Reload this Page >

TPE layover questions [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TPE layover questions [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019 | 7:20 am

Could you provide us with the layover times and also a short list of what kind of things you may be interested in?
Old Sep 17, 2019 | 2:56 pm
50 Countries Visited100 Nights

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Could you provide us with the layover times and also a short list of what kind of things you may be interested in?
Arrival into TPE 0600 and departing 2320 same day.

Museums, Markets, Parks I like fine dining, but I sense local food would be a better option. Architecture from history perspective so Taipei 101 to me is just another tall building coming from Chicago.

What I don't see going to BNE, I can catch coming back through. I'll be booking a day room at the W so I have a place to shower and relax if I desire too.
Old Sep 18, 2019 | 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Local night markets for Taiwan street food would be a must-do for you. However, you might need to do one that can get you via trains back to the airport for your departure in a timely manner as you need to check-in and deal with exit immigration and security.

Museums? National Palace Museum, period.

Chicago might have a few famous towers but they do not have earthquake neutralization technologies. While 101 looks like any major tower outside you won't see anything like it on the inside in the Windy City.
Old Sep 19, 2019 | 5:32 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Local night markets for Taiwan street food would be a must-do for you. However, you might need to do one that can get you via trains back to the airport for your departure in a timely manner as you need to check-in and deal with exit immigration and security.

Museums? National Palace Museum, period.

Chicago might have a few famous towers but they do not have earthquake neutralization technologies. While 101 looks like any major tower outside you won't see anything like it on the inside in the Windy City.
Thank you. I'll look into which night market might afford me the best opportunity to visit. I'll probably visit a market on the way back to Chicago since I could rebook if need be.

I'll visit 101 just for that reason and appreciate the information provided.
Old Sep 19, 2019 | 2:39 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: most of them
if you have the legs for it a climb up Elephant Mountain near sunset is great for the view over the city with all of the lights coming on
Old Sep 20, 2019 | 1:32 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I really enjoyed the Taipei Zoo and trains are quite good here.
Old Sep 20, 2019 | 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ords
Arrival into TPE 0600 and departing 2320 same day.

Museums, Markets, Parks I like fine dining, but I sense local food would be a better option. Architecture from history perspective so Taipei 101 to me is just another tall building coming from Chicago.

What I don't see going to BNE, I can catch coming back through. I'll be booking a day room at the W so I have a place to shower and relax if I desire too.
The government offers a free 1/2 day tour: Free Half-Day Tour

However, since you will be at the W already, that area / Elephant Mountain are good. Otherwise, that whole area is basically a new shopping area. The Taipei 101 does have a damper inside it and it is kind of cool to check out if you find architecture interesting.

The nearest larger night market is probably the Rao He Market: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ct_Taipei.html (there are others near by).

Of course, there is Ding Tai Fung but the queue can make planning difficult.

The W is kind of out of the way. If you are a Marriott/SPG person, there is a FourPoint at Linkou along the way of the Airport Express (Taoyuan Metro) that might be more convenient.
Old Sep 20, 2019 | 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Architecturally, the "new old style buildings" that are kind of cool are the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial (and the Concert Hall / Theater in front of it) + the Grand Hotel. The "old old style buildings" are probably the temples.

In the Xin-Yi district where the W is, there is that twisting building (a residential building that is super expensive):
- probably a 5 minute walk from the W.
Old Sep 23, 2019 | 5:22 am

Thank you all for the helpful information. I'll rethink my location to stay based on my plans each way.
Old May 1, 2023 | 4:48 pm
5 Years on Site

TPE Layover - Sat 23:20 to Sun 22:00

Flying from Tokyo -> TPE -> IAH next year with a long layover at TPE.

1. Are there storage lockers available for our personal item & carry on luggage at TPE? We do not have any checked bags.
2. If wanting to explore Taipei, I believe visa exemption applies with my US Passport, but I'll still have to go through passport control to exit TPE, correct?
3. Given the flight arrival at 23:20 and having to go through passport control, any idea how long that would take before I exit the airport?
4. What's available on a Saturday night at that hour? Any night markets or late night shenanigans' to check out?
5. Recommendations on a place to nap/sleep for a few hours before exploring the city during the day?
Old May 1, 2023 | 8:40 pm
15 Years on Site

Transit tours are resuming : https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202304280019
Old May 3, 2023 | 9:09 am
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by FufuBobo
Flying from Tokyo -> TPE -> IAH next year with a long layover at TPE.

1. Are there storage lockers available for our personal item & carry on luggage at TPE? We do not have any checked bags.
2. If wanting to explore Taipei, I believe visa exemption applies with my US Passport, but I'll still have to go through passport control to exit TPE, correct?
3. Given the flight arrival at 23:20 and having to go through passport control, any idea how long that would take before I exit the airport?
4. What's available on a Saturday night at that hour? Any night markets or late night shenanigans' to check out?
5. Recommendations on a place to nap/sleep for a few hours before exploring the city during the day?
1. Yes. Also available at Airport MRT Taipei station if you decide to get into town.
2. Yes.
3. I would assume most pax from late arriving flights are Taiwan passport holders, so you shouldn't have to wait for too long (15 minutes maybe?)
4. Night markets would mostly have been closed by 10/11pm.
5. Many lower-end business hotels have day rooms (especially those near Taipei Station) but might not accept reservations. You can also just book a regular room at a budget/youth hotel near the train station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.