Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kuala Lumpur

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
With only 2 days in KL and if a first time visitor, I would not take a day trip to Malacca which is quite far from KL ( you will spend many hours driving/in a car)
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:39 am

Can anyone advise on transport from the airport, arriving on Emirates from DXB (Dubai)? What are the options for a solo traveller heading to Bukit Bintang (Jalan Alor)?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ft101
Can anyone advise on transport from the airport, arriving on Emirates from DXB (Dubai)? What are the options for a solo traveller heading to Bukit Bintang (Jalan Alor)?
It doen'tmake any difference what arline you arrive on

Taxi/Limo/Grab
Train + taxi or train+LRT/MRT/monorail
Bus + LRT/MRT/monorail or taxi

For a solo traveller a taxi all the way will be a little more expensive than the train+ option, but less clunky. The bus+ is far cheaper, perfectly comfortable and takes about 20 minutes longer than the train (both go to Sentral station).

If you are 2 or more, the train at MYR55 each becomes the most expensive option. 3 or more and its MYR40 each. there's a train + Grab version. It's complicated.

Sentral to BB is relatively easy on public transport .... once you've done it a couple of times! MRT and Monorail go there directy: but the stations are a bit of a trial to get to. LRT is much easier to find but needs a change to MRT at Pasar Seni.

If it'syour first visit a taxi would be the easiest way to go.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:18 am

Thanks.

Reading up about the MRT I see it requires tokens or a Tap and go card. Are there any other options and what are the logistics of using these methods? What is he best option given I'll probably make 3 or 4 trips during my planned time there. Anything else to watch out for?
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Thanks.

Reading up about the MRT I see it requires tokens or a Tap and go card. Are there any other options and what are the logistics of using these methods? What is he best option given I'll probably make 3 or 4 trips during my planned time there. Anything else to watch out for?
The Touch n Go card is similar to London's Oyster card or HK's Octopus card etc. It's a stored value card (useful if you are in Malaysia for more than a few days - you can pay tolls and parking (although there's 10% surcharge if you use it for parking)).

The other option is cash option where you pay your journey as you go. In lieu of a ticket, you get a reusable chip coin from the ticket vending machine. It's just like any other tickets but instead of a paper/plastic ticket, it's a coin. If you are only using public transportation 3-4 times, I wouldn't bother with the Touch N Go card - it requires a RM10 deposit (IIRC).

You can also just change once at KL Sentral if you take the train (KLIA Express) + MRT option. However, the MRT and KLIA Express involves a lengthy walk from KL Sentral KLIA Express station to Muzium Negara MRT Station (~500m but it's all covered and you don't have to go outside).

Take KLIA Express to KL Sentral. Exit through the paid barrier gates, look for signs for MRT SBK (Sungai Buloh-Kajang) Line. Board the MRT towards Kajang direction and Bukit Bintang (where Jalan Alor is) is 3 stops away.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
You can also just change once at KL Sentral if you take the train (KLIA Express) + MRT option. However, the MRT and KLIA Express involves a lengthy walk from KL Sentral KLIA Express station to Muzium Negara MRT Station (~500m but it's all covered and you don't have to go outside).

Take KLIA Express to KL Sentral. Exit through the paid barrier gates, look for signs for MRT SBK (Sungai Buloh-Kajang) Line. Board the MRT towards Kajang direction and Bukit Bintang (where Jalan Alor is) is 3 stops away.
Is connecting to the monorail a better option than the SBK Line? It looks better (less walking) on the diagram I saw, but these things can be misleading. And I recall another line running from the airport beside the KLIA Express Line. Having experienced the Heathrow Express I never trust something with Express in the name, so is it a trade off between speed and price if compared with the regular line or is there more to it?
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
~~

Is connecting to the monorail a better option than the SBK Line? It looks better (less walking) on the diagram I saw, but these things can be misleading. And I recall another line running from the airport beside the KLIA Express Line. Having experienced the Heathrow Express I never trust something with Express in the name, so is it a trade off between speed and price if compared with the regular line or is there more to it?
The other line is KLIA Transit. It runs on the same tracks as KLIA Express; without the stops. The price though is the same (it's calculated based on start/end station). It takes 30 minutes for the express to get from KLIA to KL Sentral, just a bit more on KLIA transit.

Oh you are right, I forgot about the monorail (most people do - as not many people take the monorail). I am sorry. Yes that'd be a slightly shorter walk from KL Sentral MRT station to the KL Sentral monorail station but you'd have to go through a mall (NuSentral) to get from KLIA Express exit to the monorail station (involves a few up and down escalator rides).

The Bukit Bintang is an interchange station (for MRT and monorail), so both works except that the monorail gives you a scenic tour of the city, on a much slower speed compared to the 3 underground stops on MRT.

If you have luggage, I'd recommend taking Grab from KL Sentral to Jalan Alor. Probably cost around RM10 (<$2.50 USD) if isn't raining or during peak hours. The MRT/monorail ride should cost less than RM2 (<$0.50 USD).

Btw, you get a 10% discount if you buy your KLIA Express tickets from the ticket vending machine instead of an attendant.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:42 pm

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by nov11

Btw, you get a 10% discount if you buy your KLIA Express tickets from the ticket vending machine instead of an attendant.
I am wonder whether the Grab offer package with KLIA express still there or not, I recalled that there used to be a RM10 voucher together with ticket.

Else the alternative route will be take KLIA transit to Bandar Tasik Selatan, then Grab to Jalan Alor
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:08 am

Grab offer still mentioned online here:

https://www.kliaekspres.com/grab-promo/
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yikes!
I'm surprised nobody's yet thrown the Putra Heights shuttle into the mix.

taxi all the way IS expensive, might clash with traffic, but it has the blessing of being really easy!

for a singe traveller train is around half the taxi price, but with the faff of changing transport modes it's clunky and could take as long as the taxi

bus is a third of the train fare, goes to the same place (Sentral) but entails a slightly clunkier transfer the the train (you have to go up a level)

If you end up in Sentral (train or bus)
  • don't bother with the monorail. it's simply unpleasant, and the sthe shopping centre does a good job of hiding the station.
  • MRT is the shortest journey, well sign posted, but quite a hike
  • LRT is very close, but you'll have to change (to the MRT) at Pasar Seni (no need for a separate ticket, and the change is basically a short walk and two escalator rides)
  • If you're going to be in KL for a few days, i'd bite the bullet and get a TouchnGo card. It saves time hassle and a tiny, tiny amount on fares.
  • get a taxi

And there IS a Putra Heights Kelana Jaya LRT shuttle which i think is the grand-daddy of budget routes. But best forgotten.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by thelostshark
Thanks very much. BB definitely sounds like a possibility.

Kuala Lumpur just made the NY Times' list of 52 places to go this year, and they're recommending the Chow Kit district. A snippet from the article at the link below

"This year, however, visitors might focus on the neighborhood of Chow Kit, as the recent opening of two hotels delivers a fresh dose of style and energy to the gritty, underappreciated red-light district.
the district is home to the country’s largest fresh-produce market, Southeast Asia’s biggest Sikh temple and eclectic new restaurants like the Caribbean-influenced Joloko. Along Jalan Doraisamy, a one-way street that runs off the district’s main artery and was once a popular nightclub strip, reimagined shophouses have become The Row, an enclave of hip stores, art spaces and places to eat and drink."

KL is #20 on the list.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-to-visit.html
I know you've already gone but for anybody looking for the future, Hotel Stripes in Chow Kit is a beautiful hotel and was very well priced. I walked to Bukit Bintang & KLCC everyday I was there and yes it's hot but it's SEA, what do you expect? There was also an MRT station within about a 5-10 minute walk.

I recommend going to the Petronas Twin Towers, some of the most beautiful skyscrapers I've ever seen and also the Batu Caves. Take a food tour too, it was great to get out of the City Center and out into the suburbs with a guide that actually knew what he was doing.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by siege101
I know you've already gone but for anybody looking for the future, Hotel Stripes in Chow Kit is a beautiful hotel and was very well priced. I walked to Bukit Bintang & KLCC everyday I was there and yes it's hot but it's SEA, what do you expect? There was also an MRT station within about a 5-10 minute walk.
Monorail (Medan Tuanku) and LRT (Dang Wangi) are close, but the MRT could be a bit of hike.
The LRT is only 3 stops from Sentral, where the train and bus arrive from the airport - but while the LRT station is a short distance from the hotel, it might be a complicated first-time walk.
Monorail also goes from Sentral but it's messy to find, and takes forever.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Monorail (Medan Tuanku) and LRT (Dang Wangi) are close, but the MRT could be a bit of hike.
The LRT is only 3 stops from Sentral, where the train and bus arrive from the airport - but while the LRT station is a short distance from the hotel, it might be a complicated first-time walk.
Monorail also goes from Sentral but it's messy to find, and takes forever.
Yes, you're right, I walked to the LRT, not the MRT. The walk was not difficult but you did need to follow the directions. Still, I liked the location, especially for the price.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Did you end up going?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KL back under lockdown

The Klang Valley, which includes Kuala Lumpur, Selangor and Putrajaya are again under a movement control order.

Sabah, too: indeed election-generated movement to, from and within the East Malaysia state are being blamed for an upsurge in infections focused around the capital region in Peninsula Malaysia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.