FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Cambodia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/1976254-cambodia.html)

Geogirl1234 Jun 30, 2019 5:45 pm

Cambodia

I will be traveling to Cambodia in November 2019 for about 11 days. I haven’t been anywhere in SE Asia although I have traveled extensively in other areas of the world. I know about Anghor Wat but would love suggestions on where else to go for 11 days. FT has always been great for planning other trips in the past so I thought I’d rely on the expertise here...we are two women open to any suggestions. TIA!!!!

rjh Jul 1, 2019 10:22 am

Start with Travelfish. That may be all you need. I just came back from my upteenth trip, this one focusing on northern and western border temples. Be careful where you stay in Siem Reap and avoid the so called Pub Street area. Wat Bo area remains ok.

I'd spend several days in Phnom Penh, which is undervalued. I'd avoid Kompong Som/Sihanoukville, which used to be good but has been overwhelmed with gross Chinese development.
--
Rich

glennaa11 Jul 1, 2019 2:25 pm

This question is probably a bit too open ended. What are you interested in? Can you afford to hire a guide/driver or are you planning to just wing it on your own with tuk tuks? Do you want to spend time seeing a million temples? It's easy to get templed out unless you are really fascinated by them. There are tons of them besides Angkor Wat. Some of the more outlying sights are a good bit less crowded than the main attractions.

My last couple of visits through Phnom Penh I found the traffic to be really unbearable. It's grown tremendously in the last few years.

Nhung Dang Jul 2, 2019 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Geogirl1234 (Post 31256273)
I will be traveling to Cambodia in November 2019 for about 11 days. I haven’t been anywhere in SE Asia although I have traveled extensively in other areas of the world. I know about Anghor Wat but would love suggestions on where else to go for 11 days. FT has always been great for planning other trips in the past so I thought I’d rely on the expertise here...we are two women open to any suggestions. TIA!!!!

Beyond Angkor Sites, Cambodia is a wonderland of beautiful beaches like Koh Rong, Otres Beach, Kep, Koh Rong Sanloem. There is almost no rainfall in the November, the dry season. So beaches are the perfect choices.
Beside the main Angkor sites like Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Bayon Temple, you should take a visit to the rest of ancient temples in Angkor Archaeological Park. It's worth seeing the hidden charm there. And, of course, take advantages of the all-inclusive ticket.
I've never been to Cambodia, hence there's no actual itinerary to recommend for you. Hope you enjoy your trip!!

Bravada04 Jul 2, 2019 6:07 am

Heading here too in February.........Siem Reap first stop for 5 days then onto Phnom Penh for only 3 days.

It is mentioned to stay away from the Pub Street? Any particular reason other than probably just a gong show. We will plan on checking out Angkor Wat but that is it for temple stuff - not very intrigued by them and couldn't imagine looking at temples day after day!

CrazyInteg Jul 2, 2019 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Bravada04 (Post 31261202)
It is mentioned to stay away from the Pub Street? Any particular reason

No. It's just a street of bars, full of tourists, loud music, and flashing lights.

Originally Posted by Bravada04 (Post 31261202)
We will plan on checking out Angkor Wat but that is it for temple stuff - not very intrigued by them and couldn't imagine looking at temples day after day!

There's not much else in Siem Reap for tourists besides "temple stuff". I might even suggest you skip Siem Reap and go some place else that you will enjoy more. Why waste the money? IMO, it's one of the more expensive things to do in SE Asia.

RustyC Jul 2, 2019 9:26 pm

Angkor Wat is to Cambodia what Macchu Picchu is to Peru. You just can't go there and not see it. Though I'm glad I did my 5-6 Cambodia trips in the 1997-2002 timeframe and would likely be shocked and a bit disappointed in spots, though pleased about others (on my first trip the Khmer Rouge were still holding territory, for example).

Cambodia is kind of a rough first place to go if you haven't been elsewhere in Asia, but I'm sure now it's a lot tamer than it was. "Off the rails in Phnom Penh" by Amit Gilboa is a good read about all that if you can find it.

Part of the case for Angkor is that, while it's way too crowded and "ruined" in many ways, that won't be getting any better absent something like another big war. So see it before it gets even more crowded and they finally open the McDonald's. I remember having the overlook peak to myself and having to share the main temple in late afternoon with less than a dozen people or so in early 1997.

You don't want to need health care in Cambodia. I once did need it (food poisoning) and it was nightmarish.

The FCCC in Phnom Penh is an absolute must to visit.

I got to Sihanoukville before the massive development started and got to see the Independence Hotel in ruined glory (mines were a big concern, though).

I suspect that PP could be pleasant in some respects because so many people bypass it now for Siem Reap. Other outposts besides Angkor, PP and Sihanoukville are probably far less changed over the years.

Geogirl1234 Jul 3, 2019 8:18 am

Originally Posted by rjh (Post 31258361)
Start with Travelfish. That may be all you need. I just came back from my upteenth trip, this one focusing on northern and western border temples. Be careful where you stay in Siem Reap and avoid the so called Pub Street area. Wat Bo area remains ok.

I'd spend several days in Phnom Penh, which is undervalued. I'd avoid Kompong Som/Sihanoukville, which used to be good but has been overwhelmed with gross Chinese development.
--
Rich

Thank you for that link. Lots of good information and very helpful!

Originally Posted by glennaa11 (Post 31259227)
This question is probably a bit too open ended. What are you interested in? Can you afford to hire a guide/driver or are you planning to just wing it on your own with tuk tuks? Do you want to spend time seeing a million temples? It's easy to get templed out unless you are really fascinated by them. There are tons of them besides Angkor Wat. Some of the more outlying sights are a good bit less crowded than the main attractions.

My last couple of visits through Phnom Penh I found the traffic to be really unbearable. It's grown tremendously in the last few years.

Sorry to sound so open-ended but I really am not sure what areas of Cambodia I am interested in. I do know that I’d like to see a few temples and learn more about the history of Cambodia (I enjoy museums) but after that I’m not sure. Need to do some more reading. Usually when I travel I like to see a few things a place is known for. I like cities, shopping, eating local food but also seeing less populated areas as well. Also beautiful and unique scenery, enjoy photography.

Originally Posted by RustyC (Post 31263967)
Angkor Wat is to Cambodia what Macchu Picchu is to Peru. You just can't go there and not see it. Though I'm glad I did my 5-6 Cambodia trips in the 1997-2002 timeframe and would likely be shocked and a bit disappointed in spots, though pleased about others (on my first trip the Khmer Rouge were still holding territory, for example).

Cambodia is kind of a rough first place to go if you haven't been elsewhere in Asia, but I'm sure now it's a lot tamer than it was. "Off the rails in Phnom Penh" by Amit Gilboa is a good read about all that if you can find it.

Part of the case for Angkor is that, while it's way too crowded and "ruined" in many ways, that won't be getting any better absent something like another big war. So see it before it gets even more crowded and they finally open the McDonald's. I remember having the overlook peak to myself and having to share the main temple in late afternoon with less than a dozen people or so in early 1997.

You don't want to need health care in Cambodia. I once did need it (food poisoning) and it was nightmarish.

The FCCC in Phnom Penh is an absolute must to visit.

I got to Sihanoukville before the massive development started and got to see the Independence Hotel in ruined glory (mines were a big concern, though).

I suspect that PP could be pleasant in some respects because so many people bypass it now for Siem Reap. Other outposts besides Angkor, PP and Sihanoukville are probably far less changed over the years.

Thank You for your input! Looking forward to reading “Off the Rails...” if I can find a copy.

invisible Jul 3, 2019 10:50 am

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg (Post 31261871)
No. It's just a street of bars, full of tourists, loud music, and flashing lights.

Add to this the dust on streets. Plus 'magic pizza' and some not so benign stuff sold there.

There's not much else in Siem Reap for tourists besides "temple stuff". I might even suggest you skip Siem Reap and go some place else that you will enjoy more. Why waste the money? IMO, it's one of the more expensive things to do in SE Asia.

Question is - is it a good idea to spend all 11 days in Cambodia or to split it with Vietnam for example. Angkor itself can be done in three days and BTW, it is not a cheap place to visit - costs you double of entrance fee Yosemite or Yellowstone for example..

wolfpacktrojan Jul 3, 2019 11:44 am

I agree that Cambodia is a rougher place to start your first Southeast Asian experience, but its definitely doable. My girlfriend's first SEA country was Cambodia when we visited in December 2017, granted we only visited Siem Reap before making are way to other parts of the region. We spent 4 days in Siem Reap and hired a driver for 3 of them to visit the Angkor Temple Complex. Having a air conditioned car really does make a difference if you can budget for it (I think we paid $35 per day), as the novelty of a tuk-tuk will wear off right away in the November heat.

In regards to museums, be sure to visit the land mine museum in Siem Reap to see a different part of Cambodian history.

Pub Street isn't my cup of tea, but I don't think there is a need to avoid it. There's plenty of delicious, cheap, local cuisine if you walk a bit from the main area. I also found some incredible local artists a few streets down that I purchased some paintings from.

CrazyInteg Jul 3, 2019 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 31265852)
Question is - is it a good idea to spend all 11 days in Cambodia or to split it with Vietnam for example.

Depends on what she means by 11 days. 11 full days in SE Asia? Yeah, I'd probably mix in another country. I have no idea what the OP is like, but if she's somewhat young and adventurous, I'd probably do the typical trip. Fly into SGN ($25ish for a visa), spend a couple days in HCMC, then book the tourist bus/boat up to Phnom Penh. Spend a few days there. Then either spend the remaining couple days in Siem Reap, or head down to Sihanoukville and/or neighboring islands. Fly back via Siem Reap or Phnom Penh. That path is beaten pretty smoothly at this point.
Could also substitute HCMC with Kuala Lumpur, Singapore or Bangkok, aka a big city with an international airport.

But if the 11 days includes the day to get there from the US and the day to get back, then I'd just stay in Cambodia. Do some beaches for a few days.

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan (Post 31266019)
November heat.

Ha!

Geogirl1234 Jul 3, 2019 1:59 pm

The 11 days does include flight time. We were thinking about spending some time in Laos. Is that a good idea? I'd like to visit Vietnam for two weeks on another trip.

rjh Jul 3, 2019 7:13 pm

Lao

Originally Posted by Geogirl1234 (Post 31266451)
The 11 days does include flight time. We were thinking about spending some time in Laos. Is that a good idea? I'd like to visit Vietnam for two weeks on another trip.

In Lao, (check Travelfish), I'd spend time, several days, in Luang Prabang and skip Vientiane and Vang Vieng. Kick back. Enjoy life.

In Luang Prabang I'd stay in the old quarter, on the Mekong side. My favorite is Sala Prabang hotel, but you may have other tastes.

rjh Jul 3, 2019 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan (Post 31266019)
Pub Street isn't my cup of tea, but I don't think there is a need to avoid it. There's plenty of delicious, cheap, local cuisine if you walk a bit from the main area. I also found some incredible local artists a few streets down that I purchased some paintings from.

I meant to avoid lodging by Pub Street. It's an ok experience and restaurants are ok. I usually eat at Khmer Kitchen at least once per trip. Miss Wong's is fun. I wouldn't pay a lot at the upscale places like Malis, but that's me.

rjh Jul 3, 2019 7:24 pm

Strong disagreement. Angkor needs, IMO, 3 full days and is unmissable. One day for the small circuit, one for grand circuit, one for Banteay Srei and possibly Kbal Spean. Pace yourself though and get a good guide.

You can come back another time and find much less crowded sites such as Banteay Chhmar, Preah Vihear, or, farther afield, Wat Phu in Lao near Pakxe. In Thailand, there are the really exceptional Phnom Rung, Muang Tam, and Phimai.
--
Rich