Vietnam Airlines help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam Airlines help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2003, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
Vietnam Airlines help

I am trying to go from HKG to Siem Riep Cambodia and then to Hanoi. The easiest way is on Vietnam Air. But I can't get anyone to sell me a ticket for the intra-Asia legs only. Anyone have any ideas on where to buy a ticket in the US or California in particular. Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well. BKK is an option but the routing doesn't appear to be good at all.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 5:14 am

Programs: BA, LH, BD
maybe buy the Asean air pass
3 coupons for $360..
i did a quick search for hong kong ta's online -
http://www.tiglion.com/airpass/asean.htm

but maybe there are others. people have actually used.

then pick up the ticket when you arrive.
also this site..
http://www.travel.com.hk/

[This message has been edited by ajinlondon (edited 10-31-2003).]
Old Oct 31, 2003, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Just what I was looking for, Thanks AJ.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 1:03 pm

Vietnam Airlines (VN) tickets (validated on numeric code:738) cannot be issued in the USA.

Old Nov 5, 2003, 7:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mr. Roboto:
Vietnam Airlines (VN) tickets (validated on numeric code:738) cannot be issued in the USA.

</font>
You can buy the tickets. STA issued them. Travelocity does too.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 8:21 am
Original Poster

What is STA? I am flying singapore air over to HKG. I need the intra-asia legs on Vietnam. Travelocity can issue the legs I need, but the price coming up is over $1100.

[This message has been edited by ORDSteve (edited 11-05-2003).]
Old Nov 5, 2003, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
You might want to try American Airlines. The website is more than happy to quote from SGN-HAN return, and they've buddied up in general, too.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 11:51 am

STA is the largest Student Travel Organization. You don't have to be a student, though, to buy the tickets - just to get the discounts they might have.

Vietnam airlines also has a U.S. office - in San Francisco.

One other thing - it's often cheaper to book and buy there then here in the U.S. Since you are going to Siem Reap, though, that can be risky.

Old Nov 5, 2003, 4:41 pm

and these website or STA is going to be cheaper than $360..?? hmmm
Old Nov 6, 2003, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note - the ASEAN air pass is only valid if sold at the same time as an intercontinental ticket to Asia on a specified list of (Asian) carriers.

So aj, whilst it might not be under $360, the overall costs are a different matter. hmmmmmm........ indeed!
Old Nov 6, 2003, 3:59 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swiss Tony:
Note - the ASEAN air pass is only valid if sold at the same time as an intercontinental ticket to Asia on a specified list of (Asian) carriers.

So aj, whilst it might not be under $360, the overall costs are a different matter. hmmmmmm........ indeed!
</font>
The Air Pass, covering 29 ASEAN cities, must be issued in conjunction with an international air ticket issued by any of the following participating airlines: Royal Brunei Airlines, Garuda Indonesia, Malaysia Airlines, Philippine Airlines, Singapore Airlines, SilkAir, Thai Airways International and Vietnam Airlines. It is priced at US $120 per flight coupon (per sector) for travel on economy class. A minimum of 3 continuous sectors in ASEAN must be purchased.

i think you might want to re-read the thread.. before you start attacking me,
he IS FLYING SINGAPORE AIR.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 6, 2003, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[This message has been edited by Swiss Tony (edited 11-06-2003).]
Old Nov 6, 2003, 4:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajinlondon:
and these website or STA is going to be cheaper than $360..?? hmmm</font>
As the other poster pointed out, the ASEAN airpass must be purchased at the time the international ticket is bought. Presumably, the OP has already bought his/her ticket with SQ.

NOTE: "Asean Air Pass ticket must be issued at the same time with the international ticket for travel into Asean countries on the services of BI/GA/MH/MI/PR/SQ/TG/VN/QV/UB"

And yes, STA may be cheaper. I haven't done the research but when I bought a 3 segment ticket HAN-SGN-REP-SGN with STA last March, it came to about $350. This was on a combo of Vietnam and Siem Riep Airlines.

BTW, STA www site is www.sta.com - I find it easier, though, just to call and work with the agents. They are very friendly and easy to work with.

Finally, just my .02, but I don't think the other poster was attacking you. After all, you were the one to use the "hmmmmm" in your response to my post.

Happy travels to the OP! Siem Riep is a wonderful place as is Vietnam.

[This message has been edited by StudentExplorer (edited 11-06-2003).]
Old Nov 6, 2003, 4:20 pm

woops. duplicate post.

[This message has been edited by StudentExplorer (edited 11-06-2003).]
Old Nov 8, 2003, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I called Vietnam in San Francisco and they put me in touch with a travel agent here in Los Angeles. They were pretty useless tho, as they couldn't book me the flights to Siem Reap. I have come to the conclusion that it is easier to wait till arrival in SGN to buy the tickets (and cheaper too) but I am travelling with the wife and we have a tight schedule. Hence my trepidation to show up over there empty handed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.