Wiki Posts
Search

Jakarta (CGK) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mmamminna
... Not interested in malls, we have plenty of those in the US, I want to explore and to learn more about the culture. ..
Don't be too sniffy about Jakarta's malls: they're accessible and range from the comfortable-but-gritty Bloc M end of the spectrum up to the luxury extreme: and every one of them reflects aspects of modern Indonesian culture.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:32 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

If I had one day in Jakarta:

-Sunda Kelapa, followed by Fatahillah (the old town area). Though I don't have the fondest memories of Sunda Kelapa port, what would Batavia (Dutch name for Jakarta) have become with it?)

-Lunch at Beautika in Tanah Abang (cuisine from the mostly Catholic city of Manado; spicy, lots of seafood and "exotic" dishes.) Extra points because they have working sinks with soap

-MONAS/the city square in which it's located (you get a brief intro to the diversity of Indonesia while walking around that square. Go to the top of MONAS, and you'll probably be surrounded by schoolchildren)

-Istiqlal Mosque (it's peaceful - a very rare treat in that city, solemn and temperate...inside)

-Make your way to Jalan Thamrin, to relax at a ridiculously trendy mall (take your pick). Sure, the US has malls, but in Indonesia, they're also air conditioned refuges...and sometimes themed.

For example, Grand Indonesia has one section dedicated to NYC, replete with a fake Rockefeller Center, and subway carriage. Wide swath of restaurant choices, too, and supermarkets will provide the opportunity to get nuanced edible souvenirs.
acg2 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
For the ultimate Indonesian experience, drive from CBD Jakarta to Bandung on a Friday afternoon, 5-6pm departure time. Extra points if it's a three day weekends.
An experience not to be missed - once in a lifetime you might say...
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, Sixt Platinum
We're currently finalising the bookings for our Indonesia Trip with QR over easter.
We're arriving Saturday at 3.10pm and have booked the Doubletree for two nights. We're normally happy Uber riders but my usual fear at airports is finding the drivers, together with maybe not perfect english skills over phone that's not great.
Does Silverbird (Or when looking at the online reservation it shows as Goldbird) pick you up at the arrivals with a name sign? After that long flight we'd prefer not to search the driver for a while. What's the traffic like on a Sat Afternoon? Prices show between 221k Standard and 493k Luxury (E-Class). The Camry for 323k could be interesting.

We've then booked a Batik Air flight from HLP to JOG on Monday morning (9.15am) as it looks closer to the Doubletree and seems to be quite small.
After JOG we're going to DPS and back from DPS to CGK. Our QR Flight is at 0.20am Sunday morning. To be safe with delays we've booked for arrival in CGK at 5.40pm (Batik Air again). As the lounge doesn't look overwhelming we've booked (cancellable) the Airport Hotel in T3 to rest a few hours before the return. Reviews are not great, but obviously the only hotel IN the airport?!

Sorry for the lot of text. I'd be keen to hear your experts thoughts on the plan and of course what you think in regards to taxi to the hotel in Jakarta.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:55 am

I will be arriving CGK coming from the Middle East, arriving 3pm on a Monday. I will be continuing on to DPS on a separate ticket, which I've yet to purchase.

What's a safe departure time for my CGK-DPS ticket? Again, I will be arriving from the Middle East to CGK at 3pm (scheduled). I am planning to not check bags, but may end up having to last minute. I am a US citizen.

It seems consensus is 1.5-2 hrs if no bags, and maybe 2.5-3 hrs with bags. Just making sure this info is still current.

Thanks!

Last edited by slice; Mar 30, 2017 at 10:08 am
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by slice
I will be arriving CGK coming from the Middle East, arriving 3pm on a Monday. I will be continuing on to DPS on a separate ticket, which I've yet to purchase.

What's a safe departure time for my CGK-DPS ticket? Again, I will be arriving from the Middle East to CGK at 3pm (scheduled). I am planning to not check bags, but may end up having to last minute. I am a US citizen.

It seems consensus is 1.5-2 hrs if no bags, and maybe 2.5-3 hrs with bags. Just making sure this info is still current.
You have to deal with customs, possibly luggage, and depending on the airline, maybe changing terminals. Without knowing all variables, I'd choose 2.5-3 hours, and know that if you hit a snag, you'll be purchasing a new ticket. Coach tickets on LCC's aren't too expensive. Tip, buy one way tickets, in case you miss one leg, you won't have to replace all the domestic flights.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pebadian
We're currently finalising the bookings for our Indonesia Trip with QR over easter.
We're arriving Saturday at 3.10pm and have booked the Doubletree for two nights. We're normally happy Uber riders but my usual fear at airports is finding the drivers, together with maybe not perfect english skills over phone that's not great.
Does Silverbird (Or when looking at the online reservation it shows as Goldbird) pick you up at the arrivals with a name sign? After that long flight we'd prefer not to search the driver for a while. What's the traffic like on a Sat Afternoon? Prices show between 221k Standard and 493k Luxury (E-Class). The Camry for 323k could be interesting.

We've then booked a Batik Air flight from HLP to JOG on Monday morning (9.15am) as it looks closer to the Doubletree and seems to be quite small.
After JOG we're going to DPS and back from DPS to CGK. Our QR Flight is at 0.20am Sunday morning. To be safe with delays we've booked for arrival in CGK at 5.40pm (Batik Air again). As the lounge doesn't look overwhelming we've booked (cancellable) the Airport Hotel in T3 to rest a few hours before the return. Reviews are not great, but obviously the only hotel IN the airport?!

Sorry for the lot of text. I'd be keen to hear your experts thoughts on the plan and of course what you think in regards to taxi to the hotel in Jakarta.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Usually the Silverbird desk just has your name. If you pay for a meet and greet service, they might meet you as you come off the plane.

I've never flown out of HLP. I think it was only a military airport before. I wouldn't expect too much. I've never been wowed by any airport in Indonesia. Many Indonesian airports only have stairs for airplane boarding.

No idea on the terminal hotel. Again, if the reviews are not good, I'd not expect much. At least you could be the first to review it on FT.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, Sixt Platinum
Thanks! the silver bird info helps a lot. Didn't knew there's a desk which obviously helps.

I'll post an update on HLP and the airport hotel after the trip. Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by pebadian

I'll post an update on HLP and the airport hotel after the trip. Thanks!
I'm in and out of HLP pretty frequently, its small terminal, I'm usually traveling without luggage when using the airport and show up around T-40.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

What is the best time to leave from the airport to downtown Jakarta? We are staying in a hotel near the airport and will have Friday/Saturday to explore the city.
Is there such a thing like rush hour traffic, or is it rush hour 24/7?
Also, what day is best to venture around Jakarta, Friday or Saturday?

Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by bwiadca
What is the best time to leave from the airport to downtown Jakarta? We are staying in a hotel near the airport and will have Friday/Saturday to explore the city.
Is there such a thing like rush hour traffic, or is it rush hour 24/7?
Also, what day is best to venture around Jakarta, Friday or Saturday?

Thanks
There is a lot if traffic throughout the day on weekends. Lots of people are going to malls or other points of interest. Friday afternoon traffic can also be quite heavy. Lots of people finish work early to go to the mosque. So on a Friday try to avoid travelling as much as possible between 3pm and 7pm if you don't want to be in traffic.

There are not many things to visit for tourists in Jakarta, but you should visit Monas (Momumen Nasional), there is a museum inside the monument about the history of Indonesia and it's ethnic diversity. If you want to go on a shopping spree, there are TONS of malls all around the city.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks Zolex. In this case I will plan on visiting the city on a Saturday.
There might be not many things to see in Jakarta, but I bet you that there is a lot of food places From Indonesia I want to bring back home good food memories and some local coffee beans.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Thanks Zolex. In this case I will plan on visiting the city on a Saturday.
There might be not many things to see in Jakarta, but I bet you that there is a lot of food places From Indonesia I want to bring back home good food memories and some local coffee beans.

Thanks again.
Definitely tons of good food around from all around Indonesia!

And coffeebars are really popular in Jakarta. You should try coffee from Toraja
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Always get a good massage while in town. Many hotels have reasonable inhouse services ($30-40). I use a service called Solusi Sehat that has some really thorough masseuses. 90-120 minutes is the best. Prices are $15-20, although they often have to bribe hotel security $4 to get in.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Always get a good massage while in town. Many hotels have reasonable inhouse services ($30-40). I use a service called Solusi Sehat that has some really thorough masseuses. 90-120 minutes is the best. Prices are $15-20, although they often have to bribe hotel security $4 to get in.
$30-$40 is actually really expensive for a massage in Jakarta. But normal prices I guess at luxury hotels I guess. If you look for a spa outside your hotel you might get the same treatment for about $6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.