Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection In Colombo

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Connection In Colombo

Before the terrorist attacks my wife and I booked Korean 474 MLE-CMB landing at 5:40 p,m and connecting to Sri Lankan 205 CMB-MCT leaving at 7:25 pm. These are on separate tickets.

This seemed feasible before the attacks and my concern now is that we are cutting it tight. I have never flown into or out of CMB so I have no point of reference. Any insights from the board as to feasibility and proposed work around?
Old May 23, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Los_Pepes
Before the terrorist attacks my wife and I booked Korean 474 MLE-CMB landing at 5:40 p,m and connecting to Sri Lankan 205 CMB-MCT leaving at 7:25 pm. These are on separate tickets.

This seemed feasible before the attacks and my concern now is that we are cutting it tight. I have never flown into or out of CMB so I have no point of reference. Any insights from the board as to feasibility and proposed work around?
This depends on your baggage situation. If you need to enter Sri Lanka, collect bags, check-in for Sri Lankan, then things could get sticky if there is delay to your incoming flight.

Hand-baggage only, and checked-in online, you'll be fine unless there is very significant delay. Airside transfers are pretty straight-forward, although the security line for the bus transfer gates (should your flight be so allocated) can get a bit messy at busy times: but if things get tight, call on the assistance of ground staff to help.
Lefly likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
This depends on your baggage situation. If you need to enter Sri Lanka, collect bags, check-in for Sri Lankan, then things could get sticky if there is delay to your incoming flight.

Hand-baggage only, and checked-in online, you'll be fine unless there is very significant delay. Airside transfers are pretty straight-forward, although the security line for the bus transfer gates (should your flight be so allocated) can get a bit messy at busy times: but if things get tight, call on the assistance of ground staff to help.
Thank you for the time spent helping me.

I think we are going to need to check bags in MLE for our Korean flight as I have little faith my wife would pack light enough for a 10 day trip to allow for a carry on.. I think we are going to need to enter Sri Lanka, collect our bags and check in to our next flight.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Los_Pepes
Thank you for the time spent helping me.

I think we are going to need to check bags in MLE for our Korean flight as I have little faith my wife would pack light enough for a 10 day trip to allow for a carry on.. I think we are going to need to enter Sri Lanka, collect our bags and check in to our next flight.
You might be surprised how much you can take on board. A wheeled cabin-sized case plus another, smaller carry-on, for each of you might be enough. If you are in business-class you might be able to manage more.

Maybe it's not the ideal way to travel, but the alternative you could put to your wife involves a very tense hour or so, with the possibility of being left behind, stuck with negotiating a change to flights/itinerary or possibly having to buy new tickets.

The most likely outcome is that you'll get through on time ......though not without working up a sweat I would certainly let the airline know of your tight connection: they might just shrug, but sensitising them to your predicament can't hurt - and, who knows, they might assist you getting over the hurdles.

Of course, if you haven't already bought the tickets, or have changeable reservations, a later flight, or a night in Colombo, would be other solutions.....
Old May 24, 2019, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Less than two hours between separate tickets would be risky at most airports. IMO you really need to avoid checking bags.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you IAN and MSP. I will see if I can convince her to pack lightly!
Old May 24, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
This would qualify as a very tight connection even during normal times, as check in for your CMB - MCT flight would close literally 15 mins after you land in CMB. I have done the transfer in CMB on separate tickets numerous times in the past (collect bags exit & re-check in) and it takes at least 20 mins. I'm expecting higher wait times and increases security checks in light of recent events.
You could try to approach the transfer desk at CMB airport that's manned by Sri Lankan Airlines staff & if your only with hand luggage as other have recommended, then you could possibly make it.
Else the other option being, as IAN-UK has suggested; breaking journey in CMB for a night. This would involve a ticket change though
Old May 25, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
As others have posted, this is a very tight transfer for CMB if it involves checked baggage, a complete arrival clearance inbound and then a new outbound check in.

The recent terrorist attacks in Sri Lanka aren't relevant here, although its understandable this made you think about the process - this is purely about two separate tickets and the lack of time to get from one flight to another.

Agree with IAN-UK that an overnight (if this can be arranged) would be preferable if you can't get the Korean Airlines staff in MLE to interline the baggage through CMB onto the UL flight.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the insights. We actually booked a new ticket from MLE-CMB on Turkish that gets us in 4 hours before our connection. I am glad that I posed my question here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.