FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Best steak house in Buenos Aires (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/796889-best-steak-house-buenos-aires.html)

Gaucho100K Jun 17, 2008 7:04 pm

Dont worry about attire.... unless you walk up in flip flops and a micro bikini.... its basically impossible that you will be turned back (provided you either look like or can prove you are a tourist).

FlyerJack Jul 3, 2008 6:10 pm

Parillas

Two good restaurants to sample great parilla:

1. El Obrero, Agustín R. Caffarena 64 (La Boca)
2. Parilla 1880, Defensa 1665 (San Telmo)

Two simple and cheap options, but equally great.

TrishBOS Jul 7, 2008 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJack (Post 9979762)
Two good restaurants to sample great parilla:

1. El Obrero, Agustín R. Caffarena 64 (La Boca)
2. Parilla 1880, Defensa 1665 (San Telmo)

Two simple and cheap options, but equally great.

We absolutely love El Obrero. It's certainly not easy to find but some of the best food in the city. We usually get a couple of pasta entrees and a bottle of wine for practically no money. It is, without a doubt, the best Italian I've ever had outside of Italy. There are numerous tourists since it has been named in a few of the guidebooks but definitely far off the beaten path.

Gaucho100K Jun 14, 2009 8:07 pm

This thread deserves a bump....

tcook052 Jun 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Since the Tryp Buenos Aires is giving me free internet I´ll take a moment to throw my recommendation into the mix, which is for a wonderful little gem called La Cholita, Rodriguez Peña 1165, Recoleta. I went on the basis of a mention in the DK Eyewitness Top 10 Buenos Aires guidebook and the quality, price and ambiance totally blew me away. A 90 minute leisurely meal including appetizer, meain steak course, dessert and alcohol all came to around CAD$22.00! :eek: It was so good I think I´m heading there tonight again. ^

Note if your a gringo like me and are used to eating a little earlier than the locals, La Cholita opens early as I ate at 6:30 pm and the guidebook says it opens at noon daily. GReat staff and the English spoken by the friendly wait staff was good too. And that´s my steak house recommendation. :)

Gaucho100K Jun 21, 2009 2:08 pm

Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Thanks for the Cholita review... I will have to check it out.

JDiver Jun 21, 2009 6:28 pm

BTW, matambre is called hanger or skirt steak in the US. De verdad mata hambre... ;) (It really kills hunger.)

And a P.S. - I again want to extend mis sinceras gracias for Gaucho100K's and others' contributions to this Forum - it certainly makes Argentina easier for those who haven't been (and if you haven't been, you should go... soon!)

Gaucho100K Jun 22, 2009 7:32 pm

Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x320)

mmmmmm..... matambre !!!

Flying Machine Jun 22, 2009 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 11936019)
Since the Tryp Buenos Aires is giving me free internet I´ll take a moment to throw my recommendation into the mix, which is for a wonderful little gem called La Cholita, Rodriguez Peña 1165, Recoleta. I went on the basis of a mention in the DK Eyewitness Top 10 Buenos Aires guidebook and the quality, price and ambiance totally blew me away. A 90 minute leisurely meal including appetizer, meain steak course, dessert and alcohol all came to around CAD$22.00! :eek: It was so good I think I´m heading there tonight again. ^

Note if your a gringo like me and are used to eating a little earlier than the locals, La Cholita opens early as I ate at 6:30 pm and the guidebook says it opens at noon daily. GReat staff and the English spoken by the friendly wait staff was good too. And that´s my steak house recommendation. :)

And on the same street is Parilla Pena i think 682 or 632 way to go for lunch. Best lunch I had in BA as a solo diner.. Tiera de Asado.. Muy sabrosito..

ziobacio Jun 28, 2009 1:58 pm

La Cholita

Another vote for La Cholita, although I hope this doesn't lead to crowds at one of our favorite places.

We spend a month in Bs As each year (our summer, their winter) to escape the TX heat, and are headed back in late August. We rent an apartment a few blocks from La Cholita and eat there often. In fact, here's a photo from last year. La Cholita

A great lunch for my wife and me is a couple of steak sandwiches and a liter of Stella Artois. It looks like this.

Next door is Cumana, also excellent food.

justmeagain Jun 28, 2009 3:21 pm

just a few experiences I've had:

First place I went to was Las Nazarenas since it was close by to the hotel. I got bife de lomo and it was pretty good. Service was somewhat questionable. I went a second time about 2 days later and go the bife de chorizo and wasn't good at all. Plus the service seemed to be even worse than before. I wouldn't really recommend this place.

After the first 2 visits to Las Nazarenas, I went to La Brigada in San Telmo. It was absolutely wonderful. Service was excellent and waiters gave me a good laugh, steak was awesome (got bife de chorizo), the dessert - dulce de leche pancakes (forgot the Spanish name for it) was to die for. It was a comfortable environment.

Last 2 visits I went to El Establo and would definitely recommend this place as well. First visit here I got the bife de lomo and was very tender. Second time I go bife de chorizo and was very flavorful. Service is excellent and the environment is very comfortable/casual.

Eastbay1K Jun 28, 2009 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by justmeagain (Post 11982678)
just a few experiences I've had:

First place I went to was Las Nazarenas since it was close by to the hotel. I got bife de lomo and it was pretty good. Service was somewhat questionable. I went a second time about 2 days later and go the bife de chorizo and wasn't good at all. Plus the service seemed to be even worse than before. I wouldn't really recommend this place.

After the first 2 visits to Las Nazarenas, I went to La Brigada in San Telmo. It was absolutely wonderful. Service was excellent and waiters gave me a good laugh, steak was awesome (got bife de chorizo), the dessert - dulce de leche pancakes (forgot the Spanish name for it) was to die for. It was a comfortable environment.

Last 2 visits I went to El Establo and would definitely recommend this place as well. First visit here I got the bife de lomo and was very tender. Second time I go bife de chorizo and was very flavorful. Service is excellent and the environment is very comfortable/casual.

I agree with you for the most part. Las Nazarenas I thought was "expensive" for what it was - even though in real terms, it wasn't. Particularly the wine list, but maybe it was just me on that night feeling cheap or something. They are definitely charging "The Sheratons are right across the street" prices on the vino. It has been about a year and a half since I've been. Service was pleasant.

El Establo - one visit, pretty good, over a year ago, I'd definitely go back. Service was nice.

La Brigada - I go on almost every trip now. Service is always very good, and it is a relatively short walk from my place. The food has never disappointed.

Gaucho100K Jun 28, 2009 4:53 pm

Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Great reports... thanks to all for the updates !!!

tcook052 Jun 28, 2009 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by ziobacio (Post 11982365)
A great lunch for my wife and me is a couple of steak sandwiches and a liter of Stella Artois.

Too funny :D as I had the same Stella 1L bottle the waiter said was cold and he wasn't kidding as it still had ice on it like it came out of the freezer. Sure enough when I poured it turned into a frozen beer treat like a Slurpee in my glass. During the meal the ice melted onto the table soaking the napkins.

Also too funny for timing as I was just unpacking from the EZE trip and put the little La Cholita fridge magnets on my fridge minutes before returning to FT and reading your post. Good memories. ^

Gaucho100K Jun 29, 2009 5:36 am

Drinking Stella in EZE..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

:p