FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I'm thinking of moving to Bangkok to teach ...
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:13 am
dtsm

Princeton Review

Originally Posted by EFLTeacher
It's been awhile since my opening post, and I want to thank everyone for all the advice. I did check a few of the suggested links and got a lot of my questions answered there -- www.ajarn.com is full of info, but the forum seems to be full of grumpy cynics who seem to be down on the teaching profession . The guys over at ThaiVisa.com were MUCH friendlier and optimistic about life in Thailand. I did get some excellent information from that blog, living-teaching-in-thailand.blogspot.com, especially the post "A Reasonable Teacher's Salary in Bangkok?" ^ .

So, now here's the situation. I did email my resume out to a bunch of schools that had posted positions on ajarn.com. Within a day, I received THREE job offers -- no live interview, no phone interview, no CONTACT whatsoever, other than my emailed resume. I am a bit wary about accepting a position with an organization that would be SO desparate as to offer a position so recklessly. Is this common practice there? Is the teaching shortage that severe?
Somewhat off topic but TPR is looking for qualified teachers. They paid roughly $20/hr, guarantee 50 hrs/month,provide cost of housing allowance and travel allowance, total about $450/month, local health insurance, and round-trip airfare if you commit to one yr contract.

This is for experienced TPR instructors and not sure for regular teacher....PM iif you want contact in Bkk.