Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires to Montevideo

Old Aug 16, 09, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

I will be in Buenos Aires for next year in summer (winter for S. Hemisphere) 2010. I would like to spend a couple days in Montevideo since it is so close. Is it worth flying from EZE to Montevideo? If so, which airlines fly there, and how long does the flight take (economy or business)? If there are other options, are they reliable or efficient, or even worth using other methods than flying?
Old Aug 16, 09, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
American Airlines flies the MVD-EZE route.

As does Pluna from AEP - takes only half an hour and is better than taking the ferry.
Old Aug 16, 09, 6:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by AjedrecístaBritánico View Post
how long does the flight take (economy or business)?
The flight time is a very short 45 minutes or so and is the same whether you fly in economy or business although in the latter case you will be off the plane a bit quicker Pluna only has economy class so if you want to travel that route in business you'll have to fly AA

If there are other options, are they reliable or efficient, or even worth using other methods than flying?
Buquebus is a reliable and efficient alternative. You can check out their site at www.buquebus.com
Old Aug 16, 09, 6:32 pm

Pluna flights from AEP are much more convenient than AA from EZE... by the time you count extra time to get to EZE (35-45 minutes versus at most 15-20 minutes), longer check-in times (international airport timing versus domestic/regional airport timing), more queueing (security, immigration), and I even think higher airport taxes... the experience from EZE can feel a bit as though you've wasted the time it might have taken to go by ferry on the ground.

I've done both and I would (and have) repeated the Pluna flights. As for the EZE flights, I got sucked in once by an $89 r/t on UA, only to feel that it was a huge amount of time being "processed" and when I saw that airport taxes (paid at the airport in those times) might have been $30-40 more roundtrip, the "savings" of the low fare were quickly erased.
Old Aug 16, 09, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

So only half hour flight? That does not sound bad. Someone also told me Aerolíneas also flies EZE-MVD-do they still do this? How is the ferry? I assume it is bad for the seasick?
Old Aug 16, 09, 8:16 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/10.2.012; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) WicKed/7.1.12344)

The ferry is harmless.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Aug 16, 09 at 8:18 pm
Old Aug 16, 09, 8:17 pm

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/10.2.012; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) WicKed/7.1.12344)

AjedrecistaBritanico... are you seriously considering flying to MVD in Business...?
Old Aug 16, 09, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Economy...I usually interchange economy and business.
Old Aug 16, 09, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

And if not...what is the ferry like? Is it like a yacht with first class, second class, etc.?
Old Aug 17, 09, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if not...what is the ferry like? Is it like a yacht with first class, second class, etc.?
Do a search for "ferry" in this forum and you will find plenty of information. I took the ferry from BA to MVD in March and thought it was a breeze. I noticed a bit of movement but it wasn't bad and nobody appeared to be seasick. Just make sure you get the ferry that goes all the way to MVD and not one of the many others that go to Colonia with a bus transfer the rest of the way.
Old Aug 17, 09, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
The buque rapido ferry to Colonia is less than an hour (worth trundling around for a few hours), then bus to M. It would be a good tourist way of getting there. You could fly back to BA. Best of both worlds.

Why not pop into Waterstones and browse a guide book? All the basic stuff like this is covered in some detail.
Old Aug 17, 09, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I gave you the link to the Buquebus website in Post#3? All you have to do is click on it. Did you even bother to check it out? It has details of their entire fleet complete with photos, passenger capacity, maximum speed and anything else you could possibly want to know. /Spoonfeeding

Last edited by britenbsas; Aug 17, 09 at 10:04 am Reason: .
Old Aug 17, 09, 12:35 pm

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Originally Posted by britenbsas
I gave you the link to the Buquebus website in Post#3? All you have to do is click on it. Did you even bother to check it out? It has details of their entire fleet complete with photos, passenger capacity, maximum speed and anything else you could possibly want to know. /Spoonfeeding
+1

Search this Thread