Kuala Lumpur

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kuala Lumpur

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Kuala Lumpur

I’m heading to Malaysia for a couple of weeks in late March, arriving in KL, where I’ll probably spend the first few days. Which part of town do people recommend staying in? I enjoy walking where feasible. tls
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:03 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It is hot and humid most of the time when it isnt raining, hence the existence of numerous megamalls where you can walk kilometers indoors in air conditioning. Not really a great outdoor walking city, with some roads quite pedestrian hostile. There are neighbourhoods, each with a specific purpose, so it depends upon your reason for visiting. Traders hotel in KLCC might suit; I usually stay at Central (which is not the city centre but rather the central train station, in the middle of nowhere at LeMeridien or Hilton as they have nice pool and rooms and easy transport. Walking there is little India. Other areas are Chinese, etc.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:33 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
I'd stay in Sentral/Central, too. I like the Aloft.

In terms of touring around, there are a few that are localized and some bike tours. Look at Travelfish Kuala Lumpur "things to do" for details.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Thanks to both for the info. In cities I usually try to catch some music and see some markets. But I just booked my ticket and need to start doing some research. tls
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by thelostshark
I’m heading to Malaysia for a couple of weeks in late March, arriving in KL, where I’ll probably spend the first few days. Which part of town do people recommend staying in? I enjoy walking where feasible. tls
Bukit Bintang and the surrounding parts of the city are the most lively, with a plenty malls, and a concentration of eateries, drinking places, music venues and night-life in general. I guess it's just about the best place for a short-term first visit to KL. The new(ish) MRT and other transport links means the place is reasonably well connected.

There's an air-conditioned walkway from BB to the KLCC convention centre. Probably the longest walk you'd ever want to do in KL: unless you are used to high temperatures and humidity, "outside" is rarely comfortable for extended activity.

I see you are an IHG member, so the Holiday Inn Express might suit. It's generally cheap, gives you breakfast and it's convenient for everything Bukit Bintan offers and the cities public transport system (MRT, free buses and the weird overhead trainline).

Sentral is really only a good choice for easy access to/from the airport (bus and train), and as its role as hub for the city's public transport: meaning you can get just about anywhere quite quickly from KL Sentral.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much. BB definitely sounds like a possibility.

Kuala Lumpur just made the NY Times' list of 52 places to go this year, and they're recommending the Chow Kit district. A snippet from the article at the link below

"This year, however, visitors might focus on the neighborhood of Chow Kit, as the recent opening of two hotels delivers a fresh dose of style and energy to the gritty, underappreciated red-light district.
the district is home to the country’s largest fresh-produce market, Southeast Asia’s biggest Sikh temple and eclectic new restaurants like the Caribbean-influenced Joloko. Along Jalan Doraisamy, a one-way street that runs off the district’s main artery and was once a popular nightclub strip, reimagined shophouses have become The Row, an enclave of hip stores, art spaces and places to eat and drink."

KL is #20 on the list.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-to-visit.html
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
FWIW, Malaysia, KL in particular, is reportedly the destination of choice for tourists from the Islamic world. I was astounded by the variety of cuisines from all over the Islamic world that one didn't see in the past. (Exclusively?) Concentrated around Bukit Bintang though with none to be seen outside the area, let alone the rest of Malaysia..
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
As a person who has been living in this region for nine years, I'd say that KL is a really good choice as a base to see SEA countries due to the fact to be in the middle and cheap LCCs (mainly AirAsia) and really bad choice as a destination because even inside Malaysia there are far more interesting places.

Just my 2RM.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:34 am
Original Poster

I'll only be spending 2-3 nights in KL. I'm flying from JFK with a long layover in NRT, and I will want to recover a bit before setting off to see other parts of Malaysia. tls
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
You will be fine then - two days/nights are just right for KL to see/look around. BTW, if you are interested in markets, check Petaling Street Market. I don't know if currently there is the same situation as several years ago, but then it was the prime destination to shop for fake (and good quality) branded handbags and watches.

Just make sure that if you wear backpack, you do wear it in front and none of your valuables are in (easily accessible) pockets.

Last edited by invisible; Jan 14, 2020 at 5:45 am
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by thelostshark
Kuala Lumpur just made the NY Times' list of 52 places to go this year, and they're recommending the Chow Kit district.

the district is home to the country’s largest fresh-produce market, Southeast Asia’s biggest Sikh temple and eclectic new restaurants like the Caribbean-influenced Joloko. Along Jalan Doraisamy, a one-way street that runs off the district’s main artery and was once a popular nightclub strip, reimagined shophouses have become The Row, an enclave of hip stores, art spaces and places to eat and drink."
JL Doraisamy is a three-stop ride from Bukit Bintang monorail station, a couple of dollars Grab ride or maybe 20-minutes' walk (if you are up to such activity!).

Chow Kit proper is an area many visitors see as run down and edgy. In fact it's just Malaysia without the glitz and glamour of the KLCC-type developments. I wouldn't recommend is a stay-in part of the city on a first visit. If you do stay, and prefer "brand" hotels, there's a Sheraton out towards the cited JL Doraisamy area, and a couple of very good value Hilton Garden Inns more centrally situated by Chow Kit market.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The HGIs at Chow Kit are a steal; very good value. Relatively close to Bukit Bintang. There is even a free bus that stops right outside the hotels.

I do not find Chow Kit "run down" or doggy - a perfectly fine but less upscale neighborhood in KL. I would stay there again without hesitation.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the insights on Chow Kit and the other locations. Very much appreciated. tls
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
My wife and I will be spending two days in KL in April coming back home from Mentawai. We were considering staying at the Mandarin Oriental, is that a good choice for a first visit?

We're thinking of going to the Batu Caves and maybe the Central Market on the first day. The second day is pretty open, we're considering a day trip somewhere close like Malacca. We're not really city people so the idea of walking around a big city isn't really appealing to us.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
KL isn't a walking (or, perhaps, walkable) city for the most part. Maybe small neighbourhoods but otherwise...

To me, Malacca deserves at least an overnight visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.