Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by Bravada04

I see some talk about the visa situation. I was just planning on taking a couple of pictures with me and doing it at the airport? Is that all I would need, albeit now reading some of the posts it sounds like the e-visa works 100%. We are not going until February so how soon would I have to do that e-visa to make sure we both have it? We are coming from Canada and is there just one site to do this on or numerous sites?
The Cambodian Embassy's webpage should have the correct eVisa information for your country. There are a lot of visa services out there so you do need to be a little careful to make sure it's the official Cambodian government site.

I don't remember if it is good for a certain amount of time from issue or if it's only for the dates you input. But it only takes a couple of days to process so I wouldn't bother doing the application more than a couple of weeks ahead
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:26 am

eVisa is only good for 90 days so don't get it too early.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I eventually got it from the official website. It was quick and less expensive than the private ones.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 6:50 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Is Cambodia reopening anytime soon? I thought I read vaccinated travelers were going to be allowed in?
Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Is Cambodia reopening anytime soon? I thought I read vaccinated travelers were going to be allowed in?
You're being disingenuous

You referenced in a post in the QR forum the article you read. It says ministers are considering whether to allow vaccinated passengers in later this year; if they do so, quarantine might also be required. I suppose they are spurred on by Thailands's crazy Sandbox schemes.

A case of watch this space, but don't hold your breath.

​​​​​​https://www.khmertimeskh.com/5084676...eign-tourists/
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by rjh
Start with Travelfish. That may be all you need. I just came back from my upteenth trip, this one focusing on northern and western border temples. Be careful where you stay in Siem Reap and avoid the so called Pub Street area. Wat Bo area remains ok.

I'd spend several days in Phnom Penh, which is undervalued. I'd avoid Kompong Som/Sihanoukville, which used to be good but has been overwhelmed with gross Chinese development.
--
Rich
I'm just commenting on this old post any case any other folks are interested. I found no problem in the Pub Street area. It was filled with tourists and I didn't see how it would be a problem.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 9:31 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I'm just commenting on this old post any case any other folks are interested. I found no problem in the Pub Street area. It was filled with tourists and I didn't see how it would be a problem.
Just to be clear, my old post and this reply refer to "normal," pre Covid conditions. For current conditions see this from US Embassy in Phnom Penh, which passes on guidance from the Cambodian government. No one knows what things will be like in tourist areas post Covid, if there is such a thing.

The reason not to stay in the Pub Street area is not necessarily personal safety. It's noisy and women are subject to drunken harassment. Up to you, though.
--
Rich
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Were they required to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival? How did the tourists get there? I have a trip for January for only 3 days and I’m hoping things will clear by then but who knows?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 5:21 am

I have to imagine that Cambodia won’t let another tourist season (their winter) go on closed. That’s just too much tourist dollars lost. And the situation there isn’t good, but it doesn’t seem to be dire.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 10:39 pm

For those of you currently in Cambodia now, do you think the government will allow tourists in by January at the current rate? Obviously I have no idea since I am not there and don’t see how things are going.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 11:44 am
rjh

For those of you currently in Cambodia now, do you think the government will allow tourists in by January at the current rate? Obviously I have no idea since I am not there and don’t see how things are going.
The post to which you were replying earlier was referring to the pre Covid state of affairs.

You're right that no one knows, but travel in 2021 or even 2022 seems problematic given trends. I wouldn't book anything that isn't easily 100% refundable.
--
Rich
Old Aug 9, 2021, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by rjh
The post to which you were replying earlier was referring to the pre Covid state of affairs.

You're right that no one knows, but travel in 2021 or even 2022 seems problematic given trends. I wouldn't book anything that isn't easily 100% refundable.
--
Rich
can you expand? I’m not there now and I don’t know anything about “currently”
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:34 am
rjh

can you expand? I’m not there now and I don’t know anything about “currently”
I'm not there either, but in contact with people there so I get anecdotal reports and I read the Phnom Penh Post online. Situation isn't good and while vaccination rate is better than some in SEAsia, but it's not close to covering the general population.

Just reading the news and credible reporting, I can't see travel to a country with poor health care in 2021. Even Thailand, which is doing really poorly with Covid management, but has good health care otherwise seems way too risky. What if you get in a traffic accident and can't get care?
Here's a credible projection that travel to SEAsia generally, except maybe Singapore, in 2021 and probably 2022, isn't probable. I don't like it, but this is the likely reality. Just my opinion since no one knows.
--
Rich
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I have to imagine that Cambodia won’t let another tourist season (their winter) go on closed. That’s just too much tourist dollars lost. And the situation there isn’t good, but it doesn’t seem to be dire.
Sure, the generals would love Angkor to be pumping cash again. I have friends with businesses in Siem Reap, desperate for the return of tourism. But worth considering that maybe the government has other priorities.

I spend a large part of the year in SE Asia. I was on one of the last regular flights out of Kuala Lumpur in 2020, after being in Vietnam and Cambodia, and I haven't been back since. A bunch of cancelled tickets: no trips. Lots of zoom, skype etc, but no trips.

The one bright spot has been the availability of refunds: sometimes a struggle, but they came through.

I resisted the temptation of "back-door" visas to get into Indonesia and Vietnam, and i am making no firm plans to return to the region. Really there's no point. Borders will re-open, and when they do, that'll be the time to make plans and buy tickets.

Probably best not to pin hopes on a 3-month old article. And there's really little point in canvassing the views on the possibility of travel to Cambodia in January. Nobody knows. Inevitably some of the views will be spot on: a stopped clock is right twice a day.

If I were you I'd hang on to my ticket while the opportunity to cash it in exists: but I'd ditch it I see the opportunity to refund was set to expire. Or maybe change it to to a more dependable destination, maybe Europe.
rjh likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 12:55 am

Thank you guys for your input. I booked the QR J $1100 R/T to Kiev, and ended up with my destination as PNH. So I can’t cancel but only prolong the ticket, so long as I won’t be able to enter Cambodia as QR allows.

Hence the reason for all the inquiries about Cambodia. I guess time will tell..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.