Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

I'm thinking of moving to Bangkok to teach ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Hi, I've been lurking around flyertalk for some time now, and I'm finally posting something in search of some advice. Do any of you have any thoughts on the education system in Thailand? I've heard of problems teaching there due to the ease of getting "fake" certifications somewhere in Bangkok, so the pool of teachers includes an inordinate number of shady characters. Any takes on this?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:42 am

I have a buddy (Thai-born but lived most of his life in the U.S.) who moved to Bangkok a couple of years ago and is teaching at a local university. If you're interested in asking him some questions send me a PM and I'll put you together via e-mail.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
http://www.ajarn.com/
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, TG, US, Priority Club, HHonors, Club Carlson, etc.
Originally Posted by EFLTeacher
Hi, I've been lurking around flyertalk for some time now, and I'm finally posting something in search of some advice. Do any of you have any thoughts on the education system in Thailand? I've heard of problems teaching there due to the ease of getting "fake" certifications somewhere in Bangkok, so the pool of teachers includes an inordinate number of shady characters. Any takes on this?
This demands largely on your qualifications -- what subject(s) are you qualified in? English? ESL? If you are a science or math teacher, you'd be in high demand. Check out this blog:

Living and Teaching in Thailand

The author is a science/math teacher at an international school in Bangkok, so his situation is a bit different than the ESL teacher situation.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
I followed a fascinating travel blog that started in 2001 and just ended. The blogger spent over a year in Bangkok and taught English. He was extremely detailed in expressing his concerns, problems, and frustrations. The blog is www.terrystrek.com . He has his time spent living in Bangkok as a separate section.

Hope reading this helps. You may want to contact him directly. He is living in the US again.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:53 am

Try the EFL FAQ at Phuket Delight.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:42 am

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
There are jobs to be had. It's a great learning experience. I completely love Bangkok. You might too. I hope you make over here.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=46
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

It's been awhile since my opening post, and I want to thank everyone for all the advice. I did check a few of the suggested links and got a lot of my questions answered there -- www.ajarn.com is full of info, but the forum seems to be full of grumpy cynics who seem to be down on the teaching profession . The guys over at ThaiVisa.com were MUCH friendlier and optimistic about life in Thailand. I did get some excellent information from that blog, living-teaching-in-thailand.blogspot.com, especially the post "A Reasonable Teacher's Salary in Bangkok?" ^ .

So, now here's the situation. I did email my resume out to a bunch of schools that had posted positions on ajarn.com. Within a day, I received THREE job offers -- no live interview, no phone interview, no CONTACT whatsoever, other than my emailed resume. I am a bit wary about accepting a position with an organization that would be SO desparate as to offer a position so recklessly. Is this common practice there? Is the teaching shortage that severe?
Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are right to be wary. I would suggest you come here first, get situated, then look for a job. PM me.

Edited to add; A new school year is starting up within the next two weeks, hence the desperation.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:13 am

Princeton Review

It's been awhile since my opening post, and I want to thank everyone for all the advice. I did check a few of the suggested links and got a lot of my questions answered there -- www.ajarn.com is full of info, but the forum seems to be full of grumpy cynics who seem to be down on the teaching profession . The guys over at ThaiVisa.com were MUCH friendlier and optimistic about life in Thailand. I did get some excellent information from that blog, living-teaching-in-thailand.blogspot.com, especially the post "A Reasonable Teacher's Salary in Bangkok?" ^ .

So, now here's the situation. I did email my resume out to a bunch of schools that had posted positions on ajarn.com. Within a day, I received THREE job offers -- no live interview, no phone interview, no CONTACT whatsoever, other than my emailed resume. I am a bit wary about accepting a position with an organization that would be SO desparate as to offer a position so recklessly. Is this common practice there? Is the teaching shortage that severe?
Somewhat off topic but TPR is looking for qualified teachers. They paid roughly $20/hr, guarantee 50 hrs/month,provide cost of housing allowance and travel allowance, total about $450/month, local health insurance, and round-trip airfare if you commit to one yr contract.

This is for experienced TPR instructors and not sure for regular teacher....PM iif you want contact in Bkk.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:23 am

Programs: PC
A good place to work in Bangkok would be in one of the international language school franchises such as English First, Berlitz, Inlingua, etc. They have the benefit of a tried & tested system and are an infinitely more pleasant experience than some local run schools where you have to come up with every single little idea and piece of material...I've been teaching part-time here for nearly 3 years now while getting my university degree and it really paid to go for such a place.

Of course, if you're very creative, want full control and really want a feel of the local flavor, the Thai schools are a better place.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Luck

I think the grumpy attitudes on the blogsites towards teachers is due to the fact that in Asia anybody who is from the US, Australia, England, ect. can get a job as an English teacher regardless of their qualifications. I've heard English teaching jobs in China refered to as "expat welfare".

The fact that anyone can get hired means that there are a lot of very bad teachers who give a bad name to people like you who are professional and care about what their students learn.

I've know many competient and hard working English teachers in Asia and they all found the experience quite rewarding and enriching. I'm sure you'll have a great time and don't be put off by the blogsites.

I also know, at least in China, that the job offer after only sending in your resume is not uncommon at all...they need good teachers!
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, HA, NW
I'm currently in Bangkok having a great time teaching at an international school.

...www.ajarn.com is full of info, but the forum seems to be full of grumpy cynics who seem to be down on the teaching profession ...
Yes, I (along with everyone else on our staff) feel exactly the same way. Many are bitter about the discrepancy between their pay and the pay of teachers at international schools. If they were truly the "good" teachers they claimed to be AND the money they complain about not having is SO important, they should get a job at an international school. If they CAN'T -- they're probably not as good as they think they are.

I did get some excellent information from that blog, living-teaching-in-thailand.blogspot.com, especially the post "A Reasonable Teacher's Salary in Bangkok?" ^ .
Wow. I checked this out and this teacher is SPOT ON in regards to what you can expect as far as "reasobable" and "fair" salaries are concerned. ^ ^ ^

Within a day, I received THREE job offers -- no live interview, no phone interview, no CONTACT whatsoever, other than my emailed resume. I am a bit wary about accepting a position with an organization that would be SO desparate as to offer a position so recklessly. Is this common practice there? Is the teaching shortage that severe?
Same thing happens to virtually ANY westerner whose resume even HINTS that he/she is a decent teacher. Right now, schools are getting real desparate. Thai school classes are scheduled to open in a couple of weeks and there are A LOT of positions to fill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.