Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

TPE layover questions [merged thread]

TPE layover questions [merged thread]

Old May 15, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
I love Taipei. As one of my good friend put it, Taipei is the clean and polite version of a Chinese big city. The history is rich and diverse. It has the best museum for Chinese arts. The food scene is as wonderful as Singapore. There are wonderful parks to hike. I don't shop. However, for those who love to shop, it is a great place to shop. Taiwanese Scotch is world renown. It is one of the best Chinese cities to visit temples. The list just goes on. IMHO, it is the best Chinese city to spend a few days. Taiwan is a wonderful place to spend a couple of weeks. I go to Taipei any chance I get.
+1. I spent 4.5 days there in January and loved it. I'm going to be in Vietnam in July, and I'm intentionally routing myself home through Taiwan. This time though, I'm going to spend 2 days in Kaohsiung.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I don't shop. However, for those who love to shop, it is a great place to shop.
If pottery is your cup of tea, per se , Ying-ge is a charming pottery town with Japanese origins located about 20 minutes by car from TPE. Thats about the only notable place near the airport without going into Taipei city proper that I can think of. The other nice diversion from travel that might be worth considering is Wulai falls and hot springs in the far southern outskirts of Taipei. Its physically not that far from TPE, but youd probably need an hour to get there because of the mountainy roads.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by tvhead
I may get flamed for saying this, but Taipei is not rich in culture or history.
You won't be flamed for saying that - you'll be rightly criticized.

The food scene is as wonderful as Singapore.
I would actually say that Taipei food is superior to that in Singapore, as Taipei has strong farm-to-table options. Singapore can't compete with that.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by tvhead
may get flamed for saying this, but Taipei is not rich in culture or history.
And there is a Tim Ho Wan dumpling outlet close to Main Station as well.
Originally Posted by gengar
You won't be flamed for saying that - you'll be rightly criticized.
That and calling THW a dumpling outlet shows ignorance of Chinese and Tawan culture.

The food scene is as wonderful as Singapore.
Originally Posted by gengar
I would actually say that Taipei food is superior to that in Singapore, as Taipei has strong farm-to-table options. Singapore can't compete with that.
Singapore has many tables, I did not remember seeing any farm.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by tentseller
That and calling THW a dumpling outlet shows ignorance of Chinese and Tawan culture.
I may be in the minority, but I was not impressed with THW in Tapei.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by eneq
I may be in the minority, but I was not impressed with THW in Tapei.
Many agree with you about THW in Taipei, just like DTF in the US.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:48 pm

5-6 hour layover in TPE

Is it possible to get into downtown and have some beef noodles or pork chop rice with a 10 (previously, it was just 5-6) hour layover? I like Taiwanese food a lot, but dislike airport dining. I will arrive from BKK on TG and depart on AC to YVR. I don't need a visa for Taiwan, if that matters. My bags will be checked through.

I know there is an express train to downtown...will this take me to some restaurants that serve decent food? I won't bother to do any sightseeing or shopping.

Thanks.

Last edited by Barkinpark; Aug 3, 2019 at 9:02 pm Reason: Now, there is a flight that allows 10 hour layover
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:17 pm

The Airport Express MRT Line runs every 15 minutes, it take around 40 minutes from the airport terminal 2 to Taipei Main Station. From Taipei Main Station you can take the MRT (or walk) to the Ximen Area there are a lot of restaurants there and it's within a 15 min walk of Taipei Main Station. My favorite Beef Noodle Place is nearby, the address is No. 15, Taoyuan Street Zhongzheng Dist., Taipei City.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:37 pm

Thank you for your quick reply.
Other than downtown Taipei, are there small towns nearby with quick MRT access that I can visit? Again, I am only interested in food.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:00 pm

Wow, since I made the first posting, I found an award flight that allows a 10-hour layover (starting from 6:50am). I guess this should be absolutely safe, correct?

5 hours may be very tight...
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Barkinpark
Wow, since I made the first posting, I found an award flight that allows a 10-hour layover (starting from 6:50am). I guess this should be absolutely safe, correct?

5 hours may be very tight...
10 hours will be safe, 5 is pretty tight. There are other cities closer to the airport, Taoyuan City being the one closest to the airport, New Taipei City being a little further away but on the MRT airport link. I can't advice as to places to eat as i have not explored either, but i'm sure there will be others that have suggestions in those areas and Beef noodle stands are pretty easy to come by, although the quality varies substantially.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:39 am

Thanks. Any suggestions for pork chop over rice?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:05 am

10h is ample time to head to Taipei. I'd think about what you might be interested in seeing first. There will always be a lot of eating options in the vicinity.

The area around Taipei Main Station (where the airport MRT terminates) has an abundance of places to eat, although this might not necessarily be the best food in Taipei.

Three things to consider:
  • Most restaurants only open 10-11 am, before that time there are breakfast shops
  • 12-1 pm is lunch time, gets crowded everywhere
  • Many restaurants are closed 2(:30)-5(:30) pm

In your situation, what would probably work best is to grab a quick snack once you arrive, do some sightseeing, and then plan for a proper lunch around 1 pm, heading for the airport afterwards.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Even with 10 hours, I would just stay within the vicinity of Taipei Main Railway Station. The station itself has a terrific food court on the second floor, with a wide variety of vendors. It's worth a look even if you plan to venture elsewhere. The terminus of the Taoyuan MRT connects to the Main Railway station via an underground mall. There aren't as many notable eateries down there, however. The south side of the station leads to the original, Japanese-era downtown. Nowadays, that neighborhood is filled with college-prep and TOEFL academies, and the food choices there run the gamut from lots of trendy eateries to a few old-school holdouts (such as Astoria Cafe, a White Russian restaurant with roots to prewar Shanghai, and a corner stand serving umeboshi punch--the precursor of boba tea--across the street from 228 Peace Park).

As for pork chop rice, IMO a full Taiwan experience isn't complete without having a TRA ekiben (railroad bento box made/sold by the Taiwan Railway Admin.) at least once. There is a TRA ekiben shop across from the ticket windows and entrance to the train tracks on the underground level.
Taipei and PAX_fips like this.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Aug 5, 2019 at 10:27 pm
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:50 am

17 hour layover in TPE

Flying ORD-TPE-BNE-TPE-ORD on BR and booked long layovers to visit Taipei. This is my first time visiting the city itself.

I'll do my own research and will book a day room both ways. However, given the amount of time I have, are there any off the beaten path places one needs to visit?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.