Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maldives Water Bungalows - $300-$500?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Maldives Water Bungalows - $300-$500?

Has any stayed in water bungalows/villas in the Maldives at the $300-$500/night range? I'm trying to plan a trip in June/July 2013, so we'd at least benefit from the lower rates in the offseason. Any recommendations?

I initially wanted to book the Conrad on points, but I'm not confident I'll be able to find availability when I finally have sufficient HHonors points. So now I'm looking at cash options.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:51 am

I know Jetsetter, TravelZoo and a few others constantly have offers on Maldives travel and lodging. We were looking as well, so other input is certainly appreciated.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
I have been to the Maldives almost a dozen times and unfortunately I think it will be very difficult to find overwater bungalows at that price. I stayed both at beach as well as overwater bungalows, I don't think being in a beach bungalow lessens the Maldives experience. On our last trip we stayed at Coco Palm and had a wonderful time, I can highly recommend it. ^
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:00 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I have been researching this like mad recently for an upcoming trip.

There are a few in the under $500 range, but you are looking at very old properties with furniture that looks like a student dorm.

You'd have great success in the $750 - $1250 a night range sadly.

If it is any consolation, water villas at the Four Seasons have gone up about 20% compared to last year so this type of accommodation is in demand. Go now before they go up even more.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I have been researching this like mad recently for an upcoming trip.

There are a few in the under $500 range, but you are looking at very old properties with furniture that looks like a student dorm.

You'd have great success in the $750 - $1250 a night range sadly.

If it is any consolation, water villas at the Four Seasons have gone up about 20% compared to last year so this type of accommodation is in demand. Go now before they go up even more.
Unfortunately I can't go now. This is for a honeymoon next summer. Hoping to book an award stay, but trying to figure out backup options in case there is no availability.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by sk8uno
Unfortunately I can't go now. This is for a honeymoon next summer. Hoping to book an award stay, but trying to figure out backup options in case there is no availability.
Have you looked into Koh Samui, Thailand or Langkawi, Malaysia? These may be good alternatives.

I'd be interested to know what resorts are recommended. I know Anatara and Six Senses are good resorts in Asia, but are there any other suggestions. What areas are better, North or South atolls?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinesescouse
Have you looked into Koh Samui, Thailand or Langkawi, Malaysia? These may be good alternatives.

I'd be interested to know what resorts are recommended. I know Anatara and Six Senses are good resorts in Asia, but are there any other suggestions. What areas are better, North or South atolls?
Thanks, between the two of us we have already been to Langkawi and Koh Samui, so we wanted somewhere new for both of us.

We were able to secure award bookings at the Conrad Rangali, so everything worked out!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:44 am

Thanks, between the two of us we have already been to Langkawi and Koh Samui, so we wanted somewhere new for both of us.

We were able to secure award bookings at the Conrad Rangali, so everything worked out!
Hopefully we'll get to hear a trip review of the Conrad.

Where did you stay in Koh Samui? What were your thoughts?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinesescouse
Hopefully we'll get to hear a trip review of the Conrad.

Where did you stay in Koh Samui? What were your thoughts?
I haven't been to Koh Samui, the fiancee has. And I believe she stayed at a private residence, so no hotel review there. All of my friends who have been loved Koh Samui, for what it's worth.

I have been to Phuket and would not recommend going there for a tropical beach destination. There are far better options in the region (in Thailand alone you have Phi Phi, Pha Ngan, Samui, Tao, etc.).
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:26 pm

I haven't been to Koh Samui, the fiancee has. And I believe she stayed at a private residence, so no hotel review there. All of my friends who have been loved Koh Samui, for what it's worth.

I have been to Phuket and would not recommend going there for a tropical beach destination. There are far better options in the region (in Thailand alone you have Phi Phi, Pha Ngan, Samui, Tao, etc.).
A lot of boutique hotels offer some extremely great products and services, I'm always looking to hear what people thought of their resort. Of course if its a chain that's just as good to know. Private residences are clearly an alternative; but do you get the same type of "pampering"/service?

I agree with you with Phuket. It no longer has the luster that it had 20 years ago. Now it's overrun with ppl who want to party yet be able to get away from the city environment.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've just helped someone organize a honeymoon at the Park Hyatt Maldives. All the units there are villas. There are 3 classes. I won't have the names right, but basically there are those that can be surrounded by vegetation, those on the water and those over the water. If you get the Hyatt credit card, you can get 2 nights of the base villa free. If you get various of the Chase Ink Bold or Chase Sapphire Preferred, you can get 40K or 50K Ultimate Rewards points. (Beware of the minimum spend.) You can transfer these points to Hyatt. One night at the PH Maldives "costs" 22K points. If you want to upgrade to the water's edge you pay $200 per night. People have praised both the property and the snorkeling and scuba diving highly. Be aware that food and excursions are both very expensive. Also, you have to pay to get to the island from Male. That's roughly $500 per person.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html

I'm helping my niece organize her honeymoon in Thailand in November. I had seen rave after rave from FTers about the Conrad Koh Samui. I couldn't find award availability at the entry point when I first checked. Yesterday, after reading the upteenth glowing report, I used the flexible date search tool and found availability. I have a Hilton AMEX card, so was able to get her an AXON award for 4 nights for 145K points.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...esort-spa.html

If you have excellent credit, you can make decisions now about which cards to get to make the honeymoon more affordable.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, SanDiego1K. We actually went the Hilton route instead. We were able to book an award stay at the Conrad Rangali. I was a little worried there wouldn't be availability, which is why I started this thread for backup options. But it looks like that won't be necessary!

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've just helped someone organize a honeymoon at the Park Hyatt Maldives. All the units there are villas. There are 3 classes. I won't have the names right, but basically there are those that can be surrounded by vegetation, those on the water and those over the water. If you get the Hyatt credit card, you can get 2 nights of the base villa free. If you get various of the Chase Ink Bold or Chase Sapphire Preferred, you can get 40K or 50K Ultimate Rewards points. (Beware of the minimum spend.) You can transfer these points to Hyatt. One night at the PH Maldives "costs" 22K points. If you want to upgrade to the water's edge you pay $200 per night. People have praised both the property and the snorkeling and scuba diving highly. Be aware that food and excursions are both very expensive. Also, you have to pay to get to the island from Male. That's roughly $500 per person.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html

I'm helping my niece organize her honeymoon in Thailand in November. I had seen rave after rave from FTers about the Conrad Koh Samui. I couldn't find award availability at the entry point when I first checked. Yesterday, after reading the upteenth glowing report, I used the flexible date search tool and found availability. I have a Hilton AMEX card, so was able to get her an AXON award for 4 nights for 145K points.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...esort-spa.html

If you have excellent credit, you can make decisions now about which cards to get to make the honeymoon more affordable.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 5:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

We were able to book an award stay at the Conrad Rangali. I was a little worried there wouldn't be availability, which is why I started this thread for backup options. But it looks like that won't be necessary!
Enjoy! It is a beautiful property.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:16 pm

Thanks, SanDiego1K. We actually went the Hilton route instead. We were able to book an award stay at the Conrad Rangali. I was a little worried there wouldn't be availability, which is why I started this thread for backup options. But it looks like that won't be necessary!
Hi,

How were you able to book a Water Villa using points? How many did it cost?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kidrah
Hi,

How were you able to book a Water Villa using points? How many did it cost?
We booked a beach villa using points, then paid cash to upgrade to a water villa (the upgrade options were very reasonable).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.