Wiki Posts
Search

Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:28 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Thank you guys for your input. I booked the QR J $1100 R/T to Kiev, and ended up with my destination as PNH. So I can’t cancel but only prolong the ticket, so long as I won’t be able to enter Cambodia as QR allows.

Hence the reason for all the inquiries about Cambodia. I guess time will tell..
I'd ask again, if you like, in December. Anything before then is just wild speculation, including anything based on government fantasies. It may be possible to buy travel insurance, I suppose.
--
Rich
Old Aug 12, 2021, 4:10 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Cambodia seems to be doing really well with regards to vaccine progress. With current numbers they could have 80% of the population vaccinated within 6-8 weeks. Apart from it being the crappy Chinese vaccines, what am I missing?
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 5:21 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PxC
Cambodia seems to be doing really well with regards to vaccine progress. With current numbers they could have 80% of the population vaccinated within 6-8 weeks. Apart from it being the crappy Chinese vaccines, what am I missing?
This is exactly what I was thinking. People seem so pessimistic about Cambodia but I think it will be fine by the end of this year?
Old Aug 14, 2021, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
This is exactly what I was thinking. People seem so pessimistic about Cambodia but I think it will be fine by the end of this year?
Over the last year these forums have been populated with confident posts voicing the conviction that Argentina/Indonesia/Thailand will surely be open by August/end 2020/summer 2001/ ..... and now early 2022.

I mention those countries only because I'm selfish and they are places I'm anxious to get to.

Sooner or later someone will get it right, but so far there are a lot of disappointed people. You could be right about Cambodia and January ......... or you might become one of the disappointed. It seems to me sensible to mitigate potential loss, but If you are OK with the risk, that's fine.

I can't see the point in canvassing support for your position, it won't make a blind bit of difference to the outcome.

The rest of us are not being pessimistic. We're simple saying that nobody knows how things will pan out, and apart from Thailand's whacky sandbox schemes, there's no precedent on which to base assessments. A few of us have had fingers burned: and so urge caution.
rjh, NWplatinum and DaveS like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 12:56 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Over the last year these forums have been populated with confident posts voicing the conviction that Argentina/Indonesia/Thailand will surely be open by August/end 2020/summer 2001/ ..... and now early 2022.

I mention those countries only because I'm selfish and they are places I'm anxious to get to.

Sooner or later someone will get it right, but so far there are a lot of disappointed people. You could be right about Cambodia and January ......... or you might become one of the disappointed. It seems to me sensible to mitigate potential loss, but If you are OK with the risk, that's fine.

I can't see the point in canvassing support for your position, it won't make a blind bit of difference to the outcome.

The rest of us are not being pessimistic. We're simple saying that nobody knows how things will pan out, and apart from Thailand's whacky sandbox schemes, there's no precedent on which to base assessments. A few of us have had fingers burned: and so urge caution.
Sorry I wasn’t trying to canvas any support. My goal was to try and speak to people who are in Cambodia and get a sense of what is going on there
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry I wasn’t trying to canvas any support. My goal was to try and speak to people who are in Cambodia and get a sense of what is going on there
Cambodia has been eyeing the "sandbox' initiatives for the tourism-dense island of Phuket and Ko Samui, where well-heeled visitors jump through hoops to gain access. In particular the governor of Siem Reap province is said to be promoting a similar scheme focussed on packages to Angkor for later this year. This would be high-end tourism facilitated by suitable "quarantine-friendly" hotel infrastructure, and by access through Siem Reap's international airport. SR/Angkor is the honey-pot of Cambodia's tourism, a source of wealth for the exchequer and for the generals.

Maybe the beach resorts in the south could be configured in a similar fashion, but these are not remote in the way SR is, and international access would have to be through Phon Penh.

It seems quite a gamble to bank on general, unfettered tourism before sometime in 2022. It's one of those things I'll be over-joyed to be wrong about!
Old Aug 15, 2021, 9:12 am
PxC

The difference between those earlier examples and this, is that those earlier examples were unvaccinated countries, and Cambodia will have completed its vaccine program. When you've done that, there isn't much else you can do but open up, or at least start. There shouldn't really be any need for quarantine, just testing and a vaccination requirement.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PxC
The difference between those earlier examples and this, is that those earlier examples were unvaccinated countries, and Cambodia will have completed its vaccine program. When you've done that, there isn't much else you can do but open up, or at least start. There shouldn't really be any need for quarantine, just testing and a vaccination requirement.
Cambodia has done well, but let's not over-egg it. Somewhere over 40% of the population is double-jabbed, but there's nervousness about the efficacy of the Chinese vaccines against the delta-variant, and talk is of a third dose of AstraZeneca. Here the good news is the low income country get access to COVAX, though it's not clear if they'll have contend with the shaky production coming out of Thailand.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:16 am

Cambodia

Cambodia looks to open for fully vaccinated by end of November.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/5096081...YY6Y6lOp4MYYLU

Last edited by imm2b; Oct 28, 2021 at 4:39 am
Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:42 pm
PxC

Originally Posted by imm2b
Cambodia looks to open for fully vaccinated by end of November.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/5096081...YY6Y6lOp4MYYLU
Only part of it it seems, the rest is January or later..
Old Nov 1, 2021, 10:02 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by PxC
Only part of it it seems, the rest is January or later..
Would you please expand on this? What part is yet this year and when in 2022 do you think the rest of Cambodia will reopen?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Would you please expand on this? What part is yet this year and when in 2022 do you think the rest of Cambodia will reopen?
The idea appears to be a phased re-opening on the lines of Thailand (Phuket, Samui) and Indonesia (Bali). The southern beaches will open to foreign visitors by December, with Siem Reap in the new year. Pnomh Penh is anyone's guess: indeed all the details so far announced by Hun Sen could change. It isn't clear if, and how, wider travel within the country will be controlled following entry via the south or through Siem Reap.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:06 am
Community Director Emerita

The idea appears to be a phased re-opening on the lines of Thailand (Phuket, Samui) and Indonesia (Bali). The southern beaches will open to foreign visitors by December, with Siem Reap in the new year. Pnomh Penh is anyone's guess: indeed all the details so far announced by Hun Sen could change. It isn't clear if, and how, wider travel within the country will be controlled following entry via the south or through Siem Reap.
Very helpful. Thank you so much. We hope to return to Phnom Penh next summer but shall wait and see what the government and Covid permits.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:29 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
... southern beaches...
Looks as if the government is making another try at rescuing Sihanoukville after the previous debacle. Wouldn't go anywhere near it, though, Covid or no Covid. Kampot, Kep, different story.
--
Rich
Old Nov 14, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: FB:Plat ALL:Plat
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/5097058...g-up/?p=970585

Latest news, KH is opening up starting 15/11 for fully vaxx people
Mandatory PCR on arrival and quarantine until results arrive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.