Reload this Page >

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2020, 2:21 pm

If you search the posts in the HK threads over the past six weeks you should come across one poster there who managed to get permission to enter Taiwan from Singapore, then used that as a bridge to enter Hong Kong, after spending two weeks in quarantine in Taipei.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:22 am

Transit through Taiwan TPE up to 8 hours on the same airline supported now with temperature checks.
​​​​https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...me-visitors-it
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Just sharing some personal experience and findings here. Note that rules and regulations may be fluid and may change at anytime. Highly recommend calling your local TECO to confirm the procedures. Also the following covers foreign nationals without residence/foreign worker/official status only. Rules do not apply to Taiwanese passport and resident status holders.

Special permit application:
  • Important: a negative RT-PCR test result is NOT required for special permit application. It is highly recommended by TECO to obtain the permit prior to scheduling your flight & PCR test.
  • As of writing, permits are handed out for business purpose and "special applications" only. This means no tourism or social visits. Written statements explaining the purpose of visit and planned activities is required from both Taiwan and local side, such as an invitation from a Taiwanese business and a written statement from your business/organization. While sounding complicated, this is not much different than a normal business visa application process.
  • Applications are done online, but printed copies are also required to be submitted to TECO.
  • Once approved, a "special" single-entry permit is affixed on your passport, much like a normal business visa, only with a COVID statement added. Duration of stay is 90-days with one-time extension.
Negative RT-PCR test result:
  • A negative RT-PCR test result within 3 days of boarding IS required. Airlines will not allow boarding without it.
  • 3-days means 3 business days, not counting the day of departure. This means if you have your test done on a Friday, you would be able to schedule your flight as late as the following Wednesday. If your flight is scheduled just past midnight like a lot of them do, your 3rd day would be on the day you're heading to the airport.
Landing and quarantine:
  • You will be asked to submit your contact information to the quarantine system online (prior to departure), or fill out written forms to be submitted upon landing.
  • You are REQUIRED to have a local mobile number for contact tracing. You may also apply for a local SIM card at the airport with CDC personnel supervising and verifying the number.
  • 14-day quarantine starts on the day after the day of landing, and ends on 00:00 of the 15th day. This means if you land at 5:00 in the morning, clock wouldn't start until midnight.
  • 7-days of self-health management is required after quarantine, meaning wearing masks, avoiding crowded public areas.
  • Shortened quarantine period is possible for travelers from low-mid risk countries. There are plenty of information available online so I will not cover them here.
Hope this helps. Stay safe!
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Just a heads up, starting Dec. 1 and lasting for 3 months, all passengers to Taiwan (including locals and transfers) will need to show a negative PCR test within 3 days of departure. All arrivals will still need to be quarantined for 14 days.

https://udn.com/news/story/120940/50...telistnews_ch2
Old Dec 12, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Does Taiwan/airlines accept oral swab tests? The Curative Lab test that's widely available across the USA is a RT-qPCR test, which is listed as an accepted test here, but on their lab results page, method of collection "oral swab" is in big letters, and there's no guidance on whether they require nasal or oral swabs. I would definitely prefer the curative oral swab tests, as the results have been quick, and the test is painless compared to the horror stories you hear about nasal swabs.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
My guess is they only focus on the type of test you get. Of all the news I have read they only talked about the type of test, never mentioning of any type of swab. But this is only my guess.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 2:03 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
A friend just did the 14-day quarantine in Taipei. This thread already contains most of the important and relevant information that she provided me regarding her experience but I would emphasize two things:
  1. The PCR test for boarding the flight must be taken within three BUSINESS days before flight departure date (this was mentioned by @gracall above but not clear in all posts and is for whatever reason often misstated in English-language information sources on the matter). So if taking say a Wednesday flight it would be possible to use a test taken the prior Friday. This can give some more buffer time to get the test results back
  2. It is possible to rent both a local sim card and a separate phone on arrival in Taiwan. My friend strongly recommends doing so instead of giving the CECC your primary phone number as CECC reps will call every day to check in. This way it is possible to turn off your primary phone while leaving the CECC contact phone on all the time so that you can answer the CECC calls as required.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Clarification on the "3 business days": The count starts on the day prior to your flight, meaning if the flight is scheduled for a Friday, your report date window is Tuesday to Friday. Weekends and holidays are excluded from the math.

Clarification on the"report date": This is the date whichever facility produces your PCR report, meaning the result date. This is not the specimen collection date, so you could potentially be tested a day or two in advance depending on how fast the report comes in.

Information obtained directly from Taiwan CDC rep.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Taiwan is tightening the rules back up, beginning Jan 1.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/new...kwZvtMxtLpfi1M

Transit flights are also ending on 1/1/21.
ProleOnParole and Cryofern like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Skyman65
Taiwan is tightening the rules back up, beginning Jan 1.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/new...kwZvtMxtLpfi1M

Transit flights are also ending on 1/1/21.
This is a shame. I was looking into using the reduced business traveler quarantine, including repositioning to a low-risk country first, if necessary. Looks like I will just have to do the 14-day quarantine at some point. Seems like Taiwan is going to double down on keeping the borders closed (of course I do not blame them).
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strife
This is a shame. I was looking into using the reduced business traveler quarantine, including repositioning to a low-risk country first, if necessary. Looks like I will just have to do the 14-day quarantine at some point. Seems like Taiwan is going to double down on keeping the borders closed (of course I do not blame them).
Yeah, we got a good thing going here, and we're going to do our best to protect it.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Do you guys think Taiwan will reopen to US passport holders without TW passports and without quarantine by December 2021? I just booked award flights for the family to lock in KE pre-devaluation rates to spend NYE 2021 in Taipei and don't want to quarantine with two small children. These articles suggest that they will open Q4 2021 at the soonest and beginning with selected neighboring countries.

https://www.travelinglifestyle.net/t...ening-borders/

https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/mi...ble-visit-2024
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by EricUSC
Do you guys think Taiwan will reopen to US passport holders without TW passports and without quarantine by December 2021? I just booked award flights for the family to lock in KE pre-devaluation rates to spend NYE 2021 in Taipei and don't want to quarantine with two small children. These articles suggest that they will open Q4 2021 at the soonest and beginning with selected neighboring countries.
I don't think there's much use speculating. Even the Taiwanese government would have difficulty justifying continued strict quarantines and border controls if the pandemic got under control in the rest of the world. However, expect them to play it exceedingly safe regardless (e.g., they have made quarantine rules more restrictive recently, not less).

One potential issue is that Taiwan appears to be behind many other countries in the vaccination process and the government has stated a goal of 60% of the population vaccinated. Hard to imagine that would persist into the timeframe of your trip, but if it does, that could affect public policy decisions.
LETTERBOY and ProleOnParole like this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KrisKv9
is there good news now?
I'm not aware of any.

Currently, Taiwan is scrambling to lock down a cluster of local infections that erupted in a hospital in Taoyuan. Government is sending out reminders to everyone to avoid group activities. I can't imagine them agreeing to loosen up border policies while this is the headline in every news report.

Although, I did see a news report that they were working on a plan to begin allowing visitors in with no quarantine as long as you can provide proof of vaccination and negative test. But that plan is for some unknown future date, and I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:00 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Oh I miss Taiwan and I haven't seen my uncle and cousins for such a long time.... But I would understand why they wouldn't reopen their borders too fast. So far they've done quite a great job containing this virus. I actually thought foreigners were allowed in, as long as they did a 14 days quarantine in an approved hotel/facility....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.