Wiki Posts
Search

Any FT'ers living in metro Manila area?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:07 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Any FT'ers living in metro Manila area?

It would be nice to meet local people on my next visit(13-16Sep)!

------------------
UNITED WILL STAND
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1000k00:
It would be nice to meet local people on my next visit(13-16Sep)!
</font>
I live in Manila in the technical sense -- I'm on a project there, I have an apartment there, and all my things are there. However, I find myself back in Shanghai at the moment because, among other reasons, I managed to get myself booted from the Philippines for arguing with a customs official several weeks ago (take notes).

Suffice it to say, I have lots to say about the Philippines (not all bad, mind you) and would be glad to show you around my small patch of Makati during your visit (in spite of my current problem, the authorities tell me that I should be clear to return within a few days).

As an added footnote, the military occupied my apartment (facing the square bewteen Intercon and Glorieta) during Saturday's coup attempt. I'm in no hurry to return.

Old Jul 30, 2003, 1:05 pm

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Is it safe there now? Have been twice and will be there next week. Would like to meet up as well, send me an email.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by idealflyer:
Is it safe there now? Have been twice and will be there next week. Would like to meet up as well, send me an email.</font>
Well, my colleagues say it's safe now.... but, safety is a relative concept. Personally, I've never felt less safe any place else in the world (4 kidnappings per week, everyone I know seems to have guns on their person or in car, apartment has 8 locks on front door, not supposed to take taxis or drive self at night, etc.).

Old Aug 29, 2003, 9:08 am

i live in Manila, and yes, I am a local here.

Basically its safe to go to Manila now, the coup has surpassed so everythings back to normal as of this time around.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 6:54 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

bingo, welcome to FT. Thanks for the info about safe travel. If you have time to meet and have a few San Miguel's during my short visit next month let me know. Any recommendation on airport to hotel transfers? I will be staying @ City Garden Hotel, Ermita.

------------------
UNITED WILL STAND
Old Aug 30, 2003, 11:08 am

to 1000k00

thanks for the warm welcome. there are a lot of airport shuttles accredited by the Department of Tourism here that doesnt rip off foreigners coming to Manila...unlike before=( From the airport, you can ask the service desk there about the shuttles you want to take. Basically it would cost you less than 20 US dollars(not really sure but I know it is less than that amount) going to City Garden Hotel, Ermita. They have a prorated rate...best chance is to get that service since they already have a rate for where youre going..so basically thats around 12-16 dollars(660-900 pesos)..less than 20 bucks.
Is this your first time in Manila? Ermitas a great place, thats where the nightlife is..so you wont be bored. yeah just email me at [email protected] if you want to have a few drinks then. hope this info helps or just email me for any more questions ok?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.