Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

TPE layover questions [merged thread]

TPE layover questions [merged thread]

Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by taipeipeter
I think a 5 a.m. airport bus would be fine--certainly at the airport by 6.
In the case of the Evergreen Bus (perhaps others) it comes from the airport, stops at a number of locations in the city dropping off and picking up before heading back to the airport. If you board on one of its early stops then it can be a good while before you actually get out of Taipei. I think when I boarded at Shuanglien MRT (Chungho line) it was about 30mins before it finally got onto the freeway so the total time was about 1hr 15mins.

Yep, city centre to the airport is often around 45mins, but it it worth checking how many more stops the bus has to make after yours.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by npei
You may also want to check out re-routing if possible from PVG-TPE to PVG-TSA (downtown Taipei airpt), since TSA is accessible by MRT and you are 15 min. by MRT from many tourist attractions in Taipei
Most flights to TSA from Shanghai depart from SHA, not PVG.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I had a 5 hour stopover in TPE and did the taxi to Taipei 101 and back run. It was a little tight then expected because there was a 30 minute wait to go up to the top of the tower.

On the subject of English, when I got into the taxi at Taipei 101 to go back to the airport, the driver didn't understand "airport." I tried saying airport over and over (not very productive) and added Taoyuan, and made airplane sounds and signals with my arms, and showed him my boarding pass.

Finally he called someone who spoke English and then handed me the phone so I could tell her I wanted to go to the airport.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 6:58 am

Just say "fay-gee-jang" and perhaps add Taoyuan so they don't think you're talking about Songshan Airport.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jphripjah
the driver didn't understand "airport." I tried saying airport over and over (not very productive)
You should have spoken louder and he would have gotten it
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timeasterday
Just say "fay-gee-jang" and perhaps add Taoyuan so they don't think you're talking about Songshan Airport.
The last character has a CH sound, not a J sound.

Gee-Chang (or Fei-Ji-Chang) = Airport
Gee-Jang = Captain

Tao-Yuan-Ji-Chang would do. As I said on the last post, if they don't understand you, just speak louder
Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by jphripjah
made airplane sounds and signals with my arms, and showed him my boarding pass.
That usually does the trick! If the guy can't get that, he probably can't get foreigner-mandarin.

I always have a merry band of friends on my mobile if I get stuck. On one occasion it was 4am... so I called a mainland friend in London. She had never been to Taiwan, but it was all sorted!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jimbo99
That usually does the trick! If the guy can't get that, he probably can't get foreigner-mandarin.

I always have a merry band of friends on my mobile if I get stuck. On one occasion it was 4am... so I called a mainland friend in London. She had never been to Taiwan, but it was all sorted!
With back and forth changes to my itinerary I never did make it to Taipei this trip.

There is good information in this thread though.... and now we know that the sun never sets on jimbo's merry band of friends.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by lin821
I "think" Jamaldo was referring to these (sampled) threads about TPE layover:

9 hours in TPE: should I bother?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...a-layover.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...e-layover.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...erlap-tpe.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...-tpe-help.html

Depending on how you like to spend your day, you may also want to check in the following selective threads for one-day trips in Taipei:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...ay-taipei.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...me-taipei.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...ay-taipei.html

There are more TPE/Taipei threads but not geared towards less-than-a-day visits.

International arrivals at TSA (Songshan airport) is quite recent (April or May this year) and only operate with certain paired international cities in Japan and China. If you somehow can manage to get in from TSA, it'll definitely save you time on transportation, and render more hours for city/food exploration.

Songshan airport is on MRT route and near Songshan Railroad Station. Taipei Main Station is a very busy place (maybe not during 5:00 am ) and tourists can easily get lost with our much-to-be-desired signs. I don't think a hotel near Taipei Main Station will be inconvenient, but if I were you, I probably would look for something near Songshan District, Daan District, and/or Xinyi District. As a matter of fact, any hotel near MRT stations is fine since MRT is a lifesaver when touring Taipei.

For the time being, if I were you, I'd take MRT over buses. Taipei MRT runs very frequently, on time, and no traffic jam. Except the transfer stops/stations get quite crowded during rush hours (around 17:00- 19:00). Get yourself an EasyCard (i.e. Yo-Yo Card 悠遊卡) for riding MRT and buses. Most convenient stores (7-Elevens, Family Mart..etc) and certain retailers take Yo-Yo Card but not credit card. Yo-Yo card is reloadable in NTD$100 increments. IIRC, no expiration date on the card.

Both Daan and Xinyi Districts are "newer" areas than Taipei Main Station, which is located in Zhongzheng District (the old downtown) and close to Wanhwa Districts. If you pick a hotel near Taipei Main Station, you get to explore Ximenting, Longshan Temple and night markets in Wanhwa District.

If you stay near Songshan, Daan or Xinyin District, you get to see "East District" on Zhongxia E. RD, Wufenpu, Raohe Street Night Market, Shida Night Market, and/or Tonghwa Night Market.

After reviewing previous discussion threads on TPE/Taipei, you may want to follow up in thread with your specific liking so folks in the know can give you more tailored suggestions. Welcome to Taipei!

ETA:
Just saw Jamaldo's remark on night markets. Does Shihlin Night Market have its own special small eats? Yes, but I won't pick Shihlin Night Market as the go-to night market in Taipie. Speaking as a local, Shihlin is overrated and has been "taken over" by Chinese tourists. It shows in the way the vendors do and promo their business.

There's a recent survey done in the local that the variety of food in Shihlin Night Market is far worse than any other named night markets in Taipei. Even the much smaller Tonghwa Night Market, my old neighborhood night market, gets better review than Shihlin. No doubt, Shihlin is a big name night market but its "popularity" is also due to physical proximity to National Palace Museum. Easier for visitors to drop by after the museum.

I rank Raohe Street, Shihda, Hwaxi Street, Gongang, and Tonghwa Night Markets higher than Shihlin. As a matter of fact, I strongly recommend any international visitor to see Raohe Street Night Market for their debut night market exploration in Taiwan.
Alright, I'm sorry for resurrecting this thread from the graveyard, but it's the most applicable one I could find I read through all the links in the thread, very helpful! But the most recent one was still quite old so I'm just wondering if anything's changed recently with respect to this!

My situation is that I'm landing at 5:10pm and departing at 11:40pm, so I have a solid 6.5h of a layover. Now I COULD spend this all at the lounge... but I'm not sure I want to do that. Is it still ~an hour each way for transit, and being ~an hour early before departure should be okay? I have a visa-exempt passport for what it's worth. Thanks!
Old May 30, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Alright, I'm sorry for resurrecting this thread from the graveyard, but it's the most applicable one I could find I read through all the links in the thread, very helpful! But the most recent one was still quite old so I'm just wondering if anything's changed recently with respect to this!

My situation is that I'm landing at 5:10pm and departing at 11:40pm, so I have a solid 6.5h of a layover. Now I COULD spend this all at the lounge... but I'm not sure I want to do that. Is it still ~an hour each way for transit, and being ~an hour early before departure should be okay? I have a visa-exempt passport for what it's worth. Thanks!
Biggest change is the airport MRT is now operational and you can get from TPE to main station in under 40 minutes express or 10 to 15 minutes longer with the commuter train making transit more dependable especially during rush hour. I haven't taken it yet but will in a few weeks to check it out.

Also the renovated Shihlin Night Market opened sometime around the original post but I would still agree with checking out the other ones. I still always make a trip to Shihlin once or twice during every trip since I stay in Beitou.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:59 pm

The Shilin Night Market has undergone quite a lot of gentrification recently. Some might prefer the new, sanitized overhaul but unfortunately it's much less like a traditional night market experience than what it used to be just a couple of years ago.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90

might be a little bit tight. Immigration these days at T1 or T2 is gonna take a while for foreigners. Say you need an hour to clear and an hour for departure procedures, that's 4 hours left for you.

Taking airport MRT from TPE to Taipei Main station takes about 40-50 min each way, with that you only have 2+ hours for free time.

If you really intend to do so, my suggestion is walk around the Xi Men Ting (西門町) area. Lots of vibe, young people, and some good stuff to eat.

Or, you can just take a look at the string of stores beneath the Taipei Main Station MRT station. Some foods and little things to buy.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:20 am

There is now an airport rail link between Taipei Taoyuan Airport and Taipei railway station. Far better than a taxi or bus.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by railways1
There is now an airport rail link between Taipei Taoyuan Airport and Taipei railway station. Far better than a taxi or bus.
Depends upon your destination. I was quite pleased taking the bus to Grand Hyatt but enjoyed the Airport MRT as well.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by railways1
Yup, just recently took the train to TPE city and it was very easy and quick

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.