Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for flights to Philippines

Suggestions for flights to Philippines

Old Jun 18, 19, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Question Suggestions for flights to Philippines

I live in Rochester NY USA. I could leave from JFK airport or from Toronto air port. I am close to both. Just am looking at the shortest flight to Philippines as this is my first time. Plus I have been looking at different web pages and finding out how to deal with long flights and the time differnce. Just wondering which route would be the best and have at least effect on my body it's my first time so I'm trying to be prepared to be well adjusted to the different time zones not sure if I could handle a 19 hour flight. So the shorter the better for me.
if someone finds this and has any suggestions please let me know, thank you for your time.
Old Jun 20, 19, 3:52 pm

For the PR non-stops to MNL, I'd choose JFK (6am arrival) over YYZ (3:50am arr) to get a reasonable morning start upon arrival and turn in a little early at the end of the day. Try to stay awake and well-hydrated for a the first few hours of the flight, then sleep for the duration afterwards.
Old Jun 20, 19, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, Tate Guarino
I am moving your thread to the Asia Forum, where you will likely receive good advice from many who have done this journey
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 21, 19, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Thank you

Hi how is everyone,
thank you for letting me join the forum,
I just saw my first post. I thought I had said hello to the room first before I asked my question, I'm sorry for my manners,
have a good day everyone
Tate.
Old Jun 21, 19, 12:11 pm

I agree with the above. Toronto and JFK are listed at about the same length anyway, but the arrival time is much better from JFK, so I'd do that.

For long flights over 10 hours I stand in the galley for a good portion of the flight as I get antsy sitting too long. During the middle portion when everyone is asleep, the crew is also not walking around much, so there is plenty of room to do so. I also agree with getting a normal day and then going to bed early that first day. If you can avoid a nap that first day it's helpful to get on schedule. Depending on age, a rest day the second day might be highly useful. My parents now need a very very low key day that second day or they are exhausted for a week. Good luck.
Old Jun 21, 19, 6:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
I have plenty of long distance flights arriving in MNL very early morning (both from Nth America and NZ). I actually prefer a 3:30 arrival as it means less traffic to deal with, but saying that later morning arrivals have not presented an issue of late.

I always have accommodation available on arrival (usually a cheap AirBNB), so on arrival I go straight to sleep for a couple of hours (as I do not sleep on planes-). At about noon, I head out and look for food. Then I go to sleep that night at a 10 or so, and I am back into routine.

I tend to not overthink jet lag etc.
Old Jun 21, 19, 7:52 pm

Programs: QR, AC, EVA, UL and PAL
It also depends on what class of travel do you plan to fly? I normally take Eva out of Toronto but it is not a direct flight and goes via Taipei. It is handy for me because I also get a couple of hours to stretch my legs at the airport in Taipei before taking the connecting flight to Manila.
Old Jun 21, 19, 9:25 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
From YYZ with one stop you can fly BR(TPE) or CX(HKG).
Driving from Rochester to YYZ(<3hrs depending on border wait) is a lot shorter than to JFK.
Old Jun 22, 19, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
In terms of the time offset you've got close to the worst-case scenario on the jet lag. Some people can sleep in difficult situations, but I have a strong circadian rhythm and can only sleep on planes if I'm really tired AND have a wall to lean against (assuming flying in the back...I could probably sleep up front)

If you do get snared the likely scenario is being wide awake at maybe 4 a.m. and just totally crashing around 7 p.m. (as if you'd pulled an all-nighter and it was 9 a.m. or so the next day), and then trying to push the wake-up and crash times 90 minutes or so later progressively over the next 3-4 days.
Old Jun 22, 19, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
FYI: BR on strike since June 20th...

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
From YYZ with one stop you can fly BR(TPE) or CX(HKG).
Not sure how far along OP plans to travel, FWIW, BR expects to cancel 896 flights by the end of June, just when the summer high season kicks off. More than 200K passengers will be affected. I wouldn't be so brave to fly BR recently since we have no idea when the strike will ends.

https://www.evaair.com/en-us/about-e...rmd-news.html#

More discussion on the strike in the master thread over BR Forum:

Flight Attendants Strike Vote