Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

MR to Asia? Bring home smiles from a tailor!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR to Asia? Bring home smiles from a tailor!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Location: Lat. N41., Long. W-75, in the NJ foothills of the Poconos
Programs: Ex-Con Million Miler, UA MM, CO Plat dozen, Onepass member since 1988
Silk Market

Originally Posted by mrmakochan
Could you give some detail about the tailor in Beijing?
I went to the Silk Market, a 4 story shopping mall that just opened fall 2005, financed by HKG $$. It is in the guide books. Similar to Shenzhen Mall. On Dongchangan St. just inside 3rd ring road, SE side of town. Use elevators near south entrance. Go to 4th floor, and the elevator lobby opens into the biggest tailor shop area. Zillions of bolts of cloth. 36 hour turnaround, you go back for a fitting 24 hrs after purchase, then they deliver to your hotel that night.

Decide BEFORE you go on what style, color, fiber, etc. Decide EXACTLY what you want ahead of time, they'll make it. Otherwise, it is sensory overload. Bargain them down to UDS $15 for pinpoint cotton dress shirts. After I paid $25 on Monday, I met some others who got $15 Tuesday.

Better yet, walk all the aisles on 4th floor before you buy. Price other tailors. Investing another hour negotiating could save you $100's. After I had invested 90+ minutes negotiating my multiple purchases (suits for me+GF, shirts for me+GF+sister), selecting 19 different fabrics, I walked past a smaller Tailor shop who had an African American employee who spoke (of course) perfect English!! I would have rather dealt with HIM, alas, too late. China is NOT integrated like we expect in other major metropolitan cities. 90% Han ethnic, + 9.9% other Asian ethnay. Americans, both Caucasian and African-, and other non-Asians do stand out. But Chinese are well mannered, polite, however the young sales girls are trained to be PUSHY!

Last edited by Bernoulli 777; Dec 20, 2005 at 4:00 pm
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:02 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by Bernoulli 777
I went to the Silk Market, a 4 story shopping mall that just opened fall 2005, financed by HKG $$.
Went to the Market a few weeks ago. Quite impressive 4 floors of total counterfeit, fake, bootleg, trademark infringing products. I surely thought it
was owned by PLA not HKG$$. This place is a gold mine for the vendors... they make a ton of profit from stealing companies years of work to establish their brand. Saw one guy on street selling fake Olympic stuff...I bet he didn't last long.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:28 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
What forms of payment are valid for HKG?

Do they take plastic or is it cash only?
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Do they take plastic or is it cash only?
Plastic was fine with the one I used.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by djohannw
Anybody got an adress for made-to-measure clothes in Shanghai?

Greetings - Dirk
I got two amazing suits and a cashmere jacket from Mr. Chen. He speaks no English but travels with a translator.

From Departures:
Mr. Chen (86-21-5218-0621) will also come to your hotel for measurements. Once he has your sizes and patterns made to fit, he is happy to work via fax and mail on additional pieces. He is the best man for traditional tailoring and exceptionally beautiful qipaos.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by J.Edward
What forms of payment are valid for HKG? Do they take plastic or is it cash only?
What a strange question! Hong Kong has one of the highest penetrations of credit cards anywhere in the world... anywhere selling things that cost more than US$10 (i.e. anything except the smallest food stall) will take them.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 8:19 pm

Programs: Ex-Continental Platinum Elite, HHonors Diamond Preferential VIP, Former Continental Platinum Elite
Cool Kwan Kee Tailor in Hong Kong.......

This is a chain of tailor shops in Hong Kong, Macau and Mainland China. I bought two suits with six shirts for about $1200. I would encourage others to consider Kwan Kee as well.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:12 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Express Tailor Hong Kong

I just used this tailor after the first post in this forum.
Wonderful place. Great stuff.
Although I didnt bargin like I should I am VERY happy with my 1 suit, 6 shirts and tie for 550 USD.

Plastic is fine for this.
They keep measurements. Work off email after if you wish. And he travels to the states including a visit very near my office in June in NYC 2006.

Last edited by tenmoc; Feb 24, 2006 at 8:20 pm
Old Apr 29, 2006, 8:13 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Tailors in Kuala Lumpur?

I'll be in KL next month. Have any of you used tailors in Kuala Lumpur that you would recommend?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.