FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Best steak house in Buenos Aires (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/796889-best-steak-house-buenos-aires.html)

i'mlovin'it Apr 4, 2008 10:44 am

Originally Posted by mesadler (Post 9354143)
While I actually like Cabana Las Lilas, maybe it's because I'm a gringo :)

Same here :D. I've eaten at the owner's other restaurants in Sao Paulo and Madrid. Loved them all!

gdlead01 Apr 12, 2008 3:07 pm

My favorite beef restaurants

Here for my fourth trip to Buenos Aires and this time am spending three months. My personal favorites are El Mundo on Maipu for Bife de Lomo and Pichi Huasi on Uriburu (1/4 block from Las Heras) for Bife de Chorizo. El Mundo has gotten a little pricy but has been consistent good steak since my first visit in 1993. Pichi Huasi is a small hidden gem - a neighborhood restaurant. Another rather good meal at Pichi Huasi is the Medallions de Lomo con Champignons - a SMALL bife de lomo in a demi-glace. It is small but so good.
I also agree with the recommendations for Yugo. Last night I ate there and had a Bife de Chorizo that was huge. The Flan Mixto was excellent to finish off a very good dinner.

Jaimito Cartero Apr 12, 2008 3:34 pm

I've eaten at El Mundo a few times, as they're around the corner from my apartment. Pretty good, but not in the top 20% of my favorites.

I ate at El Yugo this week, and got an Ojo de Bife. Decent, but not too flavorful. Service was good, as I was the only one in the restaurant for the first 30 minutes (I arrived at 8:15pm). I also got the Flan Mixta which was very good for 9 pesos.

I've still gotten some of my best meals at L'Alliance on 945 Cordoba near Suipacha. Don't make the mistake of going into the bigger La Chacra restaurant (with the cow out front). They have a very nice grill going. Prices have gone up a lot for beef over the last two months, but still very reasonable for the quality you get. I got an excellent Bife de Chorizo two months ago, for 23 pesos, it's now 32 pesos. It's run by a US Expat, and he has some very nice menu items. Even the small pizzas for 10-12 pesos are a great deal. The chicken pesto is easily a full meal in itself, and the empanadas are the best I've had in Buenos Aires.

Gaucho100K Apr 18, 2008 6:05 am

Jaimito.... Ive never been to LAlliance before... thanks for the heads up, I will have to check it out.

kchung Apr 18, 2008 10:04 am

La Brigada

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 9482425)
The Bife Uruguayo is basically a Bife de Chorizo (or comparable cut)... but its presented in different manners (depending on where you order it), but usually sliced in three with different side dishes.

Gaucho 100K, I'm just curious - what would that be if you single out one steak or cut at La Brigada. Would that be Tapa de Ojo de bife, Asado de Tira especial, or Bife de Chorizo?

kchung Apr 18, 2008 10:28 am

[QUOTE=kchung;9595442]Deleted.

Gaucho100K Apr 18, 2008 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by kchung (Post 9595442)
Gaucho 100K, I'm just curious - what would that be if you single out one steak or cut at La Brigada. Would that be Tapa de Ojo de bife, Asado de Tira especial, or Bife de Chorizo?

If I understand your question, you are asking me which of the above cuts I would prefer....? Well, thats a hard one since Im such a serious canrivore that I love pretty much ALL cuts of beef.... but that said, the Bife de Chorizo is not on my A list... while the Ojo de Bife and the Asado de Tira are two of my all time favorites.

However... if you have the "classic" north-american taste in beef, I suggest you take caution with the Asado de Tira, as its somewhat chewy and not especially tender... this is a difficult cut for most folks, lets say its an acquired taste.

Hope this helps....

Cheers,
Alex (Gaucho100K)

kchung Apr 18, 2008 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 9596728)
If I understand your question, you are asking me which of the above cuts I would prefer....? Well, thats a hard one since Im such a serious canrivore that I love pretty much ALL cuts of beef.... but that said, the Bife de Chorizo is not on my A list... while the Ojo de Bife and the Asado de Tira are two of my all time favorites.

However... if you have the "classic" north-american taste in beef, I suggest you take caution with the Asado de Tira, as its somewhat chewy and not especially tender... this is a difficult cut for most folks, lets say its an acquired taste.

Hope this helps....

Cheers,
Alex (Gaucho100K)

Thank you Alex, let me ask you about Tapa de Ojo de Bife this time. Is it what they call 30 oz Ribeye at La Brigada? Someone said it's a pure deckle. Is that right?

stevenshev Apr 18, 2008 8:19 pm

By the way, attempted the Recoleta La Brigada on April 5th. Most certainly closed. San Telmo, and the Ojo de Bife (thanks, Gaucho) were excellent.

Gaucho100K Apr 19, 2008 2:19 am

Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

The 30 ounce ribeye should be Ojo de Bife con tapa.

As for deckle.... not really. While Ojo de Bife will have fat, good quality ojo de bife will be marbled just right, and not be overly fatty.

kchung Apr 19, 2008 9:44 am

Tapa de Ojo de Bife

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 9598795)
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

The 30 ounce ribeye should be Ojo de Bife con tapa.

As for deckle.... not really. While Ojo de Bife will have fat, good quality ojo de bife will be marbled just right, and not be overly fatty.

Thank you again, Alex. I've never heard about Ojo de Bife con Tapa at La Brigada. So how many different cuts of Ojo de Bife they offer there? And what could be the main reason for you to think La Brigada is THE best parrilla in Buenos Aires above all other famous parrillas, such as La Cabrera, El Mirasol,etc?

Gaucho100K Apr 21, 2008 10:53 am

Originally Posted by kchung (Post 9599800)
Thank you again, Alex. I've never heard about Ojo de Bife con Tapa at La Brigada. So how many different cuts of Ojo de Bife they offer there? And what could be the main reason for you to think La Brigada is THE best parrilla in Buenos Aires above all other famous parrillas, such as La Cabrera, El Mirasol,etc?

Its hard to say how many different cuts of Ojo de Bife there are... just like saying how many different styles of bife de lomo you can get. This is complicated because many restaurants buy the "entire animal" and then have their chef/grill-master carve out the cuts according to the house tradition. Hence, while there is an "accepted text-book definition" of each cut, this is rather hard to follow in practice.

This is especially the case for restaurants or parrillas that have special "house-cuts" that each establishment defines and executes to their liking. Part of the art of serving excellent grilled meats is to be able to know and properly read the differences in each animal... the experienced grill-master will know when what cut will be especially tender (or tough), juicy or even chewey.... its rather complicated to explain and even harder to execute. I consider myself to be quite an experienced amateur griller and while Ive gotten better at selecting beef for my weekend asados, its very hard to pick absolute winning cuts every weekend. The guys that know their stuff will tell you that its a function of the size & weight of the animal, the different tones of the layers of fat, etc. etc. Its almost an Occult Science... :eek: :D

Why is La Brigada on top of my list....?? well, its because I think it combines the best possible mixture of ambiance (with soccer & tango memorabilia among others), generally good service, excellent wine list, and amazing quality of the beef (but this last trait is shared by various establishments around town). Not to say that La Cabrera doesnt also do most of these things... just that for me La Brigada is over these past few years the best consistent experience for a meat-specialty restaurant.

I dont have much to say about El Mirasol... only that the last time I went there there was just a vibe about the place that didnt do it for me... but I dont have any hard-facts or cant remember of a specific experience to share just now. I will have to defer to the experience of others on this specific establishment.

kchung Apr 21, 2008 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 9608617)
Its hard to say how many different cuts of Ojo de Bife there are... just like saying how many different styles of bife de lomo you can get. This is complicated because many restaurants buy the "entire animal" and then have their chef/grill-master carve out the cuts according to the house tradition. Hence, while there is an "accepted text-book definition" of each cut, this is rather hard to follow in practice.

This is especially the case for restaurants or parrillas that have special "house-cuts" that each establishment defines and executes to their liking. Part of the art of serving excellent grilled meats is to be able to know and properly read the differences in each animal... the experienced grill-master will know when what cut will be especially tender (or tough), juicy or even chewey.... its rather complicated to explain and even harder to execute. I consider myself to be quite an experienced amateur griller and while Ive gotten better at selecting beef for my weekend asados, its very hard to pick absolute winning cuts every weekend. The guys that know their stuff will tell you that ist a function of the size & weight of the animal, the different tones of the layers of fat, etc. etc. Its almost an Occult Science... :eek: :D

Why is La Brigada on top of my list....?? well, its because I think it combines the best possible mixture of ambiance (with soccer & tango memorabilia among others), generally good service, excellent wine list, and amazing quality of the beef (but this last trait is shared by various establishments around town). Not to say that La Cabrera doesnt also do most of these things... just that for me La Cabrera is over these past few years the best consistent experience for a meat-specialty restaurant.

I dont have much to say about El Mirasol... only that the last time I went there there was just a vibe about the place that didnt do it for me... but I dont have any hard-facts or cant remember of a specific experience to share just now. I will have to defer to the experience of others on this specific establishment.

Thank you, Alex. It was a great information. Regarding the aquired taste of Asado de Tira, I don't think I would have any difficulty in having them, for I myself am a Korean-American and the majority of Koreans originally tend to prefer the chewy and flavorful beef rather than tender ones with very little flavor although their tastebud seem to change nowadays. Real Korean barbecued beef ribs could be real chewy(short and thick ones - very similar with La Brigada's Asado de Tira especial) - not like their thin Los Angeles counterpart(Americanized Korean barbecued beef ribs). Anyway I really appreciate you for your sincere replies. All the best, Kang

Gaucho100K Apr 21, 2008 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by kchung (Post 9608804)
Thank you, Alex. It was a great information. Regarding the aquired taste of Asado de Tira, I don't think I would have any difficulty in having them, for I myself am a Korean-American and the majority of Koreans originally tend to prefer the chewy and flavorful beef rather than tender ones with very little flavor although their tastebud seem to change nowadays. Real Korean barbecued beef ribs could be real chewy(short and thick ones - very similar with La Brigada's Asado de Tira especial) - not like their thin Los Angeles counterpart(Americanized Korean barbecued beef ribs). Anyway I really appreciate you for your sincere replies. All the best, Kang

My pleasure, Kang!!

Please allow me to congratulate you and all Koreans on their superior meat eating knowledge and heritage.... in Asia, the most proficient meat eaters that Ive encountered have always been Koreans - and I lived in various Asian cities for over 5 years so I know what Im talking about. I have fond memories of eating all that meat over my many business trips to Seoul... and all the drinking and all the rest of the stuff, back in my bachelor years... :o :p

kchung Apr 22, 2008 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 9611282)
My pleasure, Kang!!

Please allow me to congratulate you and all Koreans on their superior meat eating knowledge and heritage.... in Asia, the most proficient meat eaters that Ive encountered have always been Koreans - and I lived in various Asian cities for over 5 years so I know what Im talking about. I have fond memories of eating all that meat over my many business trips to Seoul... and all the drinking and all the rest of the stuff, back in my bachelor years... :o :p

Wow! I never knew you had business trips to Seoul and lived in Asian cities for over 5 years. I hope it was a real pleasant experience for you especially enjoying Korean Kalbi(Short Ribs) and Bulgogi(Marinated Sirloin)in Seoul. Alex, have you tried Grilled Chadol(Korean version of sliced Deckle) which could be real chewy and delicious? Kang