Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Do i need an International Driving Permit for Indonesia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

I currently have a full UK driving license but am wondering if i will be able to rent a hire car with my UK driving license or do i need to apply for an international Driving Permit for when i travel to Indonesia?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by RichyF
I currently have a full UK driving license but am wondering if i will be able to rent a hire car with my UK driving license or do i need to apply for an international Driving Permit for when i travel to Indonesia?
I will leave it someone else to give you an "exact" answer, but it is common in Thailand for rental agencies to rent a car to you without an Int'l license. But it is also my understanding here - that the insurance may be void if you can't produce one after an accident.

So - you might be able to - but you might possibly also really need one should unfortunate circumstances require it. Check that angle also.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:12 pm

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
Indonesia? Hell, just drive. Actually I haven't driven a car in Indonesia, but I have rented a motorbike there. No driver's license was ever asked for.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:59 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
The last time I went to Indonesia (earlier this year), I rented a car and drove for about three weeks.

I don't think it matters .. or at least have some extra cash with you wherever you go.

Here's a story for your amusement =/

I applied for an International Driving Permit in case I got pulled over. Sure enough I did, while driving in Jakarta, by a motor officer.

He asked to see the license and registration which I showed him my Florida driver license and the registration cert for the car. And since I work for the local agency here in FL, I also showed him my credentials in hoping he'll give me the courtesy and let me go. Nope .. I was wrong. He said, and I quoted .. "as a fellow law enforcement, we should help each other" which my cousin who was sitting next to me said (in Dutch) that he was referring to money aka bribe.

I would argue with him but because we have to be somewhere, I went ahead and gave him Rp. 50,000 bill. Later my cousin asked how much I gave him and was in shock when I told him the amount. He said normally they won't settle for anything under Rp. 250,000

Last edited by aSiAnRiCk; Aug 29, 2006 at 3:05 am
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:03 am

I guess I tend to be more cautious than the previous posters. Frankly, I would encourage you to "cover your *ss" - and get the license. It is cheap and easy to get.

Some countries consider traffic accidents to be criminal rather than civil issues - and imprisonment is a possibility if you don't play by the rules. And it is the insurance coverage that often decides if you go free or not. And the license that may activate or void the insurance.

As they say in Thailand, "Up to you."

Seems a cheap investment.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:40 pm
In memoriam

When I was in Bali last year I meet a lovely Gernan (guy) and Japanese (girl) who were studying Indonesian in Jakarta. I was afraid to drive in Bali, but did discuss it with the guy. He told me that it was absolutely required to have an international driver's license to drive anything motorized if you were not Indonesian, but that $10 would end any problems if you got stopped, with our without the proper license. However, he also told me he had been stopped five times in two days on the roads outside Ubud by cops looking for bribes. They were so shocked at his good language skills he talked all of them out doing anything. But what a hassle.

So, if you are an Indonesian speaking German with a cute Japanese girlfriend on the back of your moto you may be okay. Otherwise, help support the local transport industry by hiring one of the very cheap drivers.

By the way, never try to outdrink a German! Unless you are an Aussie!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:40 am

Programs: Too many to list
Rent a car AND driver. Cheaper in the long run and you avoid any possible legal hassles in an accident. A driver wouldn't cost much extra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.