Thevada Buddist artwork switches from stone works to paintings. It is up on how much you do like stone works.

Can Angkor Complex temples be done in a day? Certainly, it just like a normal tour, you are dropped at a place jumped in for an hour, move the next. But your choices will be limited to the one close to Seam Reap. One of the marvel, temple of ladies is a bit further, takes about 1h to get there.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by hiyo
We will get into PP on the way north too late for the bus that day.
Driving long distances through the countryside at night in Cambodia is really not advisable, they drive crazily enough as is and the odds of an accident skyrocket when you can't see where you're going and who else is in your way. Why not overnight in Phnom Penh and take the morning bus to SR? You'll arrive refreshed and in much better shape to hit the temples; if you've got four days there, "missing" a morning isn't critical.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:07 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Originally Posted by rjh
You'll like the Two Dragons, though the street it's on isn't sealed. The food's good and the people are nice. I recommend breakfast at Soupdragon a block from the market (on "Pub" Street), though it's a bit of a walk.
I felt like staying there was a way to pay back in some way for all the information I got from Gordon. We are also in tune with his fair trade philosophy and his statement he has no touts steering business to his GH and takes no percentage from suggestions for services he makes to guests.

Originally Posted by rjh
The Two Dragons can arrange for your overland travel from SR to Bangkok as far as the border. It's pretty simple from there.

So, perhaps overnight in Phnom Penh on the way to Siem Reap and then overland to Bangkok?
We were leaning that way, then we saw the video clip on this page. And we would be attempting it right after the rainy season? Yikes. We will have to remain flexible, although what an adventure!

Originally Posted by rjh
Where are you staying in Saigon?
I have absolutely no clue, other than somewhere in or around the Pham Ngu Lao, De Tham, Bui Vien area, but I am totally open to suggestions.

I guess the term for our type of traveller is now being called "flashpacker ." When we were younger, we were backpackers, now we have a little more money and don't mind some comfort, as long as it doesn't isolate us from the experience.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 3:23 pm
rjh

I can't tell when the trip you cite was made. Molly Malone's hasn't been around all that long so it must have been in the last couple of years. Anyway, I made the trip in April, 2006 and it was simple. About 3.5 hours, which was a bit slower than I would have expected. As I recall we went around almost all of the bridges, since it was dry season. Queuing for bridges can add to the transit time, depending on the aggressiveness of your driver, since several bridges choke to one lane.

Just as a data point, I took my family overland from Bangkok to Siem Reap in 2002 and, believe me, I wouldn't have taken any stupid chances. You can ask for the latest info in the tales of asia Cambodia forum when you are getting closer to the date of travel.

As far as Saigon hotels in the Pham Ngu Lao area, I made a recommendation 24 Nov 05, post #9, in this thread. Good choice for a flash packer. Draft beer just up the street. A block or so away is the, ahem, Sahara Bar. Try to get a seat at the bar before 1AM when the locals start streaming in. (I didn't have my family on that trip.) Good breakfast with real milk at a little sidewalk place on the corner of Bui Vien and Do Quang Dau (not the "pizza" place, which does, however, have good ban xeo).

All this talk of Cambodia and environs makes me wonder what the #$% I'm doing here...
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:57 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Driving long distances through the countryside at night in Cambodia is really not advisable, they drive crazily enough as is and the odds of an accident skyrocket when you can't see where you're going and who else is in your way. Why not overnight in Phnom Penh and take the morning bus to SR? You'll arrive refreshed and in much better shape to hit the temples; if you've got four days there, "missing" a morning isn't critical.
Just to chime in on the above point, which I totally agree with. I have a number of friends, both foreign and local, who have had traffic accidents while driving at night. Note that the problem may not be the other cars, but also the obstacles that you can't see so easily when it's dark - e.g., cows, oxcarts, piles of construction material (that's what did in a friend's car on t he road to Battambang), etc.

I would definitely stay in PP the first night there and then leave in the morning for Siem Reap. Or stay an extra day and enjoy the city - up to you.

Enjoy your trip,
Michael
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:25 am

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Your itinerary is certainly possible , but I think you will feel a bit rushed. If given a choice of one day at Angkor or not going at all, I would choose the former. I was just there last summer and can share my experience. Phnom Phen is a lovely city with a fair bit to see and do. The killing fields are about a 30 to 40 minute drive from town and are worth seeing. Seeing the tower of skulls in the monument is a moving experience and a testimony to how insane and cruel people can be and a grim reminder that despite the atrocities of the holocaust, history seems to repeat itself over and over. The genocide museum is well worth a visit, as well as the palace in the city and the market. I took a direct flight from Phnom to Siem Riep on Bangkok airways. Very inexpensive and pleasant. Again , if you only have one day in Angkor , then that's all you have and make the most of it. You have a choice being on the back of a motorbike, tuk tuk (motorised with a cover), or an actual air con vehicle/taxi which ranges in price from least to most expensive. I chose the middle one, 20 USD for the day. I picked up a guide at the tourist center where your driver can take you. I would definately recommend a guide. My guide managed to do a reserve order from the usual routine, ex, going to the main temple during lunch hour where it was mostly empty. I managed to get most of my pictures with no people in it. I would try to see the main temple (the one in the classic photos of Angkor) and Ta Prom (the one with the large strangler figs which have been left to grow in the temple complex) if you only have one day. Enjoy, it is one of the most amazing monuments in the world.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Originally Posted by Michael
Just to chime in on the above point, which I totally agree with. I have a number of friends, both foreign and local, who have had traffic accidents while driving at night. Note that the problem may not be the other cars, but also the obstacles that you can't see so easily when it's dark - e.g., cows, oxcarts, piles of construction material (that's what did in a friend's car on t he road to Battambang), etc.

I would definitely stay in PP the first night there and then leave in the morning for Siem Reap. Or stay an extra day and enjoy the city - up to you.

Enjoy your trip,
Michael
On the advice of jpatokal and Michael, we have changed plans and reservations accordingly to spend the night in Phnom Penh after arriving from Chau Doc, and continue to Siem Reap the next day . . .

. . . in the daylight.

I think we are then going to travel overland to Bangkok from Siem Reap, but that will depend on the road conditions as the time approaches.

Thanks for the advice, good looking out. ^
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Hi folks,

I think I am the type who would prefer to spend only a day on the Angkor temples, so I was just wondering if there are other things/places I can spend time on? I have an afternoon free.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:33 pm
rjh

Hi folks,

I think I am the type who would prefer to spend only a day on the Angkor temples, so I was just wondering if there are other things/places I can spend time on? I have an afternoon free.
The usual thing to do is to take a boat trip on the Tonle Sap lake. The temples occupy a vast area, though, and you may well change your mind once you're there.

There are some really d-u-m-b tourist activities like the overpriced theme park on Highway 6, but the temples are the world class draw. The lake can be pleasant when you're are temple'd out.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:33 pm

Programs: CX Silver
I found Aki Ra's Land Mine Musem well worth a visit. It's on a dirt road located just past the temple ticket office.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.