FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MR to Asia? Bring home smiles from a tailor!
Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:57 pm
Bernoulli 777

Location: Lat. N41., Long. W-75, in the NJ foothills of the Poconos
Programs: Ex-Con Million Miler, UA MM, CO Plat dozen, Onepass member since 1988
Silk Market

Originally Posted by mrmakochan
Could you give some detail about the tailor in Beijing?
I went to the Silk Market, a 4 story shopping mall that just opened fall 2005, financed by HKG $$. It is in the guide books. Similar to Shenzhen Mall. On Dongchangan St. just inside 3rd ring road, SE side of town. Use elevators near south entrance. Go to 4th floor, and the elevator lobby opens into the biggest tailor shop area. Zillions of bolts of cloth. 36 hour turnaround, you go back for a fitting 24 hrs after purchase, then they deliver to your hotel that night.

Decide BEFORE you go on what style, color, fiber, etc. Decide EXACTLY what you want ahead of time, they'll make it. Otherwise, it is sensory overload. Bargain them down to UDS $15 for pinpoint cotton dress shirts. After I paid $25 on Monday, I met some others who got $15 Tuesday.

Better yet, walk all the aisles on 4th floor before you buy. Price other tailors. Investing another hour negotiating could save you $100's. After I had invested 90+ minutes negotiating my multiple purchases (suits for me+GF, shirts for me+GF+sister), selecting 19 different fabrics, I walked past a smaller Tailor shop who had an African American employee who spoke (of course) perfect English!! I would have rather dealt with HIM, alas, too late. China is NOT integrated like we expect in other major metropolitan cities. 90% Han ethnic, + 9.9% other Asian ethnay. Americans, both Caucasian and African-, and other non-Asians do stand out. But Chinese are well mannered, polite, however the young sales girls are trained to be PUSHY!

Last edited by Bernoulli 777; Dec 20, 2005 at 4:00 pm